Send Topic Print
What is a sling? (Read 17348 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Re: What is a sling?
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 7:33am

Benvingut al Forum, Vicente!!!

It is great to have you among us. I can't wait to start learning new things about slinging from you.

Un foner valencià!!!!

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 7:53am

Thanks Vicente
I've visited tirdefona.com  yesterday and it's a cool site with very nice info.  i realized i've made my last slings the way it shows on the how to make a sling instructions , though i don't understand some mallorquin words. My last slings are of nylon so they are not suitable for competition, but  personally i find nylon extreme wear resistant.
Feel free to send me the .pdf files in spanish,  i'll try to translate them into english  the best i can, it would be nice someone else could check  the translation cause i'm not a pro. and my english is more computer related. (my FCE teacher said i have an awful internet accent)

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 7:59am

Doh!
Silly me i forgot to give my e-mail addy Tongue
freemartini@yahoo.es
anyway i'll make it un-hidden in my profile

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 11:24am

Appreciated David, 

I have been commenting with my colleagues in the federation the topic of the distance that how you comment about Mr. Larry Bray with a launching to more than 1400 feet, and that it seems to be this entered one in book Guiness. 

In this respect my colleagues they are as incredulous as me, we cannot understand how a person with a leather sling and throwing a stone of 2.5oz can  reach this distance, do you know what 1400 feet of distance are (more than 400 meters)??, is a lot of distance!   

As for sending them a video, I will look at the possibilities and I will already inform him, leave me some days to discover if it is possible

Greetings,
Vicente

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 11:45am

The Balearic slingers participated in to the cultural olympiad of Barcelona, celebrated 15 days before beginning the olympic games   
The demonstration was made according to the rules specified in our regulation

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
well i really dont know now i found a website
here is what it says and ill give u the link

(I came across an article which dealt with lead sling bullets, being tested by "expert" modern-day Balearic slingers. Some of these competed in the Barcelona Olympics. The tests used two lengths of string, which the article simply calls “long” and “short”. The long string achieved a better range: 15 metres more, or 20 more with an expert slinger. Stones did not go nearly as far as lead bullets. They have much greater surface area and much greater drag, for the same weight. 80 to 90 metres seems to be the furthest anyone can get a stone. With lead bullets slung at a concrete wall 120 metres away, the sling is said to make an impressive “impression” and make a lot of noise. The average ranges achieved for lead bullets were 112m for bullets between 20 and 40g weight, 121.8m for those 40-60g, 132m 60-80g, and 142.6m for those 80-90g. This is an increase of 10m in reach for every additional 20g. The most commonly used weights were from 60g to 80g. There was a limit of around 100g depending on the strength and arm length of the slinger. I do not find these figures very impressive)

here is the link
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.lloyd/weapons/sling2.html

......KNIGHT......

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:03pm

Hola Foner,

Gracies per la benvinguda, espero participar activament en el fòrum, faig un gran esforç per a fer-lo en anglès, ja que no ho domino en absolut

I apologize for this paragraph written in my maternal language

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:

It is great to have you among us. I can't wait to start learning new things about slinging from you.

Un foner valencià!!!!

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:24pm

Hola Foner,

Gracies per la benvinguda, espero participar activament en el fòrum, faig un gran esforç per a fer-lo en anglès, ja que no ho domino en absolut

I apologize for this paragraph written in my maternal language

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:

Un foner valencià!!!!

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:54pm

Assume,  I must, that Vicente is craftily challenging one of us!   I agree with Jeff,  it is probable that their slinging style is a limiting factor.   I am sure that Vicente is cognizant of the stringent requirements for the Guiness book.  This awareness should, at least, allay a portion of his incredulity.  

Seriously,  the sling as a vehicle for the amplification, by dynamic leverage, of angular momentum in a ballistic delivery system...... is easily capable of doubling the range one can achieve unaided by use of one's throwing arm.  Given that many of us here can throw a rock the length of a football field,  two with a sling is easily achievable.  I am equally incredulous that your record in competition is only 600ft.  

Color me dumfounded.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2004 at 1:35pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 1:58pm

LOL

TechStuf your perverse post has made me amused. You are unbeliver too but a bit different kind. I think you have the right to your doubts, the same like Vicente and some guys to theirs.

But I belive Vicente about the Balearian records, despite my experiences, because my philosophy is to not question others' statments in public, if I can't prove that they are fibbing.

Some time ago people was convinced that the Earth is flat,  though they saw she in this shape every day for centuries Wink
No offence intended but I can't restrain myself in situation when my words are so easy changed into a blague.

Jurek

PS. TechStuf you might have right, the Vicente's post might be a challenge Wink

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 3:32pm

Not sure you mean to use the word 'perverse'?   Are you referencing my 'Vasectomy' post?  Also,  I do not question at all the Balearian records.  Nowhere to my knowledge, have I at all expressed disbelief, nor intended such, in the figures expressed by Vicente.....I only question which causal factor(s) make their distances so....to be frank, short.   I can make no apology for my speech and try....(usually) to avoid obscure slang terms for the benefit of those who rely on language translation software.......although I tend to agree with Matthias.  As for your philosophy of not questioning other's statements in public....perhaps I can learn from you.  Although a very small slice of the general public gathered here for our purposes may be considered private enough to some devotees.   Nothing like open debate to stimulate one's self educative efforts.  

Considering that Vicente began by practically asserting that Chris' figures were outright lies by his direct inferences......I took it easy on him.  No where do I assert that it is 'practically impossible' for the balearians to reach 'only' 600ft.   It is just that I am puzzled that one of their own referees would think it unfathomable to reach our own recorded distances and speeds.   It is simply a difference in perspective expressed problematically.   I am sure that it was most likely a translational error and that Vicente was not really inferring that Chris was doctoring his figures by use of the term 'impossible'.    My lack of civility aside,  I still do find something quite amiss that my 12yr old son can sling within 100 feet of their record distance......Vicente, care to divulge the slinging style responsible for the record distance of 600ft?  

