Send Topic Print
New Canadian (Read 25894 times)
lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: New Canadian
Reply #60 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 10:43pm

Hey Hey Hey...Vikings are a sturdy and good looking people, no argument. But for development of the world in general, art, fighting, eating bread with maggots in it, fun to sing chanteys or almost anything else of value one has to thank the Pirate.

Odin and Thor are old and, no offense, probably overestimated in popular literature.

For a real god we should look to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his minions the Dolphins (NDOs).

But if you are happy with your old fashioned Odin and Thor with nary a minion in sight then I support your misled belief.

Cheesy

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #61 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 12:09pm

I defy you and your Spaghetti beast for I am one with the Æsir and together with the mighty thunder of Thor and the eye sacrificed to Mimir we shall bringeth ye down! JARR! Tongue

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #62 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 5:56pm

Awww, isn't that cute...I just had a bit of thunder at my house...Oooo feel the godly power of Thor...Oh my, I better go prostrate myself or hide or something... Cry

It is Monster...and he can Fly...
The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

He has a Noodly Appendage the like of which was not even the merest glimmer of a thought to your old gods.

But that thunder was really scary, really. I bet Thor and his girlfriend Mimir would be a real scary duo, really...

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #63 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:14am

There is a thunder god in Chinese Mythology too.  He is suppose to punish to wicked but during storms it is hard for him to see.  Even with the help of the lightening godness, the wrong person may get struck down. Cry

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #64 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:12pm

Yea, that's the problem with those Thunder gods...The Flying Spaghetti Monster, on the other hand, is very discerning with its Noodly Appendage no matter what the weather is like. And the Dolphins are just fantastic all the way around...

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #65 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 9:17pm

Youse guys are really tickin of da Killer Whales!! Ya better lighten up or ya gonna get wacked!! Cool

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #66 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 9:54pm

See...even the Big Kahuna is on the side of seafaring overlords...Like the NDO's, Pirates or the FSM...All hail our watery overlords Cheesy

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #67 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:56am

The thunder doesn't suprise me one bit Lupis.   Thor was just takeing  Rumchops out for his walk, to what he says if the only tree big enough for him, no idea what that means but it must be a big tree, Rumchops is the only dog I know who has the bad habit of snapping at eagles.  Just as   they were leaving he saw the post and said "He may be go the long way round." They came back giggling and smelling of ozone.
Thanks for the tip off  bigkahuna but we're not worried about killer whales, they're so old they're still in black and white.  If you say it's post Ragornok then ok I'll take your word for it Bjärn, it's just that ...well....I always thought that giants would be.....sort of ..... a bit taller.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #68 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:59pm

Mimir was a well! Thor's woman's name is Sif, lol. She was one sexy beast!
Every mythology has a similar set of gods...Not the same, dont misquote that..but kind of similar. So does Latvia, they call him Perkons.
What you think a man whose hammer can send out sparks large enough to knock down immensely tall trees wouldnt be tall himself?

Just LOOK at the size of that hammer....even the NDOs bow..because theyre in league with him. They DO swim the waters that make the clouds that give the message to the god of thunder to make his lightning. JARR HARR

I swear this wasnt photoshopped Roll Eyes

Post Number 666!!!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #69 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 7:02pm

Bjärn, I truly am honored that you chose my introduction in which to place your six hundred and sixty sixth post.
For that I am willing to admit that sometimes, not always, but on the odd occasion I am somewhat awed by Thor and other similar Old Gods...

Stringman, that was a nice one about the Killer Whales being in black and white...lol

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #70 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 11:51am

I am a man of The Hammer, and I will challenge your Flying Spaghetti Monster anytime, anywhere, with my Gods at my back and a trusty sling or axe at my side! And you may keep your pirates, as cool as they may be. There's never a group anywhere of any time that could raid,or sail, or drink, or fight or tell great epics like the Old Ones. And if you've any doubt of that, look back to Lindisfarne or Paris for your proof. And to any of you iron-hearted bersarkers who stand alongside me in my battles with the FSM, as he is so called, I can promise you HONOR, GLORY AND A PASTA DINNER!! We'll stand and fight and go down in a hail of Ragu and noodles until we are too tired to lift our fork arms any longer, my Jarls! Oh yeah, and I'll brind the mead  Wink And for the record, Thor's pet name for Fenris was "Mister Fwuffles." Truth be told, it was kind of embarrasing hearing the big fella calling him that. Both for Thor and the wolf, really. And should the NDO's decide they want to invade Canada. Well, I think I can scramble a small army of brave men and women to defend the Great White North from these potential invaders. Remember, "Never try to invade Canada in the winter."

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #71 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 9:35pm

OK...Marmot Hunter Wink
1)One should not post if one is Hammered.
2) If the Old Ones are so old what did they tell epics about? There was nothing before them to tell about, so they had to make stuff up. And it was not necessarily good stuff because they were the first and had no examples of epics. So they were ruefully short epics consisting of a beginning and end, no middle. You can see the problem there.
3)I agree that Paris in the springtime is beautiful. I don't know where Lindisfarne is but it is probably pretty too.
4)The Pasta Dinner thing hurt.
5)Being in Canada I would like to take you up on your offer of small scrambled armies, but the NDO's are benign and are the source of our socialized medicine. If any of your armies are injured during their stay in Canada I will give you a copy of my CareCard so they can get fixed right up, and bring home a bucket full of cheap Canadian prescription medicine as a gift.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #72 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 1:03am

Ah yes the well....don't drink from it.  I've just worked out which tree they've been visiting.   Rumchops refuses to answer to Fenris or Mr Fwuffles, but you're probably right, he doesn't answer in a very guilty sort of way.   They  were supposed to be in the Ragornok thing and I suspect that they're trying to stay low untill the fuss dies over.  It would explain a few things.  Like sleeping on my sofa for over two thousand years when he said it was only for a couple of nights.   And Thor asking me to call him Sparky when we are out in town, says "he feels  like a change " ( yeah right ). And he's knitted a hammer cosy, claims  he got the idea from a golfers bag and that it is to discourage rusting and theives  Shocked  He's definately hiding it from someone  . 
There is one thing.  Thor's started carrying a trident around because "it symbolises lightning" but he keeps twirling it like a big fork every time he talks about the FSM. .  Um the FSM has the power of self regenerating doesn't it.....I mean I know it seems a bit dissrespectful and so on but ...well a self creating God could just replace the odd missing noodly appendage couldn't it?  You know what the old gang are like about Italian food.  All that launching longboats over  prisoners was only because they hadn't worked out how to make the perfect pizza yet.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #73 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 8:47pm

What?? Huh

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #74 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 11:50pm

You know how our generation tend to quote from various Monty Python skits?  I think it's something like that ... only I have NO idea what they're referring to.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)