Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More than good news... (Read 5899 times)
friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
More than good news...
Jul 1st, 2004 at 1:09am

Smiley Smiley SmileyHi folks!
I know I've sent you only a few messages, actually I prefer just to read rather than write, but now I must give you good news...
I think I've mentioned somewhere here, when I joined this list, that I've been in regular contact with the Balearic Island Sling Federation. I've received  pretty good material from them, and  I bought a sling made there... (it was my first one).
Well, now I must tell you that Mr. Mateu Caņellas, Director of the Federation, has received the direction of slinging.org, as he wants to visit the web page... AND CONTACT THE SLINGERS!!!. Mr. Mateu Caņellas is a kind person, and does nice job, together with other Federation members, preserving and divulgating the sling as a sport... They produce  fine written material, did a nice video (unfortunately it is not available by now)and teach a lot of children how to use the slings there...
for us who are interested in the sling also as a sport, he can teach us a lot...
I hope this will be the beginning of a good friendship between all the sling lovers from around the world represented here, and the spanish one's. Wink
Bye.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: More than good news...
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 6:03am

Good work Friebejr!
Hope he can share alot of information!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 6:10am

Sounds Great

Do you have an email address for Mateu?

Did he say when he might show up on the forum? We would probably swamp him with mucho questions Grin

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 8:40am

What is the written material? Is it a magazine of some sort? This would be cool if it was.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 7:02pm

Does Mateu speak English?

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 11:16pm

I don't know when he will visit us here on the web. We have been in contact several times, and I send the messages to the Federation e-mail direction.
David, I'am almost sure he knows english language, but if he doesn't know, a lot of people from the Federation do, both because there is a section on their web page written in english, and  because the majority of people from Europe I had been in contact - and I knew a lot, as I had worked as a  tourism guide and on a hotel ( more than 13 years ago, now I am 37 and work as a teacher and pre-school educator) - knew some english. In "latin countries" (Italy, Spain, France, Brasil etc) it is very common for us to study english, as it is still the "universal language". I have several friends from Spain, and the majority of them understand english language.
When I watched their video, I noticed that the majority - f not all - of the slingers used to throw overarm. I haven't been able to do this throw as I would like to. I use to throw underarm, with my left foot behind (I am left handed ), and when  I let the stones/ball tennis (I use to train with both of them) go, I move the left feet forward and complete the throw. I have been trying hard to use their way of throwing, which is showed several times in the film, as it seems easier, you must see how easy some children throw it, and they were beginners... I think my way of throw implicates in much effort, and I believe " the best throw is the one you use less strenght ". As I use to focus on target training, I loof for accuracy instead of trying to throw for distance... obviously I think both are nice as sport (the Balearic Federation has both), but I  prefer training this way...
Sorry for the english, as I write more, I'll make more mistakes... I hope you can understand me!!!
I don't know if there are other member here from Rio de Janeiro (the city where I live), but it is not easy to find appropriate places to practise it here... I leave inCopacabana, two blocks distant from Copacabana beach, but when I parctise I must do it after 11:00 PM and use tennis balls, I will begin to practise indoors, as I spend a lot of time searching for apprpriate places to practise it outdoors (you know, football - soccer in USA - is very popular here, and  in the open areas which are used for leisure purposes people use to play it...

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 11:20pm

Embarrassed EmbarrassedHi, folks, here am I again...
Sorry, I should have read the message again before post it, as I have "eaten" some letters, maybe I'am hungry, I'll have a snack...  Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 4:56pm

We sure would love to get that slinging video you mentioned! Take a look at the "Articles" section of this site. I made a post of 3-4 different slinging styles. Do any of them look familiar?

David Taylor

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 1:03am

I've just arrived from my girlfriend's home, where I had dinner after two hours slinging at a beautiful place here in Rio... so, today, I will not "eat" letters, as I'm hungry no more...
David: I had watched your videos before, but today I watched them carefully, and the first thing I must say is that the way of slinging you showed at numbers 1,2 and 3  sounded really great to me. I think it is a very didatic video, and maybe I'll try tomorrow. You know, a lot of people has been asking questions to me about slinging, as I use to do it in open places (today I played on a concrete tennis court, It has some kind of metal protection around it, so it will not hurt people and in this places I use tennis balls) , and people get curious about it; I always give them some information, but I don't feel myself ready to teach nobody yet. If they try this throws you showed, it will be much easy for them to learn... really interesting, simple movements and great result.
The throws 4 and 5 are similar to the way I sling.
The way showed in the spanish video is different from these. I tried to watch the video again a few minutes ago, in order to describe it the better I can, but my video is out of order; I remember that the majority of people sling overarm, they also do some rotation with the wist, and it is easy - and surprising - to see how they do the "final whip action" without much effort. I get really curious about how to do it, up to know I could not do it correctly, I have great difficult to sling overarm, as the ball/stone goes almost directly to the floor just some meters away... I thought about a lot of things I could have been doing wrongly, from too short or too long slings, not doing the "whip" laterally etc... but, up to know...
A good new is that Mr. Mateu told me they are working on a new video, more didatic (this one will be probably excellent, as the one I have is great). The one I have is spoken in catalan/balear language, so I couldn't understand a lot of what they say, but it was really one
of that cases when "pictures paints a thousand words", the images are really good. Let's  wait for it to be ready... I hope they will sell it.
Someone asked me about written material: I have received one book, a divulgation brochure, and a book of rules written in catalan/balear/spanish.  On their web page, that is listed at slinging.org web page under the name "tir de fona", as I can remember, there are also some photographs you could check.
Gun: The "slinging super squirrel' is really nice and fun...
At the Balearic Championships they throw for accuracy from distances of 15,30,45,60 and 90 paces, at a 1,2m. square with a smaller round target of 50 cm. diameter. I just remember people use other meisurement unit in USA, so please do the conversion, 1'' is equivalent to 2,54 cm and one foot is 30,48 cm. Their "pace" used in the championship is equivalent to 65cm. each.
One very important thing I noticed is that in the competition holded in Balearic Islands, the slings MUST be made of material from vegetal origin(sisal, hemp etc.) or animal origin (leather, for example), but not of sinthetic material.
I hope these information helps.

IP Logged

Vicente

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 1:41am

Hello David_T

Yau can send messages for Mateu to this address federacio@tirdefona.com
The messages sent to this address fedaracio@tirdefona.com on Wednesdays are only read, for that reason maybe it delays some days the answer
You can also write to me (vicente@tirdefona.com), I am member of the Federacio Balear Tir de Fona. 
I apologize because I don't speak correctly in English

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
Sounds Great

Do you have an email address for Mateu?

Did he say when he might show up on the forum? We would probably swamp him with mucho questions Grin

IP Logged

Vicente

Re: More than good news...Vicente
Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 1:46am

Yes, Mateu speaks a little in English, for sure you will have answer to its questions.

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
Does Mateu speak English?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 12:41pm

I am not sure the addresses still work, this is an old post, but since we are talking about an international slinging organisation I thought it was worth bringing up again.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 2:11pm

The web site for the FBTF:

The email address should still work. Lots of info on the Belaric site for those who haven't read it. Well worth an hour or so!

Matthias

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)