Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 137987 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Again, I feel it is important to refute your claim that 'no evidence whatsoever'  exists regarding David as having been a real person of importance.

Obviously you have either overlooked such evidence or, as is your right, have chosen to discount it entirely.

The following is an excerpt from this website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A9914268

Quote:
Despite the accounts of David's life and exploits as recorded in the Bible, many scholars have doubted that King David actually existed.

However, in 1868 an inscribed basalt stone, dating from the 9th Century BC - known as the Moabite Stone2 or the Mesha Stela - was discovered at Dibon, Jordan; an ancient city east of the Dead Sea, by FA Klein, a German missionary. The stone was 1.1m high and 0.6m in breadth and in thickness, rounded at the top. It consisted of thirty-four lines, written in the ancient Hebrew alphabet, a script closely related to Phoenician; and was set up by Mesha3 at Dan as a record and memorial of his victories.

The stone was, unfortunately, much fragmented but in 1993 a French scholar, Andre Lemaire, who had spent seven years piecing it all together, discovered the words 'House of David'. Line 31 of the Moabite Stone contains the words '...the sheep of the land. And the house (of Da)vid dwelt in Horonen'. This was reported in Biblical Archaeology Review, May-June, 1994. and created such a sensation that it was also reported on the front page of The New York Times. This inscription showed that Israel and Judah were important kingdoms in the 9th Century BC, and refuted the positions of those scholars who claimed that these were never nations of any significance, and even disputed that David had ever been at the head of a united monarchy.

A report in Biblical Archaeology Review, March-April 1994, states:

Avraham Biran and his team of archaeologists found a remarkable inscription from the 9th Century BC that refers to the 'House of David' and to the 'King of Israel'. This is the first time that the name David has been found in any inscription outside the Bible. That the inscription refers not simply to David but to the 'House of David', the dynasty of the great Israelite king, is even more remarkable.

There are numerous sources as to the veracity of these claims and many other biblical accounts.

Here is but a single example:

http://www.probe.org/content/view/31/77/

I respect your opinion Loki, however, based on the volume of evidence that exists as a matter of open and public record, I find that the existence of David, along with an impressive number of other characters and events, all a matter of historical Bible record, are also in agreement with Archaeological findings.

In the end, no matter one's perspective.....Loki, you are correct.  Men are not infallible.  And one must become accustomed to taking another's word as the basis for making many an important decision.  

May we all choose wisely that which we choose to incorporate each, into his or her personal character, as gleaned from the words of others....

Nay, even ourselves.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:27pm

I think for the sake of the others on this forum we should take this particular disscusion to yahoo, i sent you my yahoo id.

Loki

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:50pm

My statements are largely meant to be of possible service to Loh_Ka_hoe who posed the question....and I see no need to repair to private discussion as long as civility is maintained.   However, I am also open to private discussion here on the site.

Smiley

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:24am

If it's real, I want to know what style did David use to fling the rock! So quick and powerful that Goliath couldn't see or block? Grin

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:07am

I'd guess it would be something like the Apache-throw.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:12am

So, I guess it would probably be a style without spins like helicopter..... Just one way go. A style for face-to-face combat, like the apache-throw.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:35pm

The Apache style would have worked, or the style of Bernini's statue of David (
here
and
here
(the statue is frozen just before David dropped the rock and swung -- Matthias and I have each reconstructed a style that looks like the statue at that moment, and it is very quick and powerful).  Figure-8 would have worked also: even though there is a windup, the figure-8 is so fast that it is deceptive.  Think about it: it looks like the guy is swinging the sling in a lazy way, like he was going to lob one high and try to drop it on your head, and then suddenly it snaps -- and then your headbones snap.  The figure-8 is the fastest of all the styles I have tried; Goliath would not have had time to raise his shield to block the stone, if David was within 30 yards or so.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #22 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 3:30pm

Never could get the fig-8 to work so I have no idea of it's speed. on over/sidehand styles. I definately agree the Apache style ( or something similar to it) would definately have the speed and power to do the job. I also tend to use a style similar to the Bernini and can second the thought that it too comes out with a heck of a lot of velocity and power.

