Send Topic Print
Hiya from Oz (Read 3504 times)
dazza
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Hiya from Oz
Jan 23rd, 2007 at 2:51pm

Hiya everyone,

Long time lurker here!! I have been occasionally lurking here for a couple of years and finally got around to joining this informative community.

I live in Parkes (home of "the Dish") New South Wales Australia, out in the bush. I have had a go at making a sling but it needs a helping hand. Luckily Aussieslinger is sending me a pouch to help me a bit (*waves* thanks).  Really looking forward to learning slinging. BTW is there any lefty's here? Does this pose much of a problem or does anyone have any lefty tips for me?
Thanks in advance if you do.

Michaela

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: Hiya from Oz
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:44pm

Being left handed isn't much of a problem for me, it just gets a little annoying when you're reading a complicated description of a throwing style, and you mix up where to swing what.  For some reason I tend to sling and throw right handed most of the time though, but I do almost everything else left handed.  Welcome to the forum!

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 7:01pm

Welcome dazza,

We have a few lefties here.  I haven't heard of any tips nor problems being a left handed slinger so far!  Hope you'll have a good time here.

Tint

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 3:31am

Dazza!

So  glad I noticed this posting! You see the pouch I sent you is designed for right-handed use. As you know the releasing action of the sling causes the projectile to spin on its own axis as well as the forward motion imparted to it which propels it towards the target. In the northern hemisphere this spin is counteracted by the clockwise rotation of the Earth. This is why the previous comments have said there is nothing to worry about. However in the southern hemisphere the Earth's spin is added to that of the projectile. This effect worsens the further you are away from the equator so much so that a person standing on the south pole would not be able to throw any direction other than north.

Do not despair because there is a simple solution to this problem. You must reverse the ends to which the retention and release cords are attached. So before you attach the cords, make up your mind which end of the pouch is which, (initial decision is arbitrary) and then reverse them. However should a right-handed person use your sling, especially on the south pole, shots are likely to be unpredictable and still heading only north. Grin

Regards

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 6:36am

That's funny!!lol Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 6:04pm

I don't know much about the Coriolis effect, but I did hear that it is not as powerful as is commonly believed.  I looked it up on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

Anyways, I don't think that it's effect would be nearly enough to make a difference in your slinging, at least not more than a millimeter or two.  (However, Germany's large artillery during the world wars, which were said to have a range of up to 70 or so miles, were effected by the Coriolis effect and the curvature of the earth.)  Basically, unless you can top 'Big Bertha' in range, I don't think you need to worry  Smiley.  That was good thinking though, something like that would never occur to most people.  (Looking back, I sound a bit like a jerk, so sorry about that,  I'm not trying to, I'm just trying to keep things simple.)

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:57pm

Hi Cliff,

Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention to belittle anyone, certainly not your comment, which I did not consider silly in any way.  Whilst not a lefty myself my sister is and like you she tends to do some things with her left and others with her right. I know it can be frustrating to live in a world where everything is the wrong way around for you. I had to be so careful when driving in Germany, and that was only for a week or two. We drive the English way here, on the left side of the road.

My little rave is from beginning to end absolute nonsense, intended only as a joke. Telling "tall stories" is somewhat of a national past-time in Australia where the whole aim of the game is making them utterly preposterous and yet somehow believable at the same time. The only thing in the whole story that is true is that a person standing on the south pole can only throw north. This has nothing to do with slinging, but is a quirk of geography. As all the lines of longitude converge, for a person standing exactly on the south pole, any direction is north. (And vv. for the norh pole.)

As for the Coriolis effect I had not heard of it by name at all and thank you for educating me on something which is fascinating in itself. One common story put about here is that whirpools in the northern hemisphere rotate the opposite way to the way they do here. Whilst I have no scientific proof to the contrary, this also sounds as far fetched as my story.

Apologies and regards,

Aussieslinger

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 12:06pm

There is some truth to the Coriolis force thing -- but only on a planetary scale.  Hurricanes and things like that may rotate oppposite ways either side of the equator.  But your bath water is much more affected by how you sloshed the water, an hour ago, than by the Coriolis force.

Nice story, by the way, Aussieslinger!  You had me going, right up to when you talked about how extreme this mysterious effect is at the south pole.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 9:20pm

aussieslinger
You didn't offend me at all!  I don't even know what I would have been offended by.  Seriously, don't worry about it.  I was just wondering about what you said about the spin of the earth, and I was like "Is this guy serious?".  I'm glad to hear you're not.  Just, some people like to overcomplicate things, and I thought that's what you were doing, so I tried to correct you.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 11:24pm

Glad to hear it friend!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)