Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 517
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208264 times)
SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 1:53pm

a lot of good looking slings here.
the one of JustKnot is very beautifull. I'm going to make one like that.
here's some of mine
Never mind the atlatls and darts in the back Wink

the brown-pouched one is currently one of my favorites as is the black pouched one right under it.
the black one makes a nice whipping sound when I handle it propperly.
in the corner left under is an adjutable sling, lenght up to 130cm folded. well suited for big stones.
this one and the blue one, as well as a sling without any knots or stiches at all, are better vieuwed here :
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1136663600/0#0

hope you like them
Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 12:24am

Shocked Nice work, both slings and atlatls!
That's a very good photo; it belongs in the members' gallery I reckon.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007 at 8:23pm by Jaz »  

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 3:09pm

Second that!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:06pm

wooooow, that are some nice slings and atlatls!!!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:35pm

Because there are a lot of great (and a few EXCELLENT) posts here, I made this sticky (for now, anyway).

I'll have to ask again though, that as long as this is sticky, 
can we keep comments on the pictures on different threads
,  Please?

Thanks,
CanDo

If anyone disagrees with the sticky decision, just send me a PM - I don't have a good feel of public opinion at this point.

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 1:22pm

Hi

thanks for your nice reactions!

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:28am

Six strand retention cord, pouch woven with Matthias' instructions (http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168848146/0 - great stuff, Matthias  Smiley), three strand release cord. Made from 2mm nylon cord. I haven't tested it yet.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2007 at 6:38am by Jaz »  

IMG_.JPG (318 KB | )
IMG_.JPG

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #22 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 7:35pm

Here's my to slings (can't figure out how to post them properly so I make two posts..):

This first one is the one I was talking about making in the thread "Apache slinging". Came out pretty well i think, throws good. The pouch is made from black leather, and the strings are braided from persienna strings.

Slunga_2.JPG (36 KB | )
Slunga_2.JPG

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #23 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 7:37pm

The second one I made several years ago, can't really remember when. The strings are made from leather boot laces. Leather in the pouch is the same as above.

Thanks.
Jonas.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:46am by Jonas.N »  

Slunga_1.JPG (27 KB | )
Slunga_1.JPG

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 3:59pm

I have posted some of my holiday photos from Australia in my Yahoo albums, in there are the photos of Wrenn slinging.
I have not seen him on the forum for a long time so I could not ask permission to post the photos.
So Wrenn, if you see this and you want them removed, please contact me and I will.
Till then you can find them at: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/willeke_igkt/album/576460762392989642/photo/29492880... and following 4.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

scavenger
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:40am

2 apache slings made from 1mm cotton twist

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #26 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 2:19pm

Wow, some great looking slings have been added since the last time I checked this thread. Great work everyone!

Nice to see some looped-warp split pouched out there too. Pretty slick! We need to get those instructions into the articles section I guess.

Matthias

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:44am

I thought I was new to slinging but I recently looked at an old book in my library which describes a sling I made 30 years ago.  After 5 loops (6" long") are made you begin a sheepshank but tie an overhand knot and place the end of the cord through all five loops and pull tight.  Repeat at other end.  I did not use it much 30 years ago.  The sling pictured here works well in the few times I have used it and a golf ball did not slip through the lines of the pouch.  I was not using full force. The name of the book is "Whittlin', Whistles and Thingamagigs" ISBN 0-8117-1882-2.  Tony

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

jml11220
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #28 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 3:20am

This is the first sling I've made, just a day after my first visit to this site. 

and me holding said sling.

IP Logged

jml11220
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #29 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 1:51pm

I had an old and worn out gun belt (The kind with two rows of adjustment holes)that I was going to get rid of.  ...

Before I trashed it though I had a thought that I could make it into a sort of sling pouch.  It assembled well.  I haven't been able to shoot it yet because of the massive storm in the US North East, but it looks good.

I believe in giving credit where due.  This sling is simply a modification of the Dan Bollinger design found here http://www.slinging.org/20.html.  For all braiding instructions please refer to his article.  I could really write it better.

I started by cutting the leather from the belt in two polygon shapes as pictures.  I made them eight spaces in length, with the first and last sections having one of the holes removed by an angular cut.  Make sure to leave enough leather around the singular holes to leave them sturdy for the stress of throwing, about an 1/8th of an inch or more.  It's important to make them an even number of rows in length so the weaving will leave the strings entering and exiting from the leather in the right way.

After braiding the retention cord as per Mr Bollinger's instructions I came to the point where you'd normally split the lines, and braid the pocket.  Instead of braiding I put the strands through the first hole of the belt leather from the side where the ammo would be loaded.

I then weaved the lines in and out of the spaces along the outer edge of the leather, exiting at the other singular hole on the other end.

I then repeated on the other side with the other piece of leather placing it to mirror the first.

To finist the sling simple continue braiding the lines as per Mr. Bollinger's instructions.  The finished pocket looks like this.

And holds well as illustrated by my tennis ball sized metal sphere.

Give it a try.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 517
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man)