Post Your Ranges (Read 22058 times)
WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Re: Post Your Ranges
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 10:11am

Sorry, I did mean 150yds   Grin

but honestly, my average range is just a little over 100yds, though it is a hilly place and hard to measure.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 5:13pm

that was always my big problem. the hills. thats why i was traveling to a different place.

I use a ling that is from my fingertip to my heart

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Yes! I'm glad it was 150 YARDS

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 7:24am

Thanks a lot for the data collection (Lobohunter) that sure was a lot of work, and the calculation (Matthias). It's very interesting.
I have never measured my sling range cause like Gun, i also use to sling in the mountains over a dam,( flat places are full of people , houses and cars around here, and i'm afraid i can hit someone or cause any damage) hence it's hard to tell distances downhill  and into the water, Anyway this thread has encouraged me to do some measurement  in a piece of land next to my workplace. I hope i can find my projectiles, cause it's a bit uphill and with a lot of gravel and rocks.. I'll use painted rocks like Lobohunter sugested. Also i'll use different slings , my short one balearic style, and my longer last one i've made with the sticking plaster, i'll post the data asap.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 1:42pm

This thread just comes right because I have a question concerning range.

I started with slinging nearly one year ago. It was only possible to sling for range for some weeks because afterwards there was too much grass everywhere. My range in m corresponded more or less to my sling length in cm: 60m with a sling of about 60cm, 100m with a sling of 100cm and about 120m with a sling of 120cm. But I reached this distances only with lighter bullets (perhaps 80-100g). I measured by counting the big steps I made when going to the impact point.

As you see, my range is rather poor compared to the ones of most of you guys. So the question is: Was it a lot of work to pass from distances which just show that you are able to sling - as in my case - to more „professional" distances or were you able to reach them soon after you were able to sling ?

(By the way: Lobohunter, what is a „foos ball" and an „egg sinker" ? I looked in different dictionaries but didn’t find.)

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 1:52pm

Alsatian a lead sinker is a weight that you use for fishing in a ocean (i think thats what hes talking about)

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 7:19pm

A foo's ball is a ball from the game foos ball or table soccer. A egg sinker is a lead sinker in the shape of a egg used in ocean fishing and cat fishing

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:29pm

This morning i  threw a few stones in the piece of land  close to my work place,  i only did about 10 launchings with my 33" sling, and i reached the road at the end of the  piece of land (direct impact, not rolling after landing) Still have to measure it with a measuring tape, but i think it's in the range of 100 metres, anyway  i have to get a variety of good rocks and try again with different projectile weights, when less people is around, (too many eyes watching Shocked )I was afraid to hit the factory at the  left side of the lane, so i did'nt was confident to use full power, though i used close to full power.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 5:59pm

I find that if I use a heavy stone (around 1 pound=0.5 kg) I can only get about 100 yards, but a 3-ounce lead glande will fly out to 250-300 yards.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:37pm

I measured distances this morning with measuring tape, i did 105 meters average, anyway at 150 meters i only have about 40 meters of clearance, (concrete brick factory and houses at the left side and my workplace at the right side along the firing lane) and thus i'm not confident to use full power., but i gues i would only gain a few meters more (may be 20 or 30 more)

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 12:09pm

111 yards measured with a witness, my friend Justin. Using my 37-inch "DEXA" sling and a fired clay biconical glande weighing about 1.2 ounces. This is not to say that I used my friend Justin to measure the distance like a yardstick or anything just that he was there and witnessed the throw...oh never mind. I think you all know what I mean.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 5:52pm

236 feet with an odd shaped stone. ill get the weight asap. the sling lenght ill also get.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:07pm

Today was great by northern Ohio standards partly sunny and 61F. Gathered up my slinging gear along with boots and headed to my nearest field.

There was a mild breeze from right to left, maybe 5-10k/h. After I did a few warm-ups with softballs (312g) and they died at about 95m I almost went home.

Four hard baseballs and one cement casting from a tennis ball later I felt more encouraged.    
Only one throw was slightly over 35 deg elevation, in fact 3 or four were around 5- 15 degrees!

Sixteen hardball (148g) throws from a 129cm sling fell between 114 and 132 meters and left good impact marks.

Thomas

IP Logged

lepidina
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:09am

Hello,
I am new to the list and in urgent need of some experimental data. I have found last summer during an archaeological dig on a Roman site two baked clay sling shot.

Size:
a)max length: 30 mm max. width: 27 mm weight: 15-20g
b) Dims: 33 mm max. Width: 31 mm weight: < 15 g (my scales aren't that brill Smiley.

They look like sling shot, but are VERY light. Any idea if they would fly at all? How far?
And can you aim with them?
More importantly:  Are they actually any use whatsoever, if you want to fire them in anger, or would they be more of a beginnner's version?

I have had some fun with a catapult (I am useless with a proper sling), and all I proved is that my replicas I break up on impact on a wall or barn door from 20 paces.  Smiley

Best wishes
lepidina

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 1:58pm

Hallo lepidina and welcome,

If I remeber corectly, the ancient Romans used missiles of weight about 20 g. I'm also wondering, if they would be effective enough during battles. Most probably lead missiles would be, but clay ones? One of the forum members, Hondero from Spain, collects oryginal sling projectiles. For sure, he could say much more about them.

Anyway, from my limited experience with very light (20-30g) stones, and light sling, I know, they can fly very quick and far. When they are good shaped, for sure, an experienced in range shoting slinger can send them relatively easily at ranges above 250 m, saying very carefully. Clay missiles, for sure, can fly a bit worse. At my guess, they are able to surpass ranges above 200 m, assmuming, that a light and a rather thin (more aerodynamical) sling is used. Anyway, tests are necessary, for more accurate numbers. Hope, it helps a bit Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar)