Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 138277 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #150 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:30pm

It's ok, we know how ya feel....but do take heart, if we become truly famished for 'intractable logistics' we know who not to ignore.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #151 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Quote:
is there ANY possibility that a creationist can debate a particular point without changing the subject?

it would appear not  Grin

SV

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #152 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 1:54am

Shocked

Play fair now SV. Some people do have jobs and other functions to perform. I would love to sit in front of the idiot box (PC) all day and chat away but anyway...

Quote:
he ignored the point about any genealogy conflicting with the trinity

Patience dear SV. Read better. Joseph was the legal father of Jesus by being wed to Mary. That is easy to understand. If somebody's mother got married again would that person have a new father by law. Surely you knew this? Read that passage in the bible (I know you have one) and do not take any verses out of context like what was done with Ecc 3:18-20. For right after the quoted passage it says

Ecc 3:21  Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Quote:
but raised an astronomical question instead

You are the only one able to raise questions? Your reply seems made up of words only. To me it feels like there is no answer there.

Moon Drift. The moon is drifting slowly away from the Earth. If it is getting further away, then at one time it was much closer. The Inverse Square Law in physics states that if the moon was half the distance away, its gravitational effect on our tides would be quadrupled. One third the distance and it would be 9 times stronger. We would all drown twice a day. 1.2 billion (1,200 million) years ago, the moon would have been touching the Earth. Do some math for youself.

Quote:
is there ANY possibility that a creationist can debate a particular point without changing the subject?

My general feeling is that the questions are forthcoming one way only. Like the old ways of war; Dear Sir please have the first volley, and then the opponent is not given a chance to a return volley.

Smiley

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #153 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 4:30am

hi A_S  at least you aren't making cheap comments and posting pictures of a potato; i wonder if  that's a kind of racism since i'm currently resident in Ireland - in which case TS is not only pathetic, he's wrong again - it should have been a lime.    Grin

Quote:
Ecc 3:21  Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

i'm glad you quoted that line from ecclesiastes, (my favorite book of the OT) but the quote is more accurately rendered thus -

Quote:
Who knows
whether
the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?

even Solomon doesn't know what happens after death to the "spirit"

Quote:
Your reply seems made up of words only.

all replies here are made up of words, there isn't much i can do about that. getting back to the moon question, which i wasn't dodging, your assessment certainly agrees with current theory, that at the formation of the earth at over 1 billion years ago, the moon was part of the earth, and the orbit has gradually increased.

it also dates the formation of the earth to a much earlier date than a literal creationist would admit. unlike you and i, these people would rather skip the maths to keep their beliefs intact - very unscientific.

re. the genealogy of JC, i concede your point - legally Joseph was JC's father - however, my doubt was, that by linking JC by blood to david, to fulfill the prophecy of the messiah being a descendant of david, the doctrine of the trinity was compromised. nevertheless, as a legal son of joseph, JC could claim to be a descendant of david in the sense of being of david's family line.

however, the demons which JC cast out recognised him as "son of david" - they were under no doubts   

since you mention that you don't have much time to wade through your opponent's "counterblastes" i better call it a day

thanks for the civil, reasoned interchange   Smiley

SV

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #154 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 7:46am

Smiley

Quote:
thanks for the civil, reasoned interchange

What is the saying, Christians are not perfect, just saved.  Grin

Ecclesiastes is a dificult book to comprehend. The wisdom of Solomon was spiritual and not fleshly if you understand what I am trying to say.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I am also happy that the volley was civil and no name calling etc was the order.

And lastly,

1Co 2:5  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Have a good one all

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #155 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:56pm

Great reasoning once again, Africa Slinger.  However, I'm sure you are finding out, as I did....that it really is not productive to debate with one who is thin skinned and has no ears, who borrows the idea of "civil, reasoned interchange" from the movie: Idiocracy.

Rumor has it there is a famine coming....for many it is well underway, taking several forms.

