Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2232437 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #2250 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 4:08pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 1:31pm:
I made a Christmas leash for Odin.  This one is made from nylon (white cord) and polypropylene with jute whipping.  I've used cords made of natural fibers in the past for their leashes.. cotton, jute, and hemp.  I get about six months out of natural fiber leashes before they become raggedy.  I hope to get better longevity from these synthetic leashes.  Both of these are based on the rockman sling.  

I guess there's polypropylene and there's polypropylene.  This leash I made for Odin is worn out already, yet the one I made from Kali from nylon at the same time is like new still.  Does that mean that nylon is better than polypropylene?  I don't think so.. it was cheap crap dollar store polypropylene.  I bought more at Walmart today.. hopefully it's better quality.  I wasn't expecting to have to make Odin a new leash already.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2251 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 4:24pm

That's a beauty Timann. Wish I could make ones like that. Smiley

IP Logged

dannyj44111
Novicius

It don't mean a thing
if you ain't got a sling

Cleveland, OH USA
Reply #2252 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:29am

Hope all are doing well.  IT has been a while since I posted...

I did a rockman sling.  I used basic twine.  Also pictured is a Roman Lead Sling Bullett.

Accuracy with this sling is at 60-70%  I have better accuracy with a Shorter Length Sling.  Probably about 25-35 feet.

Danny J

Edited:
I resize the photo for you. Masi.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:37pm by Masiakasaurus »  

sling_2_001.jpg (38 KB | )
sling_2_001.jpg

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2253 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:33pm

danny44111, your picture is a bit unclear, but anyway, you should lay the pouch of your Rockman sling flat and let us see how you solved the issues regarding that kind of pouch Smiley

Morphy, you can do it, you know.  It`s not like it`s something mystic or secret about it. When I joined this site I was only able to make a workable 3-strand braid, and so I have just combined stuff I have learned here at slinging.org, or links from here, most of which I at one time have thought that was so complicated I`d never ever bother attempting it.

Just sometimes I have later thought it would be fun to just try it out, just with some short strands, just to see if it was possible...and sometimes I have found it to be.  
And then I have practiced with short strands for a long time before I attempted to make slings with it (I got quite a collection of short pieces of 16 and 24-strand braid, the longest became key fobs).

And after a LOT of practice it is possible to make rather nice slings, that goes for anyone, I would say Wink
timann

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2254 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 1:08pm

This is the sling Iīm using the most right now, Itīs a lot shorter than my 27 inches, yet it might be my favorite.
Better accuracy, better rate of fire and faster shooting are good trade offs for some lost power and distance.

awpsling.JPG (146 KB | )
awpsling.JPG

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #2255 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:47pm

Here's a couple pics of my latest go at making a balearic type sling look really nice. it's medium weight hemp from wal-mart. 3 strands doubled over to make 6 for most of the sling. I added 6 more strands for the pouch to make it stouter and thicker. It tapers off on the release end to 3 strands the the cord. it throws like an absolute champ, although it's a little picky on ammo.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #2256 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:48pm

one more...

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2257 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:32pm

at are monthly gathering this weekend, one of my fellow paleo's surprised me with this awesome alpaca wool sling he picked up in Peru. it's good to have friends!  Cheesy

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #2258 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:36pm

I made another Apache sling. The only difference between this and my past Apache slings is that I used mason's twine and a 4-strand round braid to make it. (The pouch is still made from deer hide.) It's 26 1/2" (67.31cm) long.:

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2259 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:05am

What are your thoughts on deer hide for Apache slings Donner? Just curious.

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #2260 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:53am

This sling is woven from pure wool, 8 strand round braided. The pouch is made of 2 layers of very thin and tear resistant calf leather 0.8 mm.das finger hole is made very constantly cowhide (2.5 mm)
length of the sling 78cm

SAM_0153.JPG (153 KB | )
SAM_0153.JPG

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #2261 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:56am

the same design in black only.
length of the sling 65cm

SAM_0155.JPG (142 KB | )
SAM_0155.JPG

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #2262 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 1:37pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:05am:

It works pretty well.
You have to be wary though, since it does have some stretch to it. For some reason, it seems to stretch in one direction far more easily than others.
I try to cut the pouch so that it stretches side-to-side, rather than along it's length or diagonally. (that way it sort of cups around the ammo on it's own.)

All-in-all, I think it's a great material for slings with a hybrid pouch such as an Apache sling. (Since the cradle cords give it some support.)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2263 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 3:21pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 1:37pm:
Morphy wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:05am:

It works pretty well.
You have to be wary though, since it does have some stretch to it. For some reason, it seems to stretch in one direction far more easily than others.
I try to cut the pouch so that it stretches side-to-side, rather than along it's length or diagonally. (that way it sort of cups around the ammo on it's own.)

All-in-all, I think it's a great material for slings with a hybrid pouch such as an Apache sling. (Since the cradle cords give it some support.)

I agree. I have some brain tanned (or so I'm told) deer hide. It's feel is almost a mix of cloth and leather. It's very supple and flexible. Without the sides supported as on an Apache it would probably not be durable enough. With the Apache design it makes superior slings. Those guys really knew their stuff.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #2264 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:25pm

old pics of balearic style slings I had made several months ago out of #24 nylon mason's line and leather

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris)