Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2232827 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #105 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 8:07pm

Thomas' non-traditional

IMAG0046.JPG (158 KB | )
IMAG0046.JPG

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #106 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 8:12pm

Thomas' non-traditional

IMAG0052.JPG (311 KB | )
IMAG0052.JPG

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

elephas17
Tiro

Slinging is freakin' sweet.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reply #107 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:59pm

This is my new braided sling that I made from jute twine bought from the local hardware store, and following instructions from Dan Bollinger's article (thanks, Dan). It is hairy and smells a bit funky, so I've named it 'Sasquatch'. I seriously think I might be in love with it, it works so nicely for me.

sasquatch2.JPG (98 KB | )
sasquatch2.JPG

"Slinging is man's best medicine". - Hippocrates of Cos

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #108 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 10:17pm

Nice looking sling sir.
Got a couple that look similar,
Although Sisal and Hemp are my favorites vegitable fibers to braid.

Marc Adkins

elephas17 wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:59pm:
This is my new braided sling that I made from jute twine bought from the local hardware store, and following instructions from Dan Bollinger's article (thanks, Dan). It is hairy and smells a bit funky, so I've named it 'Sasquatch'. I seriously think I might be in love with it, it works so nicely for me.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

joshskijam

Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!

NY
Reply #109 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 10:50pm

Here is a braid sling, but it has a woven pouch. Its all one piece w/ exception of the hemp that is used in the weave. So its strong and not going to break.

josh_skijam84 joshskijam  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #110 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 4:13am

Very nice. Did you start with a split pouch like the one in the previous photo and just weave the solid pouch over it?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

elephas17
Tiro

Slinging is freakin' sweet.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reply #111 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I agree, that is a very handsome woven pouch.

"Slinging is man's best medicine". - Hippocrates of Cos

IP Logged

joshskijam

Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!

NY
Reply #112 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 6:15pm

If I ever get a digital camera I could make a tutorial but in the mean time, lets see if i can explain...

I take 8 strands that are long enough to make both cords and the length of the pouch.  Fold them in half.  Take 4 strands that are long enough for the pouch and long enough to braid the excess a couple of inches into the cords. Fold these 4 in half. Put them with the eight strands.  I like to move like an inch and a half from the centers of the cords and tie a string around them to hold them in place. Get all the shorter stings in the center, it will make weaving the pouch easier later. Do a 12 string square braid for like 3 inches. Separate out the short strings and take all the long ones and do a 8 string square braid until you get your desired length.

To weave the pouch I tie all 12 string to a dowel. The pouch comes out better the wider you spread out all the strings. Now here is where this sling differentiates from the other woven pouches. I use a strand approximately 9 feet and put the middle in between 6 of the strands of the sling. Pull both ends together and cross them on the one side. You have to get one going up and one going down. I really don't know how to explain it. In a normal weave the string goes under one, then over the next. In this one end is going under a string and the other one goes over. Its pretty simple, just hard to explain. I group 6 together for 2 rows, then 4, then 3, then 2, then 1....keep weaving to get you half the pouch. Then move the 12 strands together on the dowel. And do the same as before, only reversed. Tie the two ends of the string your using to weave when your done. You can manipulate the pouch to get the shape you want. Pulling the outer ones will give you a rounder pouch.

To finish it up, go back to a  12 string square braid till the 4 strands are all most used up to. I try and get both sides even. Then separate the 4 shorter strings. With the remaining 8, do a square braid again until you get your length you want.

You now have 4 strings hanging out of the cord in 2 places. I like to put them on a needle and thread them through in the opposite direction to hold them in place. 

Tie your release knot and make a retention loop and your done.

I hope that makes sense!!!

josh_skijam84 joshskijam  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #113 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 12:25am

Those are pretty clear instructions I would say.

So it looks like you are twining the weft, which is what I have usually done also.

Nice work Smiley

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #114 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:39am

My dear that sling is gorgeous, in fact, when I go home I am going to test out your tutorial!  Grin

Ethan, I really like the photos of you slinging...as photos themselves and not just the sling.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #115 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 9:21pm

Why thank you!  Smiley

The top one nearly proved painful, because I was tripping. The photo looks funny, though. I have a few of myself slinging, same day and location, but with a nice sunset in the background. They're pretty nice.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #116 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:34pm

I finally uploaded the sunset one... I like it. These are all taken by my brother, Jake.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Asturian
Tiro

Sl¡ng¡n' RoCkS!!!!

Oaxaca, México
Reply #117 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:04am

this is my first braided woven pouch sling

Imagen000.jpg (19 KB | )
Imagen000.jpg

DEXA!!!
Asturian  
IP Logged

Asturian
Tiro

Sl¡ng¡n' RoCkS!!!!

Oaxaca, México
Reply #118 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:06am

and this is a close up of the pouch
sorry the images are crappy, i took them with my cellphone Grin

Imagen001.jpg (20 KB | )
Imagen001.jpg

DEXA!!!
Asturian  
IP Logged

ara
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #119 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:58pm

A first post for me. I really like the handiwork I see throughout this section and I'm beginning to learn how personal a sling is. My first stop, unless someone has other suggestions, is going to be to Google "Braiding for the Compleat Idiot" and see where that gets me.

Learning (1) braiding and (2) braiding techniques (going from one braided leg to a broadening pouch and back to another braided leg, for example) are on the list.

Great input here.

ara

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)