God bless,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #156 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 5:01am

if you object to bad manners then you are "thin-skinned", if you hold a different opinion then you "have no ears"  TS is right and everyone else's viewpoint is therefore necessarily wrong   

poor TS - it's unlikely that the Heavenly Host forms a conga line every time he posts, as he probably thinks and expects. nevertheless, it may be that the Lord God picks some of his "servants" to act as a dreadful example of what can go wrong if you don't guard a spiteful nature, or take care of your mental health.
in which case, thanks TS - you gobshite!  Kiss

A_S,  cheers!

SV

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #157 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 5:55am

Smiley

Last night was the first time I read the bible in some months. This posting got me thinking again and I realise I was missing out on the greatest book out there. My relationship with my Lord is not what it should be. Nontheless, the spesific book I was reading was, you guessed it Ecclesiastes, and I read the whole book. I can imagine why it is your best OT book SV, some powerfull stuff in there.

Quote:
even Solomon doesn't know what happens after death to the "spirit"

Ecc 12:7  Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

SV, I really enjoyed having this written conversation with you. I have a feeling you might have been hurt or upset by the christian community or individuals which made you change course, T_s asside since he was most likely not the cause.
The major weakness out there is that christianity is all about religion, church,doctrine and bible bashing where it should be about the relationship with God the Father, Jesus Christ our Lord and the Holy Spirit our councelor.

Go well where ever you find or have not found yourself.  Cool

T_S

A small piece out of a verse for you

Zec 4:6 "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts."

May the Lord hold you and keep you, may His face shine upon you.

Blessings

Coenie

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #158 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 6:01am

Smiley

Just don't anybody label me now as the pulpit pusher, that is not my reason for posting on this site. This site is about slings and slinging but I would not hesitate if provoked to reply to theological discussion.

Coenie

Cool

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #159 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 6:04am

Wink

So, is it real? David and Goliath

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #160 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 12:41pm

So very shortly in God's measurement of time, such question will fade away.....as "the former things will not be called to mind."

Flying like doves to the windowsills of the New Jerusalem, a city over a thousand miles in length, height and width will certainly make our memories of former time seem humble in comparison!

Thank you for that appropriate scriptural reminder and blessings in Yahshua upon you as well, Africa Slinger.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #161 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 2:35am

Let's assume that the story is real.

How good was David as a slinger?  Was it a lucky shot?  or was he so good that he was sure he could hit Goliath's forehead before getting smashed?

And how good were the slingers in the old days?  I've read that the slingers in the Roman army had to pass a test of hitting a human head size target at 600 feet.  Can they do it every shot?  

What do you think?
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2007 at 3:40am by Tint »  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #162 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 3:40am

Did Dave use the sling after he became King?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #163 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 3:44am

Well, David killed a lion the day before taking down goliath.....and must've been very confident considering how anxious he was to do what, for a many days, every Israelite warrior wished they'd had the guts to attempt.

David would have felt comfortable moving fairly close to goliath before taking the shot.  Perhaps 30 feet or so.  From this distance, he could have dodged his spear easily.

However, I feel certain that if David had shouted something like,  "I'm going to drop you like a bag of dirt" instead of, "Yahweh will deliver you into my hand this day".....

Things may have gone somewhat differently.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #164 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 5:32am

Tint wrote on Jun 7th, 2007 at 3:40am:
Did Dave use the sling after he became King?  

I have no actual evidence one way or the other but my guess is probably not as a personal weapon.

If you read on in the Biblical account you see that straight after the encounter with Goliath, King Saul's son, the Prince Jonathan publicly presented David with his own bow and other weapons. This was done as a sign of esteem and friendship, elevating David in rank to princely status.

The sling has always been the weapon of the common people. In our fabulously wealthy age it is difficult to imagine, but bows were extremely expensive, as indeed were the arrows shot from them, and well out of reach for most people. There may have even been laws prohibiting commoners from owning bows as autocrats are always worried by the prospect of an well-armed assassin. Also, a bow looks so deceptively simple but to make a good one is no easy task whereas slings were easy and cheap to produce and stones are free.

However as King, David would have commanded his armies which most likely would have included slingers. He may have on occassion shown them how it's done.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)