Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Slings in the Olympics (Read 22828 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Slings in the Olympics
Aug 14th, 2004 at 10:43pm

Interestingly enough, the Olympics are back in Greece, but the slinging component has never been re-included.  Slinging was an event in the early days of the Olympics, and was considered a notable event.  The Greeks produced many different coins to celebrate the sport.

I don't see why all the other projectile sports (hammer, shot-put, archery, javelin, archery, discus, and even rifle and air gun shooting) are included, but the oldest and uniquely Olympic sport of slinging is left out.  Something to change after we're done with Project Goliath aye. 

Chris

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Slings in the Olympics
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 12:03am

I could not agree with you more, Chris!   However,  they probably feel as though the interest in, and depth to the sport is no longer sufficient to warrant it's inclusion.  I am sure they would feel otherwise upon proper review of the contingent of athletes we have here!   Of course,  I for one would feel a bit self conscious unless I ever get around to losing my beer gut!  Seriously though,  I perceive for a certainty that should the sport be allowed back into the Olympics,  it would garner much interest!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:23am

Nice slinger coin Chris, from Aspendos, city of Panfilia (South of Asia Minor). They were very frequent in that area but have been found similar ones in others places. Have you more information about this coin? Can someone translate the inscription and what does it means de legs-star on the right?

Another curiosity is the position of the sling to the left of the head. Corresponds this to a pictorical convention to not hide the head of the slinger on the coin or they really used that position (and not to the right like in my icon) to have not to raise the sling over the head when initiating the spinning? What do you guys think about?

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:43am

These coins are really great, Chris... nice primary sources. Really, really cool.
I think that slinging is no more included in the Olympic Games for many reasons: it is no more practised by a lot of people; our sport sounds a bit "rustic" for those who don't practise it; and we can't forget that it needs  big places to be practised... I would feel mcu happy if we could help to increase this sport among poor people, who don't have money to buy expensive equipments to play some other sports...  I have been researching traditional sports and games for almost 10 years, and one thing that I can't understand is why so many nice games,from around the world, which required a few and inexpensive equipment, were substituted by other ones which need so much money to be practised... ??? ??? ???
I have nothing against these more expensive sports, but it sound sme a great mistery why some traditional ones- many of them are virtually extinct - have been replaced by them...

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 5:45am

The olympic games have become a television business. 

The shot with sling is not business for the television chains, and therefore I see very difficult that some day the shot with sling can participate in some olympic games. 

You don't crucify me for this expression, it is only my opinion.

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
I don't see why all the other projectile sports (hammer, shot-put, archery, javelin, archery, discus, and even rifle and air gun shooting) are included, but the oldest and uniquely Olympic sport of slinging is left out.  Something to change after we're done with Project Goliath aye.  

Chris

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 5:51pm

Get a rope......lol.   Sad to say, but you are quite right.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 8:45pm

The inscription on the coin is a weird spelling of the town's name (Aspendios)---on the coin the town's name is spelt 'Estf(?)endpus'.  It is thought that the coins depict a slinger because 'Aspendios' sounds similar to the Greek word for slinger (sphendonetes).

I have a less cynical view of the reason why there isn't a sling competition in the Olympics: there isn't an international governing body regulating slinging competitions.  If there were such a body, it could petition the IOC to introduce slinging as a demonstration sport, and, eventually, as a regular part of the games.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 10:14pm

The three legs was the national symbols of Sicily, and more recently, the isle of man.  It's an ancient symbol, but I don't know much about it. 

http://www.fabrisia.com/triskele.htm

Some additional description about the coin with the black backdrop:

"this highly sought after Greek silver Stater of Aspendos with two wrestlers. This classic coin is especially noteworthy since it commemorates the ancient athletic heritage which forms the foundation of the upcoming 2004 Olympic Games. This gorgeous coin was minted between  370 - 333 BC and is well centered and struck on both sides.

Pamphylia, Aspendos, silver stater; w: 10.3 gr. 23 x 24 mm. Obv: two wrestlers, between  them, monogram; Rv: Man r. brandishing his sling; triskeles and club near him. "

Additional information on the coin with the white backdrop:

"Pamphylia. ASPENDOS.

3rd century B.C. AR stater.

Obverse: Two naked athletes wrestling.
Reverse: Slinger discharging sling; triskeles in right field.

24 mm. 10.76 grams. Obverse die blockage on one of the figures as shown. perfect metal and virtually as struck."

