Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
English! You ok? (Read 5013 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: English! You ok?
Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 5:25pm

Air India Flight 182 on June 22, 1985. Canada's worst case of mass murder - 329 people were killed.

ANY group of people is fully capable of what is now classed as "terrorism". On the lenient side of the definition, all you need is poor odds - rebel/freedom/resistance (european too) have resorted to these tactics in the face of overwhelming odds since the beginning of time. The guys with the bigger guns would rather just line up on opposite sides of a field and have at it, but the underdogs don't have much of a choice. On the harsh side all you need is a handful of zealots, a bag of fertiliser and a misuided plan. Where we are now is a mix of both.

Nothing that education and money can't fix, over a generation or seven. Oh and if we could ever develop some kind of vaccine for greed that would halp too.

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 2:27am

I know what you are saying, but definitions like that are usually only convenient to the "winning" team.

334 B-29s fire-bomb Tokyo, killing 100,000 civilians
Dresden
USS Cole

I *think* I know where I'd classify these examples - mostly I'm very thankful to not have had to make this type of decision.

Matthias

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #17 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 6:45am

I am glad that nobody here from our List have suffered with the attack. I've listen the news from my girlfriend, she only told me about it at night, as i was listening to a hole-day course.
Unfortunately, like people said here on different news, we were afraid that some kind of things like this could happen in England after Iraque (Irak) and Afghanistan. I always get furious after seeing something like this, no matter it happens: why  people has to pay with their lives ???
Awful.
Like in USA in that deadly september, I still can't understand what make people  kill others, using religious or political justifications... Cry Cry Cry
My condolences to all the english people, directly here from Rio de janeiro, Brasil.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)