Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 138280 times)
Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #135 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:17am

Grin Smiley Wink

Sorry all, have to do this but the previous post earned me my 100th post and the new title of Full member even though I have been on this forum for 2 years. I obviously did not have much to say  Smiley

For those who wish to translate by some means into afrikaans " 'n stil bek is 'n heel bek"

Sorry for the hi-jack but we are used to them in South Africa  Cheesy

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #136 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:20pm

Afrika Slinger, you are speaking very frankly about what I'm doing with this mail: reaching for the 100. But we shouldn't worry about it.  There will always be somebody writing even more meaningless mails. Cool

Does your Afrikaans saying mean something like "A silent mouth keeps its health"?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #137 - May 23rd, 2007 at 3:18am

Grin

Congrats on your 100. The meaning is something like you said.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #138 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 4:39pm

Thanks Africa Slinger!  Cheesy
But I hope we didn't interrupt any theological discussion  Roll Eyes

funda iucunda

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #139 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 2:39pm

loki is actually very wrong there have been many discoveries of places where biblical stories have taken place and they fit, the city of Jericho was found and there was evidence of the whole site collapsing ect..

sodom and gomorrah was found and there was evidence of huge fires

an old coastline was found 300 feet underwater that was tied to noahs arc

there are many more

they've found proof of goliath and david is mentioned more than jesus in the bible (o.O)

of course we all know that a sling is very deadly and cant be very accurate in the hands of an experienced slinger

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #140 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 9:22pm

Quote:
an old coastline was found 300 feet underwater that was tied to noahs arc

wow, well i'm convinced 

no, wait a minute....it takes an hour to properly clean out a couple of rabbits, a few white mice, and a ferret - the chances of every animal in the world being fed, watered and kept clean for 40 days on a wooden ship are zero. which species is easy or even possible to care for at sea?  leopards, wild boar, cicadas, black mambas?
Noah forgot about the sabre-toothed tiger, but brought the non-sabre toothed one, and why didn't he leave rats, ticks, fleas lice and bed-bugs off the cargo manifest?      

as far as corroborating evidence goes, if someone found a pair of large wooden waterproof canoe-shaped boots, with "from the workshops of Jesus Christ" written in them, would that explain the "walking on water" story to a Christian? nah, they have their Book, which is always right since it says so itself - and it is never wrong, being the Word of God - which it also says itself.

in fact, apart from recording the the presence of the Roman Empire, the Bible is unsubstantiated for the most part, and incorrect in many respects.

example: the Bible records God as saying the following to the serpent

Quote:
Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

next time you go to the zoo, ask what kind of dust their snakes eat. and if the quote isn't to be taken literally, well then maybe the Ark isn't literal, or the 6 day creation, or the virgin birth. 

Quote:
Though many will and are, giving up the faith, saying:  "My master is delaying"

the reason why no-one's seen the master for 2000 years is the same reason why Julius Caesar is "delaying" - it's because, well, he happens to be dead. 

SV

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #141 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 10:16pm

Wannabeslinger, I loved your comments.  Good stuff, keep up the good work.

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm

Revelation 19:11-21

Cry

TS
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007 at 11:17pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #142 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 4:58am

as any scholar of holy writ will see, Matthew 1:6-16 AND Luke 3:23-31 both contradict Luke 1:35

for all you holy joes who would rather congratulate each other about the contents of an overturned troopship found in the depths, and who feel that ignoring a valid objection is reasonable, or even good manners.... 

[quote]I said in my heart with regard to human beings that God is testing them to show that they are but animals. For the fate of humans and the fate of animals is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and humans have no advantage over the animals; for all is vanity. All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knows whether the human spirit goes upward and the spirit of animals goes downward to the earth?/quote]

if Solomon pronounces thusly, who are we to argue?  Grin

SV

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #143 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 7:15am

