Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question Hondero (Read 4829 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Question Hondero
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2004 at 4:44pm

Quote:

Maybe, the ancient used so small ones, because they were able to carry a greater amount of the projectiles, and as a result were able to made a more lasting fire ???

Quite possible Smiley ... and may be too that at short range the little ones penetrate easily, been realy as bloody as arrows   Shocked

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #16 - May 20th, 2004 at 7:56am

Quote:
Yeah, you might be right. For the distance practices I use the sling with the cradle made of the two narrow strips (reduced mgreenfield's design) and very thin cords.

Jurek, ....those little x2-strip pockets DO indeed work well.  I'm not using anything else on new slings.  Question:  What are the dimensions of the narrow strips you mentioned??

Also, if you have to carry sling ammo very far, there IS indeed a lot to be said for smaller glandes.   I have a bag of about 60 homebrew clay glandes, ....most at 65grams, a few at 80grams.    It weighs between 9 & 10lbs, .....and that's just 60 shots.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #17 - May 20th, 2004 at 2:57pm

Hondero,

Most probably, the small glandes weren't as lethal as bigger ones but they was able to eliminate more enemies, mainly by hurting them only and breaking their moral. The power was in quanity.

Today I hurled a few very small oval stones (maybe about 2 cm (0.8") long). I heard their clear pops deep in the 200 m far-away forest, despite the noise of blowing wind  Shocked I wouldn't like to be hit by them  Undecided

MGreenfield,

My leather strips are ca. 13 mm (1/2") wide and the lenght (between the holes) is 100 mm (4"). Before I used longer ones but I have shortened them, because that longer cradle lost stones too often. It is better now. I like that adjustable design.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 3:50pm

Too much good info to let be hidden in the back of the forum.
Worth reading the whole topic!!!!

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)