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 4:11am

Thanks for the good information, Chris and Shale. I´ts surprising the celtic origin of the triskele and how the simbols are wide spreaded. I agree with you, Shale, that the reasons of not being the sling an olimpic sport is other than economic. There are olimpics sports much less spectacular than slinging. I think the reason maybe that the last use of sling has been as a shepherd tool, wich is nothing epic and so it has not arrived to the sport at the time in which modern Olimpics games emerged. So we are delayed in the way followed by others sports. But now that the sling is almost only and ethnological objet, we are in the right way to incorporate it to the sport, spreading not its last use but the ancient epic and historic heritage it has. I trust in the future of the sling!!

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 11:12pm

I agree with Hondero! Grin I think that people would be fascinated by the sling. Maybe some creative ideas for competion would help.

How about having each slinger walk through an obsticle coarse with different types of targets to hit along the way. Some stationary ones of different sizes, some moving ones, some quick pop up tatgets, some requiring manuvering around branches or other obsticles that could tangle up your sling.

At the concrete place I sling at, I have several different targets that I try to hit. I shot at each one until I hit it and than move to the next. You could have different points for the targets based on the difficulty factor of each.

What other ideas do you guys have??

Hondero,

Yes, I also noticed the position of the sling behind the head. In fact, I tried slinging that way a few days ago. I simply dropped the pouch, letting it fall vertically, and then went into the overhand release. I could not get as much power with so little motion but it did help to make a more verticle motion release. I need to try it again.

IP Logged

LMarshall
Novicius

New Hampshire
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 6:49am

I just had another idea for a sling competition:

use a target with a number assigned to each ring, increasing towards the center of the target. use radar to measure the speed of the sling stone, and average the speed with the number that was hit, to calculate the final points for each shot. Then give each slinger 3 attempts or so, and add the points from each shot to calculate a final score. This would give the public watching on TV some idea of the both the incredible speed and accuracy a skilled slinger can attain.

I also had a question:

Does anyone know how the ancient greeks conducted slinging competitions?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 2:23pm

If ANYONE can get the sling back in the Olympics.....it's Chris.   Not puffin smoke up yer Kilt mate......but honestly, I can think of no one more devoted to furthering public awareness of the sling's history, advantages, and future.  

Sending the OC a finished copy of the growing compendium that is the 'Goliath Project' just may pry open a few eyes and doors......who knows?  Now that is what I call.....a GOLIATH PROJECT!

Considering that men are throwing a 16lb hammer over 250ft. and 2lb. Javelins similar distances,  any potential  organizing body for Olympic slingers may want to avoid any stifling rules, such as one which limits the slinger to releasing ammo only above the elbow.  As it is my opinion that reaching only double the distance that can be achieved with a 16POUND hammer may seem rather,  dare I say,  anemic.     Undecided

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 2:25pm

Hello LMarshall,

Something like that as what you comment is what we are making us in our competitions, I explain to it:

The slingers throw to a target formed by a board with an iron circle in the center, to do following picture of the scheme with measures. 

And here a view of the real one 

In the modality aim, each slinger throws 5 stones from the following distances: 
Children and women 15, 30 steps   
Men 30 and 45 steps 
(1 step = 65 cm)

The punctuations are the following ones: 
Children and women distance 15 steps, impact board = 1 point, impact iron = 2 points 
Children and women distance 30 steps, impact board = 2 points, impact iron = 4 points 
Men distance 30 steps, impact board 1 points, impact iron = 2 points 
Men distance 45 steps, impact board 2 points, impact iron = 4 points 

In total they throw 10 stones each slinger 

The sum of the points of all the launchings is the final punctuation, they have prize the three first of each category. 

This is to big features like each competition is developed, during the year it usually has between 12 and 15 competitions, at the end of the year it is proclaimed the champion of children, women and men .

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
I just had another idea for a sling competition:

use a target with a number assigned to each ring, increasing towards the center of the target. use radar to measure the speed of the sling stone, and average the speed with the number that was hit, to calculate the final points for each shot. Then give each slinger 3 attempts or so, and add the points from each shot to calculate a final score. This would give the public watching on TV some idea of the both the incredible speed and accuracy a skilled slinger can attain.

I also had a question:

Does anyone know how the ancient greeks conducted slinging competitions?

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 3:36pm

I would imagine that, if slinging is ever accepted into the olympics, the most effective throwing styles will quickly reveal themselves.  I would argue that the only regulations regarding throwing style, sling construction, etc. be regulations to keep any one group from having an advantage over another group -- although you may want a standard sling length.  Does anyone know what regulations there are for Olympic archery equipment?  How is archery scored?

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 3:48am

Nice info Vicente,  now i know what to do for aim training Smiley
last Monday i was training with a softdink can placed over an iron lumber at 1.50 m height  i tried from several distances and i was close to hit it lot of times so i think it would be nice to try  a 50 cms circle over a 1,2 m board at least i would get some points Grin
How many points get an average slinger (men category)?

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)