I have to admit,  I don't know how much is being garbled through the translator.....obviously enough to strain comprehensive limits.  

My apologies

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 4:26pm

When I was taking martial arts, I once got conflicting advice from 2 masters.  One said you can't be both fast and powerful, the other said speed creates power.  I was horribly confused for a long time, but it turns out they're both right.  The fastest techniqes (those that can be delivered quickly, with no 'set up,' by striking tools closest to their targets) are the least powerful, but any given technique can be made more powerful by speeding it up.  They were just approaching the subject from different angles.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like Vicente is quite experienced with a particular type of slinging, with regulated sling types and a particular type of ammunition, both no doubt decided upon based on years (centuries?) of trial and error for the best combination of accuracy, power, and distance.  I know that many on this forum (including myself) are experimenting with all manner of sizes, shapes, and styles of both sling and ammunition.  One of the world-records I've seen here used a missile that looked more like a lawn dart than a rock!  My personal experience is more in line with Vicente's than Yurek's.  Then again, I haven't been using lead glandes with dimples for aerodynamics, extra-long (by my standards) slings, or space-age materials (I'm also lacking Yurek's powerful throwing arm Wink Smiley). 

Sorry to be long winded.  My basic point is that I don't see why the points of view expressed here have to be considered opposing.  I think 500 feet is a terrific distance with a basic sling and a rock.  I also think the distances recorded in the Guinness book of world records should be achievable by an exceptional slinger with specialized equipment.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 5:36pm

Welcome/Bienvenido Vicente!!, finally we have a genuine Balearic slinger in the forum Wink, where as you will see there are very qualified people on the diverse aspects of the sling: Among them two Guiness record of distance and maybe someone more in the future. In spite of my admiration and friendship by the Balearic slingers, I must recognize that the reputation of being the best slingers in the world that they had in ancient times seems to have been lost, although you continue having the title of being the first, and perhaps the only, cohesive group of excellent slingers of the world.
And indeed that distance record of yours has been surpassed widely throughout the years. Larry Bray, as has been said, has registered a range of about 435 meters with a stone of 52 grams and David Engeval, present Guiness, a reach of 477 meters with a special projectile of 62 grams. From my point of view the slings you use, of which I have a pair of them, are adapted for great stones, following the ancient Balearic tradition, and also the projectiles that you use are too heavy. A lighter projectile, sent by  a sling of thin cords and a small leather pouch, almost only as large as the projectile, has many advantages in front of your braided slings of sisal or esparto, with these splited pouches, too long to house a small projectile. Although I don´t know the exact characteristics of the sling and projectile of your champion of distance, and would be interesting to know it first to judge with better criterion.
But the fact is that even with heavy projectiles, Melvin Gaylor, Guiness of 1970, reached the distance 354 meters with a stone of 225 grams, surpassing widely your record.
And more on the subject, there are some interesting ethnologycal references about in our country, like this by Vicente Elías in his book "Sobre cultura pastoril", corresponding to the testimony of a shepherd of the region of "Els Ports de Morella", at the beginning of the XX century, in which he says that a skilful slinger could stop a escaping sheep to 400 or 500 meters. In spite of the vague quote, it reflects clearly that these distances could be reached by the expert shepherds.

En fin tío, que a mi también me parece imposible lanzar a esas distancias y yo nunca lo he conseguido, pero habrá que rendirse a la evidencia.
Bienvenido otra vez y me alegro de verdad que te quedes por el foro  Cheesy.

Hondero (de la meseta castellana)

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 5:47pm

TechStuf,

Quote:
Not sure you mean to use the word 'perverse'?   Are you referencing my 'Vasectomy' post?

Excuse me that I used that word ('perverse'), used them misguidedly.

Your last words...

Quote:
I am equally incredulous that your record in competition is only 600ft.    

Color me dumfounded.

...I have taken as subtle ironical (it seems be much more suitable), somethig like that: "once one can't believe that others reach so long distances, because his experiences are different, then I don't
believe that they reach so... "small" ranges, because my experieces say something different." I hope you understand, I can't exlplain it better. Maybe it is my misinterpretation prompted by my
pulled a bit ego Smiley

As I said before I'm not going to offend anybody. I think the common passion should connect people but not divide. My post was intended rather as facetious than malicious.

Quote:
...Although a very small slice of the general public gathered here for our purposes may be considered private enough to some devotees.   Nothing like open debate to stimulate one's self educative efforts....

Yaeh, you are right, good debate is hot debate Wink

Jurek, who still believes in the "unbelievable" ranges Cheesy

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 6:34pm

I understand the misunderstanding, Yurek.   Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 9:19pm

Well stated Hondero!

Techstuff--you have a way with words Grin I am amazed that you have the self controll you have demonstrated after reading your first post. Even this mild mannered moderator was bitting his tongue at the continued incredulity of our Spanish friend.

Vicente, I slung my first stone in August of last year. I played baseball for many years (Outfield) so I have, or should I say, had a strong arm back then. I am now just turned 50 and 2 months after my first use of a sling, I slung a concrete ball that I made, by using  a tennis ball as a mold, about 450 feet.  It weighed 5.8 ounces.

I believe what you say but purhaps the regulations you have on your slings are the problem. I can understand keeping to a traditional standard if that is the goal; however, if we are simply trying for a record, I think if someone can braid a hemp or leather sling and pick out a nice stone made by God and sling it, that is good enough for me to qualify. Personally, I dont like the dart with fletching as far as qualifying for a stone. But it is still a record for someone to try and beat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)