Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
By Jupiter! A Historical Sling Bullet (Read 15333 times)
justin Ball

Re: By Jupiter! A Historical Sling Bullet
Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 6:12pm

Getting some bits for my car the other week, I asked if I could have a few wheel nuts from my local scrappy. Hard, dense, free, pretty much useless to anyone else...

Golf balls can be had cheap.

How about casting copper, rather than lead?

Rather than moulds, why not dropping 2oz amounts of molten lead from your garage roof into a 50 gallon oil drum filled with water...sort of like how they made bird shot up to .38 a few centuries back. Yes, they did find that dropping the lead from higher heights did improve the spheres produced, and produced towers to drop it from, visited one in Virginia.

I still think treating the world as your ammo dump makes a sling a wonderful toy.

Justin

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #31 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 2:18am

Umm I found the old computer Mouse ball quite good to sling. Don't know how they construct them but they are quite heavy for thier size.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #32 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:35am

Have you ever tried soapstone? It works great for molds, and will last forever if taken care of right.
  Personally, I would put a smiley face on one side of the bullet, and on the other side, " Pleased to meet you."
   Have you ever thought of using either pewter or Brittania metal for the slugs? They are easier to get, and you don't run into the problem of antimony poisoning.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Antti
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Finland
Reply #33 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 10:43am

Well..
I can get 3 kilos of (scrap) lead with 1 dollar.. maybe I should try to make some glandes.. I was thinking of melting lead out in the garden, and keeping myself upwind from the melting pot.

Having said this, I have heard of a gas-mask, which is designed to filter lead-fumes.. might be a good idea.

Someone wrote, that he had grinded lead with a angle-grinder.. sharp knife should be enough, because lead is reaaaally soft.

I try to make some glandes, will post pictures, when ready..

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #34 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:40am

nightweave, do you mean a track ball mouse or a normal mouse?  a normal mouse ball is  a little grey rubber thing.  track ball balls are big (there is a track ball company that makes trackballs that you can replace with pool balls) dense plastic things.  i have thought many times
"what good ammo this smooth dense hard sphere would make for my sling."

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)