Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 138282 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #120 - May 7th, 2007 at 3:46pm

Sv,

TechStuf had the plywood giant leaning against a rock wall, looks like, when he shot it; the later close-up views were taken after he had moved it back to his garage.  Fooled me, too; I had actually written something about his phenomenal accuracy and confidence, and on impulse I viewed the video again, and was forced to erase what I wrote.  The accuracy is still phenomenal; the confidence, depends on whether TS knew if there was anything breakable on the other side of that wall.

You have an interesting point about spelling "God" with a hyphen instead of an "O".  Is it that such a one wishes to refer to God but does not wish to offend?  Foolishness.

D-le

P.S. -- On a related topic: What did Jesus think he was about, that day in the temple, when he said "Before Abraham was, I AM"?  The word he used was the same that God used, when Moses asked "When Pharoah asks who sent me to him, who shall I say?" -- and God answered "I AM WHO I AM.  Tell him that I AM has sent you."  Of course they tried to stone him!  Jesus had just told them, "I am God."  Anyway, I believe that I AM is usually written as "the tetragrammaton" which is usually transliterated into English as YHWH or "Yahweh".

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #121 - May 8th, 2007 at 6:13am

Quote:
The accuracy is still phenomenal

he not only talks bollocks, he can shoot too

SV

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #122 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:01am

sv wrote on May 7th, 2007 at 6:18am:
since goliath would be well aware of the deadliness of the sling, i think david carried a staff as camouflage, and hid the sling until goliath was within range.  SV  

Hi SV,

I too have been intrigued by the fact that the sling doesn't get a mention at all in the preliminaries to the battle, not until David selects the five stones from the creek. Even when David is convincing Saul to let him go to fight he never mentions it. Do you think that Goliath and the military men of the time did not consider the sling a viable weapon?

Houndog,

If your friend is truly interested, show him TechStuf's video. That demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that it could be done. But I think the only way your friend will admit it is to have him tied up to that board with TechStuf in front of him sling in hand. You can't convince anyone against his will, it's a matter of faith; arguments about religion are a singular waste of time.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #123 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:11am

hi aussieslinger

Quote:
Do you think that Goliath and the military men of the time did not consider the sling a viable weapon?

yes, that's a possibility - like poison gas today, or crossbows in the middle ages. maybe it was ignoble to want to attack an enemy without personal risk.
i wouldn't think that the philistines thought of the sling as being feeble because it clearly isn't - maybe the soldiery of the day, intent on proving themselves in hand-to-hand combat, just didn't think it was a "sporting" way to fight

SV      

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #124 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:19am

Quote:
arguments about religion are a singular waste of time.

the people who are doing the arguing will hone their ideas and become more entrenched and defensive. people tend to select a view for or against, and only then do they look for evidence to prove themselves right.

the only viable and logical stance is agnosticism. even if you went back in time to see Jesus Christ himself, you would still have to take his claims on faith  - is he talking to God, or is he not? was he really dead when placed in the tomb, or only in a coma? what you eventually decide is NOT based on evidence

SV

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #125 - May 9th, 2007 at 12:05am

Jeepers... and I took Him at his word to ask by simple prayer.  I don't believe he ever asked folks, let alone expected them to take him at his word.  He told Peter when he responded He (Jesus) was the Christ, the son of the living God, that flesh and blood had not revealed that knowledge to him but his Father which was in heaven...  I don't think God backed up the knowledge truck and dumped that on Peter without his first asking through simple prayer... but most people don't believe God both hears and answers prayers... Right???  ... and if we believe something then THAT is our reality...

George N

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #126 - May 9th, 2007 at 12:51am

I must point out that if Jesus was only in a coma that he wouldn't have been able to move the HUGE stone that the romans put over his grave opening. Let alone get past the guards that were posted.
Totally off the subject of Goliath but a good discussion anyway.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #127 - May 10th, 2007 at 6:18am

hi Funslinger

you are right, corroboration is the key. however, it is impossible for an account to verify itself. the only account of the water and blood wound is in the Bible itself, which we "know" to be true because it's the word of God.
by the same reasoning, the account of Mohammed's ascent into heaven astride a winged horse must also be true, since the Koran is (it says!) the word of God - like the Bible, the only verification for it's divine origin is what we read in it - what it says about itself.
so IF Jesus was dead (as proved by the spear) and came back to life then what the Bible says is true. But if it isn't true, and was written years after the event after legends had started to spring up, how would we know?
as i said earlier, we choose for or against a religion, depending on our innate characters, then review the evidence from a for-or-against standpoint.

