Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Where is this image from? (Read 18334 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Where is this image from?
Apr 27th, 2005 at 12:53am

It's been kicking around in the historical gallery for a while now and I really want to know where it came from.  Has anyone seen it or know anything about it?  Can anyone identify the ship design? 

If it's a legit historical image, it's likely the earliest depiction of sling use in naval warfare.

Help!
Chris

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Re: Where is this image from?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 12:58am

I dunno but to me it kinda looks like how kids who ride the "special" small bus to school would draw viking ships.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 1:26am

True.  But you could say that about this cave painting of a neolithic slinger from Catal Hüyük too (~7000 BC).  They just drew funny in those days Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 1:42am

That's not funny, that's style plain and simple... Some of the Lascaux (for example) paintings have a quality of line and form that can make an artist shiver, and those are 17000 yrs old.

I guess since we don't know where the image comes from we don't know who made the interpretation that it is depicting slings.  I guess we'll never know if tthose egg-people are wielding slings, or pointy paddles or?..

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 4:54am

Being a Swede myself, I can say that those definitely look like Viking "dragon ships". They used to have a carved dragon's head at the front of the ship, presumably for intimidation purposes.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 11:02am

I tried to draw a stick slinger so I could feel superior to those darn cave-slingers... Mine was worse so I guess it's back on the small bus for me.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 11:46am

Note the rams...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 4:47pm

cant be greek could it?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 11:55pm

I'll take back my "maybe not nordic" first impression. I've been doing some digging and have come up with these:

Check out the guys with slings/axes/spears/paddles in number 3. Still haven't found any of those funny egg men. I think that will be the real tie in - this style of boat seems to show up all over europe.

Chris: have you seen this? http://www.rupestre.it/

Fun challenge... I'm still working on it.

Kalnes Norway

Ekenburg Sweden:

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2005 at 2:30am

Very interesting.  I have a vague memory of it being viking.

However, maybe they are not slings.  The second image, from Kalnes Norway, has similar objects.  Maybe they are just ores?  What do people think?

Chris

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2005 at 8:58am

Slings are my guess after enlarging the Norway image. Paddles are too obvious and would not contribute to the story the image conveys. The various sea creatures and animals combined in the same image with dragon warships is interesting.

Tom

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2005 at 10:41am

If these old images are typically schematic in form then some details are standardized to some extent. After viewing many images on the above links I am not so sure slings are shown in the Norway image.  The enlarged ends look much like paddles shown else ware in the down position.

Tom   

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2005 at 11:33am

They're not "Vikings" per se, since it dates to before the Viking Age. The pics are Scandinavian, but I think Bronze Age...

I don't think they are necessarily slingers, though... those could be clubs.

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - May 4th, 2005 at 10:16am

I'm going to put my vote down for greek ships, but it could really be either.  looking at the bit that's sticking out at the prow of the ship makes me think greek, and those oars are pretty suspicious.  But, really, that's a completely uneducated guess.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2005 at 2:06pm

It certainly looks scandinavian, and those look like slings.  I think the square sail will reveal who made it or when it came from.  The rudder at the back may be important, and the lines drawn on the boats could also be significant.  I know nothing about ship design through the ages, but this makes me want to find out a little.  (I can't do it right now - my German oral exam is tomorrow.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)