I believe the careful Bible student is likely to conclude that Matthew and
Luke present two different genealogies. Following through the genealogies,
one will notice that there are some names which are common to both, but
also, an great number of differences. Matthew begins at the patriarch
Abraham, and works his way to Jesus the Christ. Luke begins at Jesus,
and works his way back to Adam. There are two genealogies, with two
distinct purposes. Matthew, it appears reveals the genealogy of Joseph,
and Luke, presents the genealogy of Mary.
Matthew, penning his gospel with the Jews in mind sets out to establish
Jesus' qualifications to be the Messiah through Joseph's genealogy. Thus,
beginning with Abraham, he maps the Lord's genealogy through David, and
the kings which followed. He presents Jesus royal lineage (through the
males) through "...Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born
Jesus..."
Luke, writes to the Gentiles with a view toward the humanity of Christ. The
concept of one being both God and man would seem strange and foreign
to those accustomed to Greek and Roman gods. Thus, Luke begins at
Jesus, and follows the genealogy of Mary, passing through the patriarchs,
ending with the very first man, Adam.
If Luke is tracing the genealogy of Mary, why does he cite Joseph's name?
Today, it would be politically incorrect to map a woman's genealogy through
her husband, however, in Luke's day, it was proper and correct. Luke
follows Mary's genealogy, beginning with the name of Joseph, her husband,
Heli's son-in-law (in legal terms, his son by marriage).
There is no contradiction.  Cool

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #144 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 8:56am

thanks for your reply. it would seem that there are 2 genealogies, since there are few similarities.   
as far as i can recall, the two genealogies contain only 3 names in common - Jesus, joseph and david.
apart from the fact that the genealogy which commences with adam would date the earth to well under the scientifically accepted age of several billion years, the purpose seems to be to note that Jesus was a direct descendant of david. as the promised Messiah, such a lineage would be of benefit in His mission.
JC might well have been a descendant of king david, but since in later years He was assumed to be of divine origin and conceived of the Holy Spirit, any genealogy must be false - either that, or the doctrine of the Trinity is false. 
i'm not convinced that your explanation is a good one, it seems to be contrived to account for the differences. nevertheless, it's an interesting topic for discussion, thanks again for the reply  Smiley

SV

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #145 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 9:52am

Grin

Sure, only a pleasure. One to you though, here goes.

Quote:
would date the earth to well under the scientifically accepted age of several billion years

I guess moondrift as sientifically accepted is a farce then, since a couple of billion years of drift ago, the moon would have been touching the earth.

Coenie

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #146 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 1:05pm

cheers, apparently the moon's orbit does change, you are correct.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=699

from wikipedia

Quote:
The tidal bulges on Earth are carried ahead of the Earth-Moon axis by a small amount as a result of the Earth's rotation. This is a direct consequence of friction and the dissipation of energy as water moves over the ocean bottom and into or out of bays and estuaries. As a result, some of the Earth's rotational momentum is gradually being transferred to the Moon's orbital momentum, and this causes the Moon to slowly recede from Earth at the rate of approximately 38 millimetres per year. Due to conservation of angular momentum, the Earth's rotation is gradually slowing, and the Earth's day thus lengthens by about 17 microseconds every year (this would make each Earth day one second longer every 60,000 years or so, by one minute longer every four million years, and by four hours longer in 1 billion years' time. Looking back, the day was a mere 23h in length when the Dinosaurs roamed the Earth 65 million years ago). See tidal acceleration for a more detailed description and references.

however, since JC didn't mention astronomy (or evolution) it seems that these theories or hypotheses are up to the individual

SV

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #147 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 1:23pm

Africa Slinger, great points you've made. 

http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/SBS777/vital/evolutio.html

Blessings in Yahshua,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #148 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:01pm

great -  as to evolution, the USA - source of much wisdom and common sense has come up with the following

http://news.ufl.edu/2004/02/20/artificialdna/

what can possibly go wrong?

SV

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #149 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:17pm

i commented on the unfeasability of noah's ark, based purely on logistics and intractable nature of wild beasts, and no reply was forthcoming, just a post about the red sea crossing. the locial reson for wheels under the sea (wrecked cargo ship) was ignored and africa_slinger kindly responded to the genealogy question with a reasoned rely - he ignored the point about any genealogy conflicting with the trinity, but raised an astronomical question instead, ie lunar orbital change supposedly contradicting the "old earth" theory. to my scientifically valid reposne, TS in his wisdom congratulates A_S and brings up evolution.
is there ANY possibility that a creationist can debate a particular point without changing the subject?

SV

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)