Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 138273 times)
Dr.Q
Tiro

sometimes, the sharpest
blade is not enough

Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #255 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:38pm

the biblical Gath and traditional home of Goliath, has been the subject of extensive excavatios. It was the largest city of philistea. Goliath and his other 4 giant brothers were given birth by Orpha. This is why David took 4 stones to the goliath battle; Goliath was a very preminent subject having won many battles like the one hi lost to David.
The Historiy of King David in history can not be hidden in no way shape or form.
After all the scavations and specially the goliath armor wich was greek style and not phlistine tells us about how known this goliath was.
The history defenitly has to be real.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #256 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:15am

nightweave wrote on Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:21am:
loh_kah_hoe,

Well now that depends on several things.
Are you christian?
Do you believe the bible is a factual account?
And your relgious out look.

Now being rasied a christian, but now not so much a believer any more. I can say honestly I don't know but it is a great story.

On that note, I find it funny when biblical stories become the focus of an "is it 'true' " discussion.  The fact is, neither side will be able to prove yes or no!  It's a book, but who can prove whether any of it is any more than a fictional account?  Like a novel. 

On the other hand, when someone reads a book about, say, the founding fathers of the United States of America, people can't really look around at each other and say, "So, did that really happen?"  Huh

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #257 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:20am

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua wrote on Jul 18th, 2006 at 2:41pm:
If you'll read the information at the link above, you'll find that mention of the "House of David" is a matter of archaeological record.  Such writing carries dynastic indices which, when coupled with other finds, shows conclusively that such an account as David & Goliath was well within the realm of possibility. 

One can look at the scenario and determine on its face that it is "within the realm of possibility.

The question, as I understood it, seemed to be asking, "DID it happen?"  Not "COULD it have happened?"

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #258 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:30am

wannabeslinger wrote on Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:40pm:
I I I will say this how can humans live by logic when humans are illogical. why are we directed by our emotions to do things that are not in what logic would say is our best interest

Lack of training and discipline.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #259 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:17am

Did the events related in the Christian Bible actually happen?  We simply do not know.  We have only that one source for the story (as far as I know).  There is no supporting evidence from other sources; no archeological evidence.  No parallel stories.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  Granted it's a great story.  But it is one, unsubstantiated story.  Show me any piece of contemporary evidence that corroborates the story.

Could it have happened?  Certainly.

We need to realize that Slinging.org has an international membership representing every major faith on the planet (and undoubtedly several minor faiths as well).  Trying to promote Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, Jewish or other beliefs over another is NOT what this forum is about.  Leave the religious dogmatism at home, please.

Added by Edit.  There is only one piece of recent (1993) archeological evidence which seems to indicate that "King David" existed in anything other than some stories.  A piece of a stele was discovered which 'appears' to contain the name David.  There is no proof that the inscription refers to the Biblical person.

"The Tel Dan Stele, found at Tel Dan in Israel in 1993/1994, is a fragment (in three sections) of an Aramaic inscription on basalt, which appears to be from a stele erected for Ben-Hadad of the Aramaean nation, an enemy of the kingdom of Israel. The inscription has been dated between the 7th and 9th centuries BCE.
Very little of the inscription remains, but the excitement it has generated by those interested in Biblical archaeology is concentrated on the letters 'ביתדוד' which is identical to the Hebrew for "House of David." If the reading is correct, it is the first time that the name "David" has been found in any archaeological site.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2008 at 2:54pm by StaffSlinger »  

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #260 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:19am

StaffSlinger wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:17am:
We need to realize that Slinging.org has an international membership representing every major faith on the planet (and undoubtedly several minor faiths as well).  Trying to promote Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, Jewish or other beliefs over another is NOT what this forum is about.  Leave the religious dogmatism at home, please.

That's a  very important point.

It's a difficult balance because there is also a history of considerable tolerance to people posting rather provocative stuff here, and the fact that some quite enlightening discussion has followed is a great plus.

I strongly agree that people should bear in mind the membership's diversity of beliefs (and nationalities) in their posts. This is simply a matter IMHO of respect for others. They might also consider the impression that their posts have on the casual browser, who may take the views as representative of their country of origin.

I can't say that it produces a welcoming atmosphere to read some of the extremely dogmatic pronouncements on religious, and some other, matters. Even those who adhere to these views should surely recognise that others are capable of holding different ones without being fools - or needing to be 'saved'? The trouble is, so many of these discussions become so heated that many of us stay out of the discussion rather than risking getting savaged for arguing against the storm.

It has to be said that in national terms, the only people who forget that this is an international forum are (some) of those in the United States. So, do you want this forum to be another confirmation of the view of substantial numbers of people elsewhere in the world that Americans act as if the rest of the world doesn't matter?

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #261 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:58pm

nightweave wrote on Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:21am:
loh_kah_hoe,

Well now that depends on several things.
Are you christian?
Do you believe the bible is a factual account?
And your relgious out look.

Now being rasied a christian, but now not so much a believer any more. I can say honestly I don't know but it is a great story.

Weather it is true or not, all I can say is all myths and ledgens haves some true too them.

Beyond that I don't have a time machine so I can not confirm.

nightweave

Well said.  (Well, except for the typos... Wink)

I started a thread about this last night not knowing that this one exists.  Now I have 18 pages of reading-up to do...

For the record, I am a non-believer (or you could say "a believer in other things, but not religion")--pretty much because I am a disliker of illogic.

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #262 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:24pm

I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't belive it then that's fine with me, I have no problem with it but for those of us who do believe it it's simply a point of FAITH for us and I don't see why you'd want to disprove it or prove it.  People have different faiths and it even takes faith to not believe in something. 
I believe the account of David and Goliath is a real, historical account, same as Alexander the Great or Julius Cesar were historical accounts.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #263 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:30pm

I see that C-A had the good sense to lock the other thread. Lets not go on for another 18 pages on this one and agree to disagree. Logic like beauty is very much in the eye or brain of the beholder.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Fëanor

Slinging rocks.

Stockholm, Sweden.
Reply #264 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:03am

Beauty is an opinion, logic is not.
But then no human can be logical since it requires one to be objective, which we all know no one is.

On the Swedish coast   With Russia in the distance Slinging at the bear. (4accord done it) "Mind must be firmer, heart the more fierce, courage the greater, as our strength diminishes."  The old warrior Byrhtwold during the battle of Maldon in 991 AD.

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #265 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:15am

Actually, an ET shot Goliath in the head with a space gun from the grassy nole just to the right of where David was standing. Grin

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #266 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:09pm

I do have a time portal.  The story is basically true, but Goliath was 6'5" and every one else was 4'6".

IP Logged

Hanbaal

Just another medieval
cyberpunk

Australia mate
Reply #267 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:01am

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or not within these 18 pages thar David did not kill goliath with a sling?
I think it was his (brothers?) sword.

The Sling Awareness Viking says: ... ...

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #268 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:29am

I seem to remember it has been mentioned before.  To me it seems a little unimportant,really.  I mean, appearently David uses his sling for what it is worth,  Goliath fall, David is obviously not interested in Goliaths pulse, heart rate, erratic eye movement, skull fracture or whatever.  He simply pulls out Goliaths sword and cut his head off.  Mission accompliched.
timann

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #269 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 11:18am

Hanbaal wrote on Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:01am:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned or not within these 18 pages thar David did not kill goliath with a sling?
I think it was his (brothers?) sword.

It has certainly come up either in this thread or one of the other related threads over the past few years.

Seems to depend on whether Goliath was killed by the stone or not, on which it appears the texts are unclear. I thought it was generally understood to be Goliath's sword that was used, but whether this was 'cause of death' is another matter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)