Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My Puruvian sling (Read 16656 times)
Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: My Puruvian sling
Reply #30 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:42pm

It is finished. If there is any thing wrong tell me and I will try to fix it.
Or ask if you have questions on it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #31 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 3:41pm

it looks great amras

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Hey Amras,

Going into editor mode now so please be aware these are constructive and editor type things.

Suggestions:

Don't need first picture of sling if you have last picture of finished product.

Had to look up what a Maru Dai is. An explanation would be nice for those not experienced in these things, like me.

Would like to see links to either external pages, or if the lady Willeke is happy help out, internal links to basic braiding. (Or links to her site) Specifically where you mention the three strand flat braid, also the star, crown and diamond knots would benefit from links.

Any time you use a technical term like weft you should either explain that term or link it. I know this may seem like a pain in the butt, but (ah funny butt but...sorry) those not in the know will put down your writing based on this kind of thing. A simple way to fix this would be a glossary of terms. I currently haven't gotten one as... well to be honest I hadn't thought of it and really the more I think about it we are really going to need one for the reconstructed slings.

Staying in the constrains of the world of science and nerdy books, the standard measure is Metric. Thus if you are going to use inches you need to have the Metric measurement fist with the Imperial in brackets. I know it's a small thing but overall standardisation of the wiki is my aim at this point.

The detail on half hitches is very interesting and would benefit from pictures of what a spiral pouch would look like. Unless this is a don't do it type of thing then it needs to be made more clear.

With your bit about securing the strands are the tied of our just pulled through the braid?

Coming out of editor mode:

Ok, so now if you want I am happy to hunt around for the links for the knots or anything else you want me to link. Also will clean up your writing a little if you don't mind.

On reflection links to Willeke's site and a Knot tying site will probably be more efficient than creating a page noone will look at.

Willeke,

Do I have your permission for this?

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 12:09am

You can make links to the said knots and braids to my website, but can also include a page with reminder pictures, (just the finished knots before tightening,) with links to my site. But with the way internet works (or fails) it might be best to include strategic information on the same server as the wiki is.

I will do a hunt for the right links within my site later, have to go to work pretty soon.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 12:46am

Thanks Willeke

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #35 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:44am

Hey Amras,

I made a Puruvian sling with your instructions, and I can tell you for a beginner I am pretty pleased with myself. (I did a completely crap job but hey you get that.)

I think with a bit of practice I could actually get good at making those. (Read it took me 5 days to make it.)

I haven't tested it out but don't worry I get to this weekend.

No photo's sorry it is not worthy turst me on this.

Again thankyou for do the work on the wiki. I really enjoyed having ago at making the sling.

Things I learnt making it:

1. Never use crappy old wool.
2. Always keep the brading tight. (I know but who listens the first time?)
3. I don't know how to do Half Hitches right.
4. Star Knots are tough to make. (Either that or I am  terrible at knots.)
5. RTFM
6. RTFM!!

That's it.

Again thanks Amras, that was seriously cool.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)