Send Topic Print
Siege engines (Read 11812 times)
Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Re: Siege engines
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:39pm

I have a small ballista and a ruber-band powered catapult, I'm planning on making a treb

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 3:15pm

one of these days im just gonna sit in my driveway and whip snowballs at people. it would be fun until the cops came. Sad those cops always get in the way of fun. (sorry if anybody here is a cop)

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 4:35pm

For snowballs?! Or are you meaning ice balls? Ok, it might also depend on how many snowballs you launch at each person...

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 4:22pm

yeah, maybe if i lobbed at a guy for a half an hour while he tried to get close enough to kick my butt they would probably come. maybe not for snowball though. i agree. i always thought that in a snowball fight if they saw me miss even, theyd wet themselves and head for the hills. if i nailed some kid with a clump of slush at 50 yards theyd run faster.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Kanec
Tiro

Glass rings where the
sling flings

Slovakia
Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:59am

With my friends, we built a small trebuchet this summer. The counterweight is cca. 60kg and the arm length  about 2.5m. It worked with stones a bit bigger than a human's fist, casting them to 40-60m, however, I am planning to make it more effective by shortening the release finger which slowed down the sling.

The basis of justice is to hate everyone equally;)

IP Logged

neogeo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Washington State, USA
Reply #20 - May 4th, 2007 at 5:38pm

I got interested in trebuchets not long after I got interested in slings. Combination of cool machine and slings!! I have built a trebuchet out of PVC pipe and fittings. Planning on building a large scale one that I and a friend at work can mount on our flatbed truck. Get a couple spud cannons strapped to the sides and a trebuchet mounted on the bed and roll into battle.  Let me know if you’re interested. I have quite a bit of info I’ve gathered over the years.

With a bacon and egg breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed.

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #21 - May 6th, 2007 at 10:11pm

Well, this thread is still going, I see. Good!

I've been working on a Whipper type trebuchet for a couple of years.
I'm taking my time 'cause I'm working alone and have to make it to be a completely one man show. I should be done in time to enter the Raleigh NC contest at Halloween, 2008.

The Whipper is 9 feet high at the axle and will have a 440 lb counterweight.
I'll be flinging 8 to 10 lb pumpkins at a car about 300 feet down range.
There's a $1,000.00 prize.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - May 14th, 2007 at 12:49pm

A mate of mine is working on building a trebuchet for throwing teddy bears at a local fete - I'll try and post pics or links when it happens.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

woulf
Novicius

Mistress of the Forge

Reply #23 - May 26th, 2007 at 2:43am

http://www.eccentricgenius.ca/frameset.htm ;

thought you guys might like to take a look at these, they're cute. Apparently he doesn't make them anymore, though. 

My fiance and I are considering building a ballista the next time we have garage space. Any tips on balancing/design of projectiles?

emeraldlonewoulf emeraldwoulf  
IP Logged

Sora

I'm slinging in the rain...

Hellgium
Reply #24 - May 28th, 2007 at 1:06pm

i made a treb a few weeks ago (well i actually finished it after working on it for three years Smiley)
It's 3 meters high and has a counterweight of 60-140kg (depends on size of stones i'm about to launch).
and it can shoot with fairly decent accuracy at a range of 150m but full powered it can sling to 300m.
In winter i am goin to sling huge snowballs at the christmas parade Cool
mhuhaaahaaaahaaa!
lol

Hey dude, check out my new underhand style...&&BANG!!!...err...sorry...

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:51am

My dad and me built a trebuchet a few years back, after experimenting we eventually got it working:-)

Here´s a tip though,DO NOT WALK IN FRONT WHEN FIRING!I don´t remember exactly what happend,but cracked my skull Undecided

But good ehrm..safe fun Grin

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 6:59am

Sora wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 1:06pm:
i made a treb a few weeks ago (well i actually finished it after working on it for three years Smiley)
It's 3 meters high and has a counterweight of 60-140kg (depends on size of stones i'm about to launch).
and it can shoot with fairly decent accuracy at a range of 150m but full powered it can sling to 300m.
In winter i am goin to sling huge snowballs at the christmas parade Cool
mhuhaaahaaaahaaa!
lol

Posting info like this with no pictures is just mental cruelty.

PICTURES PLEASE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you consider as "decent accuracy"?
What size stones do you shoot?
How do you vary the counterweight?
Where do you shoot such a machine?
How much does it weigh and how do you transport it?
Any other "interesting" details.

Is it legal for you to use it?
(In Australia shooting such a device would probably get me a six months government sponsored holiday.)

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Sora

Hellgium
Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:56am

Okay here's a pic (sorry for low quality, camera's still doing weird Embarrassed)
with decent i mean it can hit  a 3 by 4 m blanket or something from about 120-150 m 6 out of 10 times  Smiley
size of stones is about tennis ball (smallest) to basketbal (biggest) sized stones
i vary the counterweigt by just putting some extra heavy stuff inthe crate and then lock that crate
my grandpa has got a reeaally big backyard where the treb stands and shoots (his backyard is about 400*500 m or something)
dunno how much it weighs and i never transported it (not even the wood, my grandpa had that lying around Smiley)
well maybe not that interesting but i hurled a little tv away a couple of weeks ago...hehe Grin
and yes it's legal (i think...) because it's on a private terrain (grandpa's garden)
one note: the red lined one is mine and the blue lined one is my grandpa's one, again sorry for the quality...

trebuchet2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:11am

Thanks for the photo and the quick response. Looks like great fun!

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Sora

Hellgium
Reply #29 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:18am

no problem aussieslinger Smiley
i'm also planning to make an onager and a lifesized ballista (without sharpened arrows ... well okay maybe with iron tips... okay okay they're gonna be sharpened so what  Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)