"why has no-one seen Julius Caesar, who lived 2000 years ago?"

- because he's dead

"why has no-one seen Jesus Christ, who lived 2000 years ago?

- because he's alive but we can't see him?  errrm, is there a problem here??

i'll stick with "not proven"   

SV    

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #128 - May 14th, 2007 at 1:28am

Hey all!
I took my friend slinging the other day! (this is the friend that doesn't believe in the power of the sling)
He Loved it!  He wasnt that great but he had a good time and said "I can see how this can be fun" (as he slung another stone)
I also showed him TechStuf's Goliath video, and he is now leaning toward the fact that a sling Can kill someone!
Making progress! Cheesy

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #129 - May 14th, 2007 at 2:24am

Quote:
I also showed him TechStuf's Goliath video, and he is now leaning toward the fact that a sling Can kill someone! Making progress!

I don't know as I'd call 'leaning toward the fact that a sling can kill someone', progress.  If your testimony to him about Christ's wisdom and sacrifice do not give life to what is inscribed upon his heart, then the example of David's bravery in the face of his oppressor will be hard pressed to increase his understanding.  I sincerely hope that your friend comes to understand the comparatively small place such example holds in light of the many greater truths contained in the Holy Scriptures.

Afterall, anyone can take a life with a choice of myriad weapons.....though how many can return life to the dead and dying? 

At any rate, Blessings be upon you and your friend, in Yahshua, Jesus Christ

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #130 - May 18th, 2007 at 3:57am

Conteilboos wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 1:28am:
Hey all!
I took my friend slinging the other day! (this is the friend that doesn't believe in the power of the sling)
He Loved it!  He wasnt that great but he had a good time and said "I can see how this can be fun" (as he slung another stone)
I also showed him TechStuf's Goliath video, and he is now leaning toward the fact that a sling Can kill someone!
Making progress! Cheesy

"Leaning Toward!!!!?????" Who doesn't lean toward the notion that having a 4 oz. rock imbedded in your skull will materially shorten your life expectancy. But as you say at least it's some sort of progress.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #131 - May 20th, 2007 at 4:39pm

Today people tend to underestimate the sling because they are used to weapons of - more or less - mass destruction (machine guns, missiles, bombs etc.) making them think that a weapon that doesn't kill 10 at once isn't lethal at all.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #132 - May 20th, 2007 at 10:36pm

Quote:
they are used to weapons of - more or less - mass destruction

Which are brought to you by your 'friendly' neighborhood beast and it's little horn.  (The co-opted world power structure and the antiChrist power base of Israel, who controls it and much of the world's governments).

While our men willingly fight and die to defend Ideologies like the following:

http://www.revisionisthistory.org/talmudtruth.html

http://www.cephasministry.com/masonry_testimony_1.html

http://straitwaytruth.com/artman/publish/article_109.shtml

Both serve the Devil and are in control of much of the world.....the entertainment industry, virtually entirely controlled by them, helps them keep the minds of many distracted from seeing the light of truth.

Christ returns soon enough, with a long sword.  The only true and righteous weapon of mass destruction ever wielded.  Though many will and are, giving up the faith, saying:  "My master is delaying".

Rev-19:11-16

God bless us all,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #133 - May 21st, 2007 at 1:38am

Just one question TS. Where do you find the time to look up all this stuff?????Almost every time you post you have two or three new sites up for investigation.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #134 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:06am

This should make for a good read to those who feel so inclined or the ones that believe the bible counts for naught http://www.allaboutthejourney.org/bible-manuscripts.htm

In short, there is more supportive ancient documents for the bible than any other ancient texts, yet no one questions the validity of any of them. Please go see for youself.

Posted by: TechStuf Posted on: May 20th, 2007, 10:36pm

Quote:
Christ returns soon enough, with a long sword.  The only true and righteous weapon of mass destruction ever wielded.  Though many will and are, giving up the faith, saying:  "My master is delaying".

So true, thank you for reminding me again of the hope we all should have.

Coenie
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2007 at 9:33am by Africa_Slinger »  

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)