Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The lead glande after landing on a runway (Read 13537 times)
JohnHorn
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: The lead glande after landing on a runway
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 10:01pm

Wow!  Grin

Finally evidence to all the non-believers that slings have superior range.

The only thing I had trouble understanding is ... I am unable to see what the picture is. What is that picture supposed to represent? It looks blurry on the sides, but clear in the centre.. and the centre of the gland looks like some bad fractally-generated 3d-terrain made in Bryce. I'm not saying it's false, just saying how odd your photo is, that it makes me see such strange qualities in it. Smiley I am in no doubt that it's real, it just looked so odd. Could be the photography itself.. or something.
Try making a photo of it in an indoor well-lit surrounding.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 5:40am

Quote:
Wow!  Grin

Finally evidence to all the non-believers that slings have superior range.

The only thing I had trouble understanding is ... I am unable to see what the picture is. What is that picture supposed to represent? It looks blurry on the sides, but clear in the centre.. and the centre of the gland looks like some bad fractally-generated 3d-terrain made in Bryce. I'm not saying it's false, just saying how odd your photo is, that it makes me see such strange qualities in it. Smiley I am in no doubt that it's real, it just looked so odd. Could be the photography itself.. or something.
Try making a photo of it in an indoor well-lit surrounding.

John,

That range doesn't seem to be as impressive as Larry Bray's and David Engvall's achieves:

L. Bray - 437 m with a stone
D. Engvall - 473 m with the special dart.

The above picture isn't a photography. This is only the scan of the tore off surface of the glande. I used the flat CIS scanner, that have a low sharpness (focus) depth (~3 mm) and the black background.

Here is the picture (from my classic camera) with the glades casted in the same mold. This picture was published on this forum once before.

Jurek
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:10pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 4:04pm

Yurek, you said you know the approximative points of landing for your lead glandes.  I was wondering if a metal detector would assist you in locating your glandes.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 4:14pm

Yurek - even more questions!!! I'm currently making clay moulds for glandes and its a bit of a fiddly business. Who do you produce such perfect castings?????

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 3:58pm

ZaQ,

That place is very difficult terrain for finding glandes but good for slinging and have a shelter for an observer. A metal detector could help, of course, but I don't have that one. There was railway line before, so there is a lot scrap-metal in the ground. Some poeple seek that with metal dedectors.

Mithras,

I molded these glades in the mold made of plaster of paris. The models I rolled of the hot-setting plasticine paste for children. Just a simple but time-consuming technology, require a bit care.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #20 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 3:48pm

Just wondering about the landing that your lead friend made  on the runway. On hard surfaces, such projectiles bounce and roll quite a bit, making it hard to determine an accurate range. Maybe a lead glande deforms on landing and doesn't roll as much? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 5:49pm

Quote:
Just wondering about the landing that your lead friend made  on the runway. On hard surfaces, such projectiles bounce and roll quite a bit, making it hard to determine an accurate range. Maybe a lead glande deforms on landing and doesn't roll as much?

This is my first recovered glande, so I'm not an expert on these deformations. But lead is very soft metal and that undisputed fact explain that kind of damage. The first imapct enegy makes the plastic deformation and heat, so glandes don't bounce immediately but in this short time they slide on concrete (what wipes them and additionally slows down). When the deformation stops (due to lack the kinetic energy), just then the glandes start bouncing but not so very mightly. Just my theory.

This glande was a bit deformed and had a few not large bruises and rasures on the other sides. That one lost almost all dye during the first knock. I heard that knock clearly, so hidden in different positions observers shouldn't have a problem with determination where to start the search for the impact point marked by the peeled dye and lead.

Soon I will do the more accurate testing on the runway.

Jurek

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #22 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 5:29pm

Today I slung the lead glandes on the runway again. Their "injuries" were similar. They didn't bounced far from the impacts points. All ones mostly had the one wide flattering and a few (some 1 or 2) smal razures or bruises. Looks like they "sticks" to the concrete. The surface of the big flat distorsion of some glandes had marks of frication, but some of them were only crushed,  had a texture of the concrete (I think it was glades that I slung more high). I was amazed because one of the glandes didn't lose the paint cover, even the flattered surface has kept the paint but that one was darkened from the high temperature.  Looks like it had sat and stayed in the impact point ???

