Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Post Your Ranges (Read 22059 times)
longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Re: Post Your Ranges
Reply #45 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 3:46pm

This may be off topic Smiley but I threw some more golf balls today, I used a 48" sling, release to center of pouch, the pocket is made from 200 lb test braided dacron, ladder fashion as pictured on the gallery. I threw eight balls, using the rolotape I found the first one at 487' and the longest at 562', a signifigant increase over the last group.
Oscar

IP Logged

Nonkin_Monk
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!     Literaly

Lyman, UT
Reply #46 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 11:18pm

Over the weekend i went to throw for a bit.  Using rocks off of the ground i could get ranges around 600 ft.  But still pretty far form that new world record.  Grin

Nonkin_Monk - Tis' a silly name.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #47 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 4:59pm

well we where off topic you are on topic Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #48 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 6:48am

Over the weekend i went to throw for a bit.  Using rocks off of the ground i could get ranges around 600 ft.  But still pretty far form that new world record. 

That sounds like a good range, can you approximate the rock weight, sling length, etc?
Oscar

IP Logged

Nonkin_Monk
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!     Literaly

Lyman, UT
Reply #49 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 9:26pm

I was using a 36" inch sling with rocks anywhere from 2-3 ounces. Quite a few buzzed out of the puch and would not go very far. Other than that I had pretty good throws. I've been going to baseball workouts all winter long so my arm is in pretty good condition. However I have not been practicing with the sling so I am sure I could improve on my technique.

Nonkin_Monk - Tis' a silly name.

IP Logged

sammy atif

Reply #50 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 2:19pm

I got about 300' with an ice-egg. It hit a tree and shattered. I filled a plastic easter egg up with water and froze it. Very cheap! The bad thing was that the egg broke getting the ice out.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #51 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 3:01pm

Yeah, ice-ammo is a good winter ammo. I used to make ice-balls in the very simple and productive way. Simply, very shortly dip snow-balls in water taken from streamlet and let them to get frozen up outdoor. If snow isn't sticky, it is the only way to form balls. Next day I have a nice stock of the 80 - 100 % ice balls. Not perfectly shaped however. I can get about 120 m with them. They also can be re retrieved.

When snow is sticky, I'm too lazy to make the ice-balls and I'm contented with snow-balls. They can't fly as far as the ice-balls, only 60 - 90 m. It depens mainly on the kind of snow. Anyway they are nice, secure short range ammo.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #52 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 1:20am

I went out to a closed golf course to test my range yesturday. 

With a 19 inch sling I could throw a golf ball size rock 190 yards max.  Most of my shots landed around 150 yards.  I use the tennis-serve-overhead style with this sling length.  The sling is made of braided nylon.

Then I tried using my 5 1/2 foot kevlar sling.  I could only use the helicopter style with this length and I threw way past the green (which is 190 yards) of the course and the golf ball size rocks went into the ocean behind it.  My best guess is 215 yards.  I'll have to find another site know my best range for sure. Tongue

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 4:56am

Because of the novelty of snow, I had many snowball fights in Germany, and I often used my scarf like a sling.  Worked very well, actually.  I wasn't expecting anything good, and I expecting the snowballs to disintegrate in the improvised sling.  But it worked well enough to enable me to hit people at longer range than with hands.  I'd say about a thirty yard range, no sweat.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #54 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 9:14am

yes if your throwing snowballs you want a big wide sling. THe smaller ones when you swing them the snow ball just falls apart. the scarf on the other hand keeps it all together.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #55 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 11:29am

Pics forthcoming of me slinging while:

Roller blading

Sunbathing in a hammock (In full swing mind you)

'Hiking'...football center style

Free falling from a plane at 40,000 feet.....ultimately timing the release at the moment I pull the chute for an added 'snap' to eke out more distance

Flipping both forward and backward on a trampoline to augment the overhand AND underhand release methods

From the sunroof of a Porsche 911 at 75mph....I plan to have the driver slam on the brakes at release for an added boost!

And last but not least,  I am currently doing a feasibility study on the dynamics of slinging at the moment of take off from a ski jump.....I believe there just may be something positive to take from the famous, 'Eddie the eagle' jumping style, which should improve my distance shots.  I will probably use snowballs and the helicopter sling style to start with......and move on from there.

Oh, and lest I forget....

I might sneak a few shots off a 'tilt-a-whirl' at the carnival this year,  I can only hope I don't get caught before I get the timing down..... Undecided

I really wanted to get a 'gland' off while being ejected from KITT, the Knight Rider car.....but that arrogant Bat Rastard Hasselhoff won't return my calls....

Buddum Bum.

Thanks Folks.....I'll be here all week!

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #56 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 2:20pm

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #57 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 4:07pm

LOL

TechStuf, the RANGE of your oratory is the biggest on the slinging.org, no doubts  Roll Eyes

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #58 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 6:14pm

hahaha!  Cheesy

go for it man!

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #59 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 9:47pm

Thanks.....but apples to apples....Yurek, I would say you have me beat in consideration that English is not your native tongue.

If this site were Polish.....I, yes....ME, TechStuf......would actually be at a loss for words.  (insert Rod Serling theme here.)

Smiley

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)