Send Topic Print
Siege engines (Read 11753 times)
kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Siege engines
Jul 26th, 2006 at 7:46pm

I recently built a small trebuchet with 1x2 lumber and 50 lbs of lead shot for counter weight, do you guys have any siege engines?

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Re: Siege engines
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:40pm

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 12:20pm

I have a small model perrier that works great

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 10:19am

I've built several small seige engines out of things like pencils and spoons, and I have some plans drawn up for a large, full size battle arbalest (think of a crossbow not just on steroids, but also addicted to weightlifting as well and that's an arbalest) I've never done anything full size, so maybe one day, I can finally try it out.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 2:30pm

I have made a small ballista that shoots penciles.

talk to castle7 he built a pretty big treb.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

msv
Tiro

whooosch...thud !

Jönköping, Sweden
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:22am

The journey draws near it´s end&&because the heroes have already died&&from envy, betrayal and grief&&&&Tomas diLeva

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:11am

Well, me and guys started to build a trebuchet two weeks ago. There are eight of us building it, including me. It's going to be over 4 metres high and the counterweight is probaply going to be 50-150 kilos. We have just started it and are going to finish it in christmas holiday. I will post some pics when it's ready.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

slinger
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 12:33am

i have 2 baliistas one little and one big, one 4 foot trebuchet, a 6 inch trebuchet, and a knex trebuchet

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 2:55pm

nope :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 12:16pm

Sorry that I haven't been here for a while.

About the trebuchet, most of us got bored in the project because we had some hard time findig enough materials and time too. Always someone was somewhere else than he should supposed to be and we didn't have enough workers building the trebuchet. One of the problems was that we couldn't find a good axle. It's quite hard to find a iron pole that is 5 cm (2 inches) thick and 1m (3 feet) long, and no one wanted to put money on the project more than 10€. Lack of interest and materials made the project fail (rainy weather and snow didn't help at all). Maybe we try again in summer when it's drier.  Grin

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 4:55pm

Out of curiosity I just tried building a torsion catapult out of a spoon and a clothes airer. I used only a single loop of packet cord. That was a mistake: as soon as I got it under tension it ripped apart at the knot. I will try it again later, now it is not the time of day to make a lot of noise in my flat (23:00).

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:54am

A few years ago for the Scout klondike, I helped my troop lash togeter the dorkiest looking perrier you ever saw. It was about 8 feet tall with a 12 foot arm.  They thought it would never work. Well, we came in second. We would have come in first, but we were firing up a steep hill, something they didn't tell us.
   There were quite a few troops that made nice lookin torsion catapults, but didn't know you cant leave them outside to get wet, or the rope will stretch .
Of course, I could have told them that, but....

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

arizonafusilier
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 3:21pm

My SCA household made a hand-powered trebuchet several years ago. Was quite the rage for awhile. We tried to convert it to a genuine counterweighted version and never seemed to get the range we wanted. Very heavy to manuever (it was on wheels), so not as practical for a fluid battlefield situation. It was made from 4X4s and stoof about three meters high.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 10:57am

cool, another Scadian enters the fray. I'm from the Rhydderich Hael in AEthelmearc.

IP Logged

arizonafusilier
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 11:07pm

I'm from the Barony (and Kingdom) of Atenveldt.

"Warpup" hasn't made it to Estrella in a few; I'm going to bug our Head of Household on where we stand with it. Funny thing, he got cited from his HOA for having a "basketball hoop" in his backyard, since "it" stuck up over the fenceline.

He politely informed them that the CC&Rs had absolutely no prohibitions on siege engines. Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)