It was really nice slinging, couldn't stop it. Recovered glandes I slung again an again, until I could find no one of them due to dusk.

I'm very happy because today, first time I noticed that I'm able to sling a granite stone (used them for warm-up) over 400 m!

Happy Jurek

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 10:28pm

Today I slung the lead glandes on the runway again. Their "injuries" were similar. They didn't bounced far from the impacts points. All ones mostly had the one wide flattering and a few (some 1 or 2) smal razures or bruises. Looks like they "sticks" to the concrete. The surface of the big flat distorsion of some glandes had marks of frication, but some of them were only crushed,  had a texture of the concrete (I think it was glades that I slung more high). I was amazed because one of the glandes didn't lose the paint cover, even the flattered surface has kept the paint but that one was darkened from the high temperature.  Looks like it had sat and stayed in the impact point 

It was really nice slinging, couldn't stop it. Recovered glandes I slung again an again, until I could find no one of them due to dusk. 

I'm very happy because today, first time I noticed that I'm able to sling a granite stone (used them for warm-up) over 400 m!

Happy Jurek 

Jurek,
That is just incredible, four hundred meters with a rock!!
Using a long sling like you do, is more than one revolution required to get up to speed?
Is wind a factor when you are slinging, or is your area fairly calm?
Oscar

IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 5:11am

400m with a granite stone ?  Shocked With what slinging technique did you manage to do that ?
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2004 at 7:13am by krippp »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 10:50am

Quote:
That is just incredible...

Oscar I know... few mounths ago I thought the same, until I had seen Larry Bray's result from the 1982 year - 437 m.

Most often I make the single initial revolution (sometimes the more, but it doesn't seem to be a big factor) and next the springy lash. Sometimes I use the overhand throw and sometimes more lateral, I'm not decided which of them is more efficient for me, seem to work similar. Yesterday I was slinging not long before the dusk and the wind had calm down after the windy and rather rainy day, so I heard almost the all knocks.

Consider I declared to take the try beating the GW Record this year so I simply must to reach similar ranges Wink No retreat way Smiley

A long sling is more difficult for the efficient manage. If one haven't a practice with it, most probably is able to get better results with a shorter one.

Maybe it is incredible, or not. Anyway I have decide to share it here. There isn't any better place for doing it, right? Besides, maybe somewhere there is a guy who thinks - Only 400?! That is  poorly! - Who knows Wink

Jurek
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2004 at 11:51am by Yurek »  

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 1:27pm

Quote:
Consider I declared to take the try beating the GW Record this year so I simply must to reach similar ranges Wink

I will hold my thoumbs hard for you, Jurek!!!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 4:13pm

Thank you Ulrica!

Your words make me twice happy!

Jurek

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 2:06am

Congratulations, Yurek!  I see you are determined to beat the Guiness record this year. IŽd like to see your training and advances there in Poland as a member of your actual support team  Grin, but one have to be content with only a virtual observation and support. Give us details of your progress, technique, etc. It will be nice to share your experiences and encourage you  Cheesy

Are the lead glandes finally permitted like projectiles?

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #29 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 5:00pm

Thank you Hondero too. I would be honoured having you as guest and adviser in my home Smiley I have to struggle with my mistakes alone, so all advises are welcomed. But there is a problem with the virtual observation, because I haven't suitable hardware for making digital movies, while we all know that a picture says more than thousands words, especially in my awkward english. I desribed my technique sometime, but no desription can deliver all niuanses, what is even not easy in own native language. I think that I have a bit modified and improved that one and additionally started to use more underhand one during last mounths.

I'm presuming that since David Engval used the lead darts so lead glandes should be premissible with no problems.

When I make the official try I will got some movies and pictures and then will share it.

Jurek

the support team... ehh... old good times Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)