Marc Adkins

Dale wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:35pm:
The Apache style would have worked, or the style of Bernini's statue of David (
here
and
here
(the statue is frozen just before David dropped the rock and swung -- Matthias and I have each reconstructed a style that looks like the statue at that moment, and it is very quick and powerful).  Figure-8 would have worked also: even though there is a windup, the figure-8 is so fast that it is deceptive.  Think about it: it looks like the guy is swinging the sling in a lazy way, like he was going to lob one high and try to drop it on your head, and then suddenly it snaps -- and then your headbones snap.  The figure-8 is the fastest of all the styles I have tried; Goliath would not have had time to raise his shield to block the stone, if David was within 30 yards or so.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:21pm

Here's an intresting one I have an article that discusses that david may not have hit Golith in the forehead. the arguement is based on some neuances of ancient hebrew. the target according to the paper was that david was aiming for Golith's leg
Not syaing it's what really happened but it's definately something to sit and ponder one night.
I post the actual reference when i get home

Marc Adkins

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:24am:
There's no doubt that a smooth river stone could be slung with enough velocity to crush skull-bone and instantly kill a man. The original question being did David exist and did he kill a man known as Goliath with a sling....aside from historical accounts and some artifacts to suggest that David did exist and rule the jews for a time, I believe and take on faith the account of David killing Goliath.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:23pm

Aiming for the leg? That makes sense too.... Huh Accuracy is really strange..... A real master can hit an intended target for sure with a projectile weapon. Roll Eyes

Off topic: there is a man called Rufus Hussey, also known as the beanshooterman, who can hit a target for sure with a tree fork slingshot. During his interviews, the interviewers must put a target close to his own body, and the man will shoot at it! Like holding a target in the hand, or putting a target on the head! He seemed to have never missed any shots. Shocked

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:34pm

Sounds like a very good way to get rid of pesky reporters ... those with brains, consider the risk and leave; those without, stay and hold the target.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:59pm

Ok here is the reference:
Deem, Ariella. "...And the Stone Sank into his Forehead. A note on 1 Samuel XVII 49." Vetus Testamentum, Vol 28, Fasc. 3, p349-351. July 1978

I'll discuss a bit of it in my next posts

Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:21pm:
Here's an intresting one I have an article that discusses that david may not have hit Golith in the forehead. the arguement is based on some neuances of ancient hebrew. the target according to the paper was that david was aiming for Golith's leg
Not syaing it's what really happened but it's definately something to sit and ponder one night.
I post the actual reference when i get home

Marc Adkins

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:24am:
There's no doubt that a smooth river stone could be slung with enough velocity to crush skull-bone and instantly kill a man. The original question being did David exist and did he kill a man known as Goliath with a sling....aside from historical accounts and some artifacts to suggest that David did exist and rule the jews for a time, I believe and take on faith the account of David killing Goliath.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:03pm

The authof the paper discusses a couple of other incidents in hebrew history where the leg was intended target of the sling and then killed the bad guy with his own weapon.
Basicly it's a variation of shoot them in the leg to disable them and them get in close while they are otherwise occupied and then take them out permantly.

Marc Adkins

LKH9 wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:23pm:
Aiming for the leg? That makes sense too.... Huh Accuracy is really strange..... A real master can hit an intended target for sure with a projectile weapon. Roll Eyes

Off topic: there is a man called Rufus Hussey, also known as the beanshooterman, who can hit a target for sure with a tree fork slingshot. During his interviews, the interviewers must put a target close to his own body, and the man will shoot at it! Like holding a target in the hand, or putting a target on the head! He seemed to have never missed any shots. Shocked

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:32am

The most unexpected event for David himself was that he killed Goliath with the first shot. Because he had selected five stones when preparing himself for the fight. For me that sounds a little bit too realistic for being a "fairy tale".

funda iucunda

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #29 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 5:21am

funda_iucunda wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:32am:
The most unexpected event for David himself was that he killed Goliath with the first shot. Because he had selected five stones when preparing himself for the fight. For me that sounds a little bit too realistic for being a "fairy tale".

funda iucunda

Makes sense too. Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)