Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The lead glande after landing on a runway (Read 13499 times)
Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
The lead glande after landing on a runway
Jun 21st, 2004 at 3:59pm

I must think about wheels for glandes Cheesy

Jurek
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:13pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Re: The lead glande after landing on a runway
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 9:18pm

Great idea, to throw on a run way, were you able to recover all you threw? What did they weigh and of course, how far did it go? Looks like it wasn't traveling in the point first spiral, going by the impact marks on the side.
Oscar

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 12:06am

Wow!

That would really hurt the face huh? I got to make me some of those babies!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 7:02am

The last weekend I only reconnoitred the near aerodrome due to future range tests. However, I had two residual glanes, so I slung them along the runway ad hoc, without any warm-up. I recovered only the one of them. The second one most probably was bounced out of the runway into the grass. That one went some to the left, and hit near the edge of the runway (50 m wide, at a guess). I heard its knock. The first one I have recovered easy despite having no observer nearly the fall zone.

The weight of the glande was almost 120 grams. I didn't measured precisely the distance. I measured only the one conrete slab and next couted them. From the calculation I have got the range 388 metres.

One of the glandes flied with wobbling and noise, one calmly.

Jurek
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2004 at 4:49pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 4:33pm

Yurek,

Have you ever shot down an airplane with one of those glands while at the airport? Grin

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 4:59pm

It was the military airport in the past. Nowadays that large terrain is partialy used by the aeroclub and different buisnesses. That day there wasn't flights, alas Sad If so, I would try to hit one of them, sure Cheesy

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 8:28pm

Does Poland have good slinging weather in the summer?
Tennessee is VERY hot and humid!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 8:41pm

I can back Johnny up on that one.  It IS hot and humid in Tennessee during the summer.  It rains about every other day.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 9:21pm

A few generations back, my ancestors lived in Cleburne County. Do you live anywhere near that area? Any good rocks to be found in ole rocky top?!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 9:26pm

Yurek,
That is a very impressive distance! What length sling do you use?

IP Logged

zeluiz
Tiro

Once slinger, always slinger

Porto Alegre
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 2:54am

I believe that lead glandes are much more accuracy and have longer range than Stones specially in the windy days. What is your opinion?

Trzymaj sie! Jezeli znajdzie sie okazja to sztrzelaj do jakiegos nisko latajacego samolotu a potem opowiadaj nam co sie stalo Cheesy

Aquele abraço!

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:54am

Johnny,

I live in Blount county.  It's about 3 counties south of there.  There are plenty of rocks here.  There's even a river near by if I want some flat ones.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 12:06pm

longwinger,

I used the 50" long sling. Normally I use shorter ones, they are easier to manage. That long one I use for longer range shots.

Johnny,

We have the temperate climate, so generally that is ok. Sometimes there are heats too. It is't good weather for slinging, indeed,  specially on a runway Smiley But this summer is cold and rainy until now.

zeluiz,

Yeah, you are right. Lead ammo work much better, no doubts. It is pitty that lead almonds don't grow on trees Smiley I usually use stones as the ammo, their quality is mostly average. With lead glandes I get considerably longer ranges. I didn't sling a lot lead missiles as far, just a few dozens. I only used them for distaces, but I'm sure they are more accurate too. The wind have a much smaller influence on the glade trajectory, because they are more dense than stones, what gives a better balistic coefficient.

Shocked Nie wiedzialem, ze w Brazylii tez mowia po polsku Wink Milo bylo przeczytac tutaj, te pare slow we wlasnym jezyku. Nie bede mogl w nocy zasnac, jak mi nie zdradzisz skad znasz polski  Grin Pozdrawiam i obiecuje informowac o kazdym trafionym samolocie Cheesy

Jurek

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 1:53pm

Yurek, I was going to ask, how do you recover lead glandes??  I'm preparing to gather materials to cast some myself ... I'll keep a few back as show pieces (I do Roman re-enactment and will most likley create glandes with authentic Roman inscriptions) but I MUST sling some lead!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 2:39pm

Mithras,

That glande on the pcture is the first one I have recovered. Before I lost all the glandes, and only knew an approximative points of landing from relations of observers. On the runway there was no problem with it. But as I said above I slung only two glandes. One of them was painted with orange acrylic dye, which has chipped off almost entirely. Soon I will cast some amount of new ones. Yeah, slinging lead is something different than slinging stones, they fly as if they have own power. Good luck!

Jurek

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)