Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 137986 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #30 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 12:18pm

no no no, you got it all wrong - goliath had some brothers. five brothers = five stones :-)
P.O.P

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #31 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:54am

Huh

C_A, what does P.O.P stand for?

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:00am

lol euthenistically p.o.p - piece of p**s. - or qed or blindingly obvious :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #33 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 5:00pm

Com on aardvark,

give us a lesson but no p**s.  Many of us are no native speakers and greedy to enter the inner circles.  Wink

funda

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 11:11pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1152877286/30#31 date=1171473511]no no no, you got it all wrong - goliath had some brothers. five brothers = five stones :-)
P.O.P[/quote]
First off i never have seen this topic on the forums before so here is my input:
I am Christian and strongly believe everything that the Bible says (call me radical...whatever) therefore i truthfully believe the story of David and Goliath. Now with my understanding there is very little possibility that David could have faced the giant Goliath without the help of God. We as slingers of course know the ability of the sling to kill and we also know that it is realatively (greatly) hard to hit a target. And of course we know that David was a shepherd and most shepherds in that day were quite used to using a sling (and very good) It is also my understanding and belief that Goliath was covered from "head to toe" in very thick armor and also a shield. (See 1 Samuel 17 for details) and David had to hit the only flesh part that was showing (that being between his eyes around the forehead)
Now in reference to the 5 stones theorem quoted above. I doubt David was insecure about hitting Goliath, he knew that he had God on his side and he couldnt miss with His help. (maybe he was just comfortable with carrying 5 stones) So...I have heard the idea of Goliath having some 4 brothers that David was afraid might come out and try to kill him if he prevailed over the Philistine (Goliath) (wouldnt you feel better about taking 5 stones into battle rather than just 1 :D) so David had some backup stones in case of an attack. But in the aftermath of David killing Goliath the other Philistines realized that a little shepherd boy (with a BIG God) could defeat their champion warrior, they fled from the battle.

There is my 2 cents worth.
Think about it seriously.
8-)

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #35 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 12:19am

Even though I'm not christian, I believe the events in the bible too. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:05am

no offence loh-ka-hoe but in recent months you've shown a willingness to believe pretty much everything you read :-)
At some point in your life you are going to have to apply some sort of common sense judgement.

As for the david and goliath thing - I've said it before, shepherds and slings versus sheep stealing soldiers would have been a common occurence.

And if the sling was my principle weapon I'd have more than just 5 stones Hell I'd have all the stones I could carry. And I'd start firing when the big slow armoured bast*ard was barely in sight :-)

You would have had as many shots as you liked it's not like a big bloke in full armour could ever catch a fast fit unarmoured kid unless he stood still too long.

Nope folks, anyway you cut it, it was shooting fish in a barrel and one on one goliath was dead meat from the minute he stepped on the field of war :-)

and in the spirit of the famous lines from a movie thread: - the untouchables:- 'just like a philistine to bring a sword to a sling fight :-)'

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 2:12pm

i believe it was real and i remember a study that said it was a real event also  Grin

it said a normal person of the time would be roughly 5ft and goliath was around 7'9 so... also it said a person in goliath's tribe would normally be 6ft so it definitly sounds possible

also there is a tribe in  africa that is full of people who average 6'5 so it proves that height gene can be isolated in one group

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #38 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 4:26pm

You have got to consider the situation in which the old testament was written. Many people from Israel were took as slaves to Babylon and some where starting to convert their religion. As far as I heard that is when this books were written. They were supposed to preserve the culture and to remember the history of Isreal. So I guess the part about the history of Isreal is as accurate as the authors could remember.

To me that means that the story about the future King David might as well have happend like that. However I do not believe the stuff like "we are the people of God and God helped us to slaughter our foes" or "God was angry with us, that is why God let our foes hit us". I consider myself Christian and I believe in a God of love (hehe, I do not even believe that hell exists Smiley). But now I am probably going too deep into a theological discussion.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:10pm

Hell? I think it is mentioned in most religions....  Roll Eyes  Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #40 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 6:27am

thread lightly upon this topic. i sense much potential drama.  Wink

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #41 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:13am

yep what funslinger said :-)
lol
religion is one of those things that is truly individual. You get 100 priests and you have 100 different interpretations of their particular holy book.

If you bring the subject up then you must be prepared to enter into sensible debate on it, regardless of what you own beliefs might be - nobody elses are ever going to be exactly the same.
Just so long as nobody gets too worked up I believe (lol) religious discussion is good clean fun.
But once you start taking it seriously then you get the whole mess that exists with islam at the moment.

If someone's faith is strong - it would not matter one jot what anyone else said about that belief. I tend towards the theory that people who get angry at someone elses opinion of their beliefs, do not hold those beliefs very strongly. And are actually getting angry because they don't believe as strongly as they think they should.

As for the old testament - it's the only religious book I've read cover to cover, and most of it - in my opinion - are fables designed to instruct in how to live - what the authors believed - was a good and god fearing life.
All christians should remember that the god of the old testament is the jewish god jehovah (ducks rain of stones) and not the god of the new testament. Jehovah (any women in this crowd ?) was a very mercurial god who interfered frequently in the lives of men, the god of the new testament makes a virtue of never interfering at all - not the same god.
I am also eternally amused that a group of people who worship and believe in a fundamentalist Jewish rabbi - are actually generally inimical to jews. What's that all about ?
And it can't just be the aeon long debate over whether or not jews should be allowed to eat bacon sandwiches.

So, no I don't believe there was a specific david and goliath incident. I believe it's a parable based on common occurence that essentially teaches:- don't judge a book by it's cover :-)
And was intended to showcase david's ability to make the most of a bad situation.

And if that's not a deep enough theological discussion - then bring it on !
lol  

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #42 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 5:40pm

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 18th, 2007 at 12:22am:
I am confused on what basis you would consider yourself a Christian but not believe in hell.

The basis I consider myself a Christian on is that I am baptized and confirmed, go to church more often than most people in my age in Germany do (ok, that is not hard Wink) and think that there are a lot of good lessons to learn from Jesus and the bible. But I question (almost) everything.

Now about hell. I think that when you die you will see your deeds and their consequences through a "true conscience". I guess that can hurt a lot and you might call it "hell".

But I do not believe that this is permanent or a punishment. There is a nice allegory Jesus used: A son receives money and trust from his father and sets out into the world. However he wastes the money in unethical actions (gambling, whores,...). At the end he lost all the money and he has to return to his father. He feels very bad about it and expects to be punished (kept as a slave) by his father. When he arrived at home and told his story, his father does not punish him but makes a celebration that he has returned. That is what I believe and that is for me in a conflict with the idea of eternal punishment.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #43 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 8:29pm

Have to wait until my death to see for myself! Shocked Lips Sealed

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #44 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 4:24pm

I'm not sure whether someone has put the following question already (frankly speaking I'm too lazy to read the whole topic through):

Is there any reason why the story of David and Goliath shouldn't be real?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)