Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Materials in the uk (Read 4254 times)
Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Materials in the uk
Jun 19th, 2005 at 3:49pm

I live in north Wales and i was wondering does any body know where i ca get materials from.  I don't want to imprt though.  Any liks would be great.  Thanks.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Re: Materials in the uk
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 4:06pm

I live in America, but here are some general ideas.
Thrift stores, and Goodwill stores are good places to look for leather. Just look for old shoes, or boots. Dont get vinyl , or fake leather. Yesterday my wife drug me to a garage sale, and I was able to get an old pair of leather shoes with what seems the exact type of leather I perfer for my slings. The person running the garage sale just threw them in for free. You can also try hardware stores. Buy a cheap pair of leather working gloves and use that. As for cords and braided slings,
try hobby shops, Wal-Marts (if you have them), fabric stores and the like. Hope this helps , maybe someone
from Wales  will log-on and can be more helpful then me. Good Luck.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 4:35pm

Pound shops, craft chain shops, car boot sales
Your mother, wive of people next door may have something on stock too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 4:20am

me and Willeke, thank u very much for the info. I'll try going to the local car boot soon  Grin. Thanks again.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 12:10pm

IF you cnat find leather DONT USE IT!  Go to tesco, asda WHSMith wherever and buy some ordianry parcel string, and make a braided sling following these instructions http://slinging.org/20.html, excpet make the sling muuuuch longer.  Although the article uses nylon string works just aswell.  After that you can usediffernet braids, or differnet pockets etc.
This was my first sling and it works Wink
Rik

--Edit-- I see you found you way over here ninja archer im guessing...

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 3:31pm

Black_Snow,

Lionheart is right, slings don't have to use any leather at all.  The first eight slings I made were entirely of nylon twine (mason's line, it's called over here, it's used in construction to mark the level for the next course of bricks).  My first sling, which I still use, was six strands of mason's line, braided just exactly as
Dan Bollinger
describes (this is the same article that Lionheart linked to).  It cost me about US$0.50 and five hours of time.

Twine made of sisal or jute or hemp all work very well also.  I found cotton twine to be too stretchy, but that could be my braiding rather than the twine itself.

By the way, if you are new to slinging, tennis balls make very good sling ammunition.  They are heavy enough you can feel them in the sling, and they won't break your head when you shoot one straight up ("Now where did that stone go? ... THUD").  Or when you goof a release and slap yourself in the side of your head (that one hurt some, but not as much as if it had been a rock!)

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 8:01am

How did you gess Lionheart? After i finish my bow i'm gonna make a sling like the one in the link from lionheart.  Thanks for the advice Dale i'll make sure to buy a load of tennis balls.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 11:50am

loli  dont know many people who have a picture of acat wearing a meoln, suprising really...
Rik

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 11:55am

did you find that pic or is it your own cat Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 12:55pm

I found it on google. I realy hate cats actually. Lionheart, wats ur name on the bowyers den? When i found the pic on google i thought it was so funny and i nearly started to cry because it was so funny. Just look into it's eys...lovl.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 3:25pm

Lol it is a very funny pic, Quoth btw
Rik

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 6:20pm

I wish I could see a larger version of that picture ... but that cat looks p... eeved.

"I'm a professional model, but by the Great Tunafish I've never had a more embarrassing shoot!  A melon!  On my head!  You know how long it's going to take to wash my face of that stuff?  And it's ... it's ... VEGETABLE!  I can't STAND it!"

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 8:46pm

Grin hey black snow...where in wales r u ...anyway materials...also look at webbing for pouches...go to the scrap yard and get old seatbelts it's great stuff.

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 9:44am

Hellier, i'm in the north and u? Good joke Dale  Grin.
If u wanna look at the cat closer go on:
http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/images/03/catmelonhead.htm
Thanks for the info guys  Wink

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 1:39pm

Ohhh, yes!  Thanks for the link, Black_Snow.  Had a look at the (digital) "original" photo, and that cat's stare should have broken the lens!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)