Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Casting Styles and ammunition rotation (Read 4936 times)
nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Casting Styles and ammunition rotation
Jul 20th, 2006 at 6:26am

Hello All,

After Tint's spin topic and my casting style discussion on the General form I have been thinking about two things but would like some input.

Currently the area of casting styles covers basic casting I have added some extra pages that cover cord grip and wide and narrow grip but the deeper I go the more detail comes up.

So I think it's time to revamp this area. What I would like to do is do casting styles basics and then advanced.

What this means for the wiki is that I'll be experimenting with the logic of were and what is, and an introduction to sling casts and what is considered advanced slinging.

My current considerations are:

1. Casting styles
* Introduction to holding a sling.
* Safe slinging
* Basic Casts
** Overarm
** Underarm
** Helicopter
2.  Advanced Casts
*Overarm
** Overarm Greek
** Apache
** etc
*Side sling
* Figure eight
* Rapid Fire techniques
3. Accuracy and Distance
* The effect of Grips
* The effect of wrist movement

Any added suggestions welcome.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: Casting Styles and ammunition rotation
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 8:09am

I am not an expert of styles, but if 2. is Advanced Casting Styles, then 1. should be Basic Casting Styles. Or if 1. is Casting Styles, then the Advanced Casting Styles should be included there. And Safe Slinging should be IMO its own chapter somewhere early as this is an important topic. Inside a style description can be individual information about safety, e.g. that underarm styles are good to hit oneself on the head.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 10:32pm

Ok I have actually made a Microsoft word document up with how I would like to change the casting style page.

Might even make a great flyer anyway if I don't get any feed back in about two weeks I'll just go ahead and change it.

IM me if you want a copy.

nightweave.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 11:51pm

Seeing as I have had no feed back, I have changed the casting styles page anyway.

Any complaints, questions, changes, etc

Let me know.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 2:19am

Looks great nightweave. I don't think many of us are in the habit of paying attention to the wiki yet. With your hard work it is certainly taking shape though!

Re: grips - I know I was supposed to send you some pics but an alternate narrow grip to the one shown (nwmanitou) is to pass the retention thong between pointy and the bird. This keeps the two cords seperate, and cleans up the release. I can't get comfortable with grips that require the release end and retention cord to be held together, or side by side.

Matthias

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 7:21am

Matthias,

Change is a slow process I don't expect everyone to change over night. (Though as you will have noticed I am not the most patient person on the planet.) Being a slinging.org junkie like the rest of you guys I do visit the boards every day but just to show how bad I am, my homepage is the slinging.org/wiki. Everytime I open my web browser the wiki comes up and I check it.

On a side note: (Hint) Would be nice to see a picture so I could up load it to the wiki. If you have time it would also be nice to see someone who has more experiance in the area of grips do some updating. I have trolled the message boards for what I have; This has given me two things:

1. Something to change with my own slinging.
2. Something to up date on the wiki.

But it will take me time to have the experiance to be an authority on the subject.

The project I have started on projectiles has objectives:

1. Make me a better slinger
2. Put paid to those on slinging.org message board who have thought long and hard about slinging physics and theory.  I believe they deserve to know if they are right.
3. Make the wiki authoritive on the subject.

I can not do this without your (Everyone's) help. I know this and will keep asking for help as I go, but I won't wait too long. (That patients thing get's me every time.) 

Opps better stay on subject, I am trying not to bug people but that also means, in the end if I have no input I'll just do it. (Lead by example and all that jaz.)

So you'll notice patchy work sofar, that's because other people have been kind enough to take on these projects.

Anyway I have rambled enough and I think you understand.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:30pm

Nightweave

I would like to move my wiki entry for casting style to a new as yet undefined spot from it’s present location under Pirouette/Full Spin, as it is actually a Pirouette with overhand cast. The  Pirouette with full spin was used by Knollslinger. The basis of my casting style is the no wind-up overhand in a near vertical plain. Since all of my current slings are rather long, I use a straight arm cast that includes the ¾ Pirouette motion. Some slingers use a more complete body turn labeled as a discus style. 
Just plain “Pirouette” is a more appropriate heading, possibly at casting styles spot 4.4.

Tom      

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 7:00pm

Tom,

The advanced area is welcome to chance. If you have a over arm cast then it should be in the area of over arm cast. The aim of the classification is to class the cast in it's end resulting movement. If it turns into an over arm cast that's where it should be.

As you have been looking after you own work I have tried not to do anything with it until you are finished, (That and to be honest I didn't under stand your orignal version, I have been waiting for you to finish to re-read) so If you wish it I can put it under advanced over arm.

This means that you may want to put an explanation that this style is good for long slings at the start.

Putting the casting style under its own heading only works if it can not be classified as something else. Or you can point out where I have done it on another cast on the casting styles page so I can either concede or fix it.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 9:45pm

Nightweave

I don’t want to edit the index myself, but you can insert a new index item; “Overhand With Pirouette” at spot 4.1.4  and I will move text body.

At one point the heading “TWO HANDS?” appeared after my text, so I thought (daaw) that someone wanted me to add a lefty description. My lefty items looked messy and confusing, so I removed them.

My first statement includes the long sling reference.

Please knock if there is confusion left to be cleared up!

Tom

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 9:54pm

Thomas,

Done and Done,

I think the only way we are going to clear up the lefty, righty think is drawings. For each of the casting styles. I have asked Siguy to do the film work so someone can do the technical drawings, but still looking for someone to help out in this area.

Speaking as a lefty myself it is always going to be easier if you have drawing or film to ref off.

nightweave.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 10:24pm

Nightweave

Thanks for cleaning up note at bottom of my text.

The only problem is you got a little ahead of me. Knollslinger’s “Pirouette/full spin” heading should remain under “Helicopter”, while the new heading “Overhand With Pirouette” should be at spot 4.1.4.

Thanks again
Tom   

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 10:46pm

Opps that's my enthusiam for you fixing now.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)