Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
English! You ok? (Read 5009 times)
nwmanitou

Utah, USA
English! You ok?
Jul 7th, 2005 at 10:44am

Hey, I heard the terrible news this morning and I'm just writing to see that all you guys over there in the UK are ok. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: English! You ok?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 2:01pm

I only heard about it at around 12:30 this lunchtime... It's terrible.  The images of the bus, and the train stations...

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:35pm

im watching it on the news right now!!!  Shocked Shocked. JESUS CHRIST, i would never have thought that something even remotely like the Bali Bombings or September 11 could happen in England. it just doesn't seem like the place where it could happen.
i guess it proves that anything can happen anywhere. Angry Undecided Sad Cry
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:15am

We have been through it before, with the IRA, and prior to that a certain German we had a falling-out with. We will survive.

Patrick

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 9:30am

news is a little slow around here. what happend?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:16am

As series of terrorist attacks left more than 37 dead and 700 wounded in London after several explosions rocked the subway system.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 6:42pm

A certain German you had a falling-out with?  Would that be that upstart Austrian house-painter with grandiose visions of a master race (of which he obviously was not a member) and a moustache that he should have hacked off?

Ah, yes, you British!  Don't know of any other people that could take the crap you've had dished out to you, and still keep smiling and fighting.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 4:49am

Man, the IRA did things so similar to this....  I understand that they put a bomb in a John Lewis (a department store) in London, phoned up the shop, told them about the bomb, and then when everyone was evauated, blew up the evacuation area.  And the Debenhams (another department store) down the road in Southampton was bombed once.  We get picked on.

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 12:31pm

Thats the Chap. What ever happened to him?

One of the things that amuses me is the recent world image of the english as soft, but awfully decent. Reading the 17/18th century military authors is fun. They liked to discuss the various peoples of the 'world' by their natures. French - disciplined but hot tempered, Swedes etc - slow moving, phlegmatic. English = violent, agressive, warlike. We are quite fond of mayhem as a people still. Go drinking in a city centre at the weekend if you want evidence.

The scene in trainspotting where ewan macgregor is ranting at being subjugated by the english, the softest people there are makes me laugh. We didn't subjugate the scots with cream teas and fair play. We hacked them up till they gave in. Same will befall these guys I hope.

Quote:
A certain German you had a falling-out with?  Would that be that upstart Austrian house-painter with grandiose visions of a master race (of which he obviously was not a member) and a moustache that he should have hacked off?

Ah, yes, you British!  Don't know of any other people that could take the crap you've had dished out to you, and still keep smiling and fighting.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 6:45am

Yeah.  I think it's true to say that England has been involved in more conflicts than anyone else.  Ever.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 12:41pm

somone my ex new walked into the recrutment center when asked what he would like to do he said kill people so they put him in the infantry

listen to old people

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Works the same here in canada! Tell you want to shoot people and into the infantry you go.

Terrorists are freaking pathetic. To me they cause so much suffering, and grief, not just to the innocent civilians they kill. Here in this part of BC we have millions of people from the middle east, there are more sikh people here than india. Now I'm starting to see them become descriminated against, people forget that for more than a generation these people have been our neighbours, involved in protecting trade unions, and active in politics, our friends, and so on. They see a turbin and start to point fingers.

I vote that england should take a whole ton of money, give it to the SAS and tell them to do whatever it takes to track down those responsible and assasinate them. When I was in the army our unit trained with guys from the SAS, and they are so tough they make navy seals look like girl scouts! Well maybe boy scouts.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 2:06pm

solid and no gungho crap

ever read andy macnabs books

listen to old people

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 3:47pm

Yup, pretty good I thought.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 4:21pm

Sikh people have nothing to do with terrorism whatsoever.  I find that Sikhs are the nicest people in the world - genuinely.  I remember when my parents were looking at buying a new house, and we went to look at a house owned by Sikhs.  We hadn't had lunch, so they practically made us stay and eat with them.  So generous, and they love it if you ask about Sikhism.  Well, they're great.  And some people, for some reason, believe that Muslims are the predominant wearers of turbans.  This is, of course, completely untrue.
  Anyhoo, I also believe that someone should get on the case of the people who did it.  It is very likely to have been a group of British muslims - not from outside.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)