Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's with the Wiki? (Read 5283 times)
ADAXL

Greetings to Slinging.org!

Vienna, Austria (Europe)
What's with the Wiki?
Dec 10th, 2006 at 3:03pm

I just went into the Wiki and edited the article on the Staff-Sling. I noticed the Wiki hardly gets any contributions. So, what's the status of project Goliath?

PS: Maybe you shouldn't have named the project after the big, silly guy who ended up dead.

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: What's with the Wiki?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 4:54pm

I have also noticed that, it's a shame  Undecided.  I have been meaning to work on it, but I haven't contributed anything yet, so I am one of the guilty ones...  I will edit it in a bit, but I am extremely busy for the time being. (I only have time to drop in for like 5 min or so...)

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 1:55am

We are all doing the best we can Embarrassed.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 7:26am

Mostly the wiki gets done when someone wants to do something on it. Wanting and doing are two different things as well. All up you have to know something about slinging and also have the ability to research and follow up your work. All up this means most people are too lazy to work on the wiki itself.

What is interesting is that there is a lot of non-english work out there being translated for the wiki but not very many english speaking people care enough to work on the wiki.

There is also the fact that slinging.org itself doesn't actually have that many scholars interested in working on it. Sadly we don't encourage them to continue working on it either when they do.

On the bright side if you want to work on the wiki then I would be happy to continue to help out with editing and anything else that needs doing. I have tried to get some more drawing and art work that is not copyrighted, or at least we can get the copyright to; This is a time consuming job and requires me to rely on other people who some times don't come through with the goods.

One of the team who are working on these things is Tint who has done the video work for the wiki (eventually to be put up) and Siguy who currently is working on the drawing for the casting styles page.

We do have a Mathematician who has helped us out with the physics because he was interested but he has not been active recently.

To every one on the message boards, if you can write or even if you can mostly write but know something about slinging that's not on the wiki please contribute. I'll ensure that you are readable and will not change the intent of your writing that's what a good editor does.

As for the feeling guilty; If you have time hunt down those who have publications on slinging and ask their permission for them to be reprinted on the wiki. If you're not up to talking to them personally please put them in contact with me or the web-admin.

Anything you can input will be appreciated.

nightweave
Self appointed wiki editor

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 3:11pm

I inserted some additional remarks on the bola in the wiki - 5.3 sling-related weapons.

funda

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 6:26pm

This project has been around for several years now and has been creeping forward since it's inception.  It's certainly a great place for people to deposit little nuggets of information.  Unfortunately, most of the discussion on the forum is about experience and not historical.  When there are more scholarly discussions, much of the information never makes it to the wiki to get preserved.

It might help to promote the wiki on the front page.  I've held off fearing additional spam.  It might be best that only people who've been active in the forum know about it. 

The wikipedia page on slings has grown substantially - where are those people coming from?

I have to admit that I've not played a huge role my self.  However, I did put in a good deal of time writing a publishable paper, which I felt was best conduit to start correctly representing slings in the literature.  I'm the only author claiming the sling could approach 700m!  (2-4 times more range than most authors)  I hope people start referencing the paper and set the record straight!

If you haven't already read it, here is a local copy:
http://www.slinging.org/47.html

Chris

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 5:29am

Chris,
I think it is not easy for newcomers to figure out how to contribute to the wiki effectively. The software gives a framework, but it is a flexible one and means there need to be other guidelines to help.

For example, I read (somewhere) that the plan was for 'individually authored' sections. In those circumstances one gets nervous about contributing and "treading on someone else's toes" - which is the last thing most of us would want to do. Most of us probably want to stop short of acting as self-appointed editors and dumping chunks of someone else's work in favor of our own offering, but it's not clear how we do that in the present structure, where duplication of the same information somehow looks wrong - I guess that the Wikipedia style pages just look too 'final'. It seems to me that very few of the Wikepedia articles on the web are other than substantially single author contributions.

