Send Topic Print
Question Hondero (Read 4799 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Question Hondero
May 14th, 2004 at 12:26pm

Hondero
Being that you live in Spain with it's history of many battles(Roman,Celt-Iberian),have you ever dug up any glandes? I know in Tennessee you can dig up lead bullets from Civil War battles.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Question Hondero
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2004 at 4:28pm

Yes, hereabouts both Romans and Celtiberians have used glandes in the wars and is very common to find them in many places. Iīve got a good collection, some hundred of them, someones found by myself but most given by friends or bought. With a good metal detector you could find amounts of glandes near archaeological places, but evidently it is forbidden  Undecided Angry  Iīd like to have thousands of them.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2004 at 5:21pm

Wow!   Shocked 8)  I don't suppose you ever throw them?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2004 at 5:55pm

Quote:
...With a good metal detector you could find amounts of glandes near archaeological places...

Wow! What the grand lead supply! I would recast them to more fine new ones  Grin

Jurek Wink

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2004 at 2:08am

I have a cousin who was a school teacher in Northern Greece during WWII and she told me that for a time many of her students would bring in the glandes that they dug up for show and tell.  She had collected so many that she gave them to the partisans to use for ammo.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2004 at 2:43am

Sparticus, what a misadventure that of your cousin! Iīve heard similar stories, like to use archaeological vessels as target by workers at a gravel plant.

Hobb and Yurek, Ah guys... what do you say ??  ??? Grin... to throw or recast my precious glandes!!... with the ballistic information they have, and also the hidden stories they can own. They can have killed a Roman or can have been thrown by a long Balearic sling and surmonted the present distance record of distance. Some of them have a crush point that is telling they have flown point-first, but others have no marks and even a group of them have been not thrown and looks completely perfect, all identical, from the same  cast. Others have been remolded by hammer in differents ways to get special effects. Someones are very little, less than 20 gr and others, the Romans specially, are big, but the biggest is about 100 gr. Someones have very elongated points but others are paunchy or barrel shaped.

If someone in the forum have got some glandes it would be interesting to know information about size, shape, etc.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2004 at 1:20pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2004 at 3:53am

It must be quite strange to find mounds of small lead rugby balls if you don't know what they are.  In England, I have found some very old things, such as various pieces of Roman pottery, and also once the head of a pike from the civil war, up near the site of Marston Moor.  But I have never found anything I could actually use again.  It must be interesting to make new things out of such old things.

IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2004 at 11:38am

Hondero,

Yes, a misadventure indeed.  That is very true.  I caught friends of mine using slingshots on amphora vases that they found at a construction site.  Unfortunatly I arrived too late and only managed to save one vase of the five or so that they found.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2004 at 6:04pm

Sparticus
You need to go back to Greece and talk to all the old timers and get some great stories about the sling!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2004 at 12:09am

Hey Johnny,

I know.  I was in Greece last Oct. and visited my mom's village.  Unfortunatly most of the old timers have now past on.  I did get the chance to see a number of glandes on display in Athens and I did get to use my sling at the Parthenon.  Nearly got arrested for it, but it was alot of fun.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2004 at 4:42am

Hondero,

From what regions have you collected the glandes in Spain? Are they generally dispersed o gathered in a heap? Do you find them among the ruins of an old building or in the opened field?

Gracias.

Foner

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2004 at 6:21am

Quote:
... Others have been remolded by hammer in differents ways to get special effects. Someones are very little, less than 20 gr and others, the Romans specially, are big, but the biggest is about 100 gr. Someones have very elongated points but others are paunchy or barrel shaped.

Hondero,

I'm trying to imagine, how ancient slings used for throwing those 20 g. glandes looked like. For effective throwing such light projetiles they should have a reduced air drag and supple pouches. The all ancient slings, which I saw on different pictures here, were rather solid. The ancient people hadn't "hi-tech" matherials though. Might it be, that they use those light glandes as shot?

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2004 at 12:39pm

Foner,
The origin of these glades is various for most are bought or giving. They come from Andalucía, Extremadura, Castilla, Baleares, etc. According to the information I gathered, someones were found scattered around Celtiberian or Iberian ancient villages that were in war against the Romans. Others have appeared in reservoirs inside the villages or very close in Roman camps, probably in areas of training.
I havnīt got any from your land but I know archaeological references of glandes there too, like the reservoir in a defensive tower of the fortalice of "Puntal dels Llops" (Valencia).

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2004 at 1:08pm

Yurek,
Yes, itīs very surprising that the ancients could throw these little glandes. Even a normal glans does not match the ancient slings we know. I think the ancient slings kept, like Andean or Egyptian ones,  are for throwing stones. But I can imagine the Romans using a narrow strip of leather for throwing glandes, for instance. Itīs an exciting field of research thought I think there is not any literary reference...  Roll Eyes
About throwing several little glandes together, Iīve tried it and donīt work, as they spread too much. Nevertheless this can be done with two half glandes, that can be thrown together like one, and then the grouping is good.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2004 at 3:23pm

Hondero,

Quote:
...But I can imagine the Romans using a narrow strip of leather for throwing glandes, for instance...

Yeah, you might be right. For the distance practices I use the sling with the cradle made of the two narrow strips (reduced mgreenfield's design) and very thin cords. That sling is able to hurl as well 120 grams stones or so as 20 grams ones. I don't like very light stones but sometimes I find perfect shaped ones and then I use them. I was surprised when I had found, that they are able to reach great distances too. The smallest ones might weigh just about 20 grams. Surpassing the 200 distance with them isn't a big problem, if they don't get the "buzzy" fly.  Considering a much better the balistic coefficient of the lead glandes, we can suppose, that they might fly pretty far and be efficient at battle-fields.

Maybe, the ancient used so small ones, because they were able to carry a greater amount of the projectiles, and as a result were able to made a more lasting fire ???

Jurek

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)