I suppose the difficulty I find is the lack of a 'melting pot' of contributions, so that we can contribute without having to act as editor (censor?!) on other people's work. In the old days of WIKIs (5-6 years ago!) one saw that a lot.

Maybe that is what the 'discussion' sections are meant to be for, but I don't know. They do not appear to be used much in that way.

I hope these comments make some sense. I think the Wiki - and this entire web site - is a great thing, and would really like for it to grow.

BTW - any chance of getting the math mode to work?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:01pm

I'll throw my two cents in as well speaking from my experience. Those of us that fit into the "scholar" category of members have other projects going on in our lives. In my case it's a Public Health masters thesis.
I do have a couple of things in mind that would make good inclusions into the Golith project. but I have to have the time to pursue these side projects in addition to the demands that family is putting on me.
I know that at least one other member on this board who I regularly communicate with is in a similar boat.
this is what happens when you deal with a volunteer non profit project.  you get good data at a maddingly slow rate.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 1:05am

Sandbumoen wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 6:26pm:
It might help to promote the wiki on the front page.  I've held off fearing additional spam.  It might be best that only people who've been active in the forum know about it.  

Chris

Doing so would probably result in more contributions, but they might not be worth much if random people stumbling across the site just decided to contribute a little piece of information they had picked up somewhere (which would not neccessarily be correct ), and there's smam... But the link to the wiki is almost hidden away. I wonder how many people on the forum don't even know of it's existence?  Questioning Possibly quite a few.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 1:24am

A little icon at the top of the forum like the "Return to homepage", "Forum chat" etc. ones might help a bit.  Huh

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:42pm

I think people have some good points.  When I next update the forum template, I'll include a link to the wiki.  Of course, it's not clear how many people understand what a wiki is.   (most wikipedia users don't realize they can edit for example).

Project Goliath started out with the assumption people would latch on to small projects and solo-author them.  This model has faded away because 1) few people have sufficient expertise to be the sole author, 2) few people have the time to do a whole section, 3) people want to contribute tidbits and not pages.

This model was also needed because we didn't have a system like a wiki in place when we first started.

Of course, when it was clear the project was floundering, and wiki's had matured sufficiently, I put one up.  Contributions have certainly increased, mainly because the barrier for entry is much lower, which is a good thing.

People can still work on single section - in fact, some have.  I encourage all people to put their names on the pages.  If and when this grows into a publishable entity, everyone will get credit for the sections they contributed to.  Major contributors will get overarching recognition. 

Chris

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:13am

To save the wiki looking messy with names all over it suggest using the link I put down the bottom of the main page for credits from each contributing person. That way we get a Bibliolography (Spelling) for the wiki.   

Better yet get yourself a logon and you'll be automatically attributed with the edits you do in the history of the wiki. It's also one of the reasons you can do the version control on a wiki.

Still more education for those who don't know how a wiki works. If you don't want to have your name on the work then don't log in. Either way those are better options than have names and letters scattered all over the place making it look untidy.

There are also extensions you can put into the wiki which maybe able to help with attributing and referencing data, with these loaded the wiki can also become allot better.

Anyway that's my two cents.

In conclusion please don't make the wiki messy use the log on like a wikipedia user does or use the credits page that I have supplied for this reason.

Nightweave

Most of this I have said in my Project Goliath posts already, if that sounds a bit on the whinny side you get that.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:29am

Hey it's been awhile, nightweave!  how have you been?

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 5:19am

Hey Tint,

Yes it has been a long time, been working and learning. So that means that my editing has been suffering and thus so has the wiki.
I am impressed with your slinging video hopefully Chris will upload them into the wiki (hint) for us so they can go alongside the slinging instructions.

I also have been getting side tracked by my sword fighting and learning George Sliver's works on duelling. Lots of fun and lots of sore arms, legs and body.

What about yourself how have you been keeping?
Have you changed jobs yet?

Have you seen anything from Siguy recently?

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 5:53am

really, where's siguy?

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)