Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hebrew slinger 1000B.C. (Read 21498 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Hebrew slinger 1000B.C.
Reply #15 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 6:02am

We have so many people on this website that have skills, knowledge and talent, that it would be a waste if we don't put something together!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 6:40am

I forgot to ask our Spanish sling friends:

Did any of you run with the bulls on Wednesday?
No one got trampled or gored I hope!

Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 6:56am

Hey Johnny,

No, I didn't go to Pamplona to run with the bulls (I had to work), but I think they will do it again everyday of this week. So you're still in time to come to Spain and run with the bulls. Would you?
Let's see if Hondero has gone.

Foner

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:34am

Foner
I hope to visit Spain one day, but I can't come this week!!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:37am

Yes, I imagine you can't come this week. What I meant is if you would dare to run with the bulls.

Foner

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:54am

Foner
I don't think so!
Having permanent hoof prints on my back is not very appealing!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 8:08am

Quote:
Hey Johnny,

No, I didn't go to Pamplona to run with the bulls (I had to work), but I think they will do it again everyday of this week. So you're still in time to come to Spain and run with the bulls. Would you?
Let's see if Hondero has gone.

Foner

No, I have not gone to Pamplona either. I have much precaution with the bulls Shocked, as is necessary to be familiarized with them to run ahead. Perhaps with a sling I´d dear to face them... Angry

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 8:19am

Hondero,
Here is a basic outline:

ANCIENT SLINGER
   1.Prehistory
   2.Biblical(Hebrew)
   3.Assyrian
   4.Greek
   5.Roman
   6.Balearic
   7.Various(Celtic,German, etc...)

MEDIEVAL AND MODERN
   1.Saxon,Norman,Arab
   2.Aztec,Inca,
   3.Palestinian

THE SLING AND PROJECTILES
   1.Anatomy of the sling
   2.Stones, lead, ceramic
   3.Darts(cestrosphendon)

SLING MECHANICS
   1.Overhand hurl
   2.Underhand hurl
   3.Horizontal hurl

MAKING A SLING
MAKING PROJECTILES
FINDING PROJECTILES

What do you think about this basic outline?
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #23 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:44am

Johnny and enthusiastic collaborators, it´s a pleasure to see you encouraged to undertake so hard and extensive task, although exciting. I had thought about something shorter, just an illustrated historical summary of the sling, similar in extension to publications of Osprey, but with an extensive illustrated content on the basis of your drawings. We live in a time where the image is essential and has as much importance as the text, at least at the time of selling the book.

But if you guys are encouraged to begin a great Encyclopedia of the sling, I already started this way some years ago and maybe we can  continue the work from what I have done: they are 250 pages of text and pictures in DINA4 format that include history(mainly), physics, learning and training, construction, etc. They can be extended and enriched with yours good illustrations, Johnny, more historical references from countries in which I have not deepened too much, like some of Europe, America and Asia, and with studies in depth of dynamics (Yurek would be a good collaborator and perhaps others also), and techniques of construction and braiding (I´m thinking in Ben, who is missing, and others).  The Encyclopedia would be a great book, of 500 pages or more, plenty of illustrations and photographies. Another thing would be the high cost of edition and its commercial succes (there are not too many fans of the sling in the world).
In fact I´m having many difficulties to publish my sling books in Spain and finally I will do it to my expenses, possibly in an cheap edition and with images in black and white. But although one does not expect to earn one euro (or dollar), the satisfaction of well done work and the diffusion of the knowledge of the sling compensates the effort.

Your index is good, enough similar to the one of my books. I am going to translate my index to English and to post it.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2004 at 4:49pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 12:00pm

Hondero
Great!
If you want to get an English text, just a small sample, to me, I'll start on some illustrations. In the mean time, I will get all of my illustrations scanned for review. Look for a color illustration on this site.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #25 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 12:47pm

You guys (we guys?) need a WIKI. I bet Chris needs a wiki like he needs a sling stone to the kneecap... but it would really be the way to go for trans-oceanic collaborative work like this. Johnny's outline post would then instantly become the working document, and collaborators could edit or make additions as thing progress (for instance, the sling braiders/reconstructors among us would like to see more emphasis placed on the "making sections Grin ) There is so much info already contained in the forums that the inital population would go pretty quickly.

I don't think there are any drop-in wikis for YABB, but they should co-exist reasonably.

Matthias

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #26 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 2:17pm

Hi Johnny,

A commendable project - and something worthy of your amazing artistic talents!! I was recently considering doing my Masters degree in the history of the sling in the Mediterranean area (I have a degree in Ancient History), so would definately have an eye on that particular topic Smiley

BTW: I've written four books so far on obscure historical subjects (mainly cults, assassins and secret societies...!) under my RL name Paul Elliott.

I think Hondero is right - a shorter more concise book on the history would better be served by your illustrations and suit the market also.

That said, I would like to postulate a shorter, different index:

1.Introduction - What is the sling? Why was it used, etc? Use in prehistory. Evidence?
   2.Biblical (Assyrian/Babylonian/Hebrew/Arab/Egyptian)
   3.Greek & Rhodian etc. plus cestros
   4.Roman & Balaeric
   5.Byzantine slings & Staff Sling
   6.Barbarian Slingers (Celtic, Dacian, German, etc)
   7. Construction methods with modern recreations of slings and bullets. What about photos of modern re-enactors! I'm teetering on the edge of getting together a Greek slingers costume complete with high boots, sunhat, tunic, stone pouch and maybe chalmys (travelling cloak).

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 2:27pm

Mithras
I think your index is great!
I forgot about the staff sling! Good thinking!
What about this being an Osprey Warrior Series book? They seem to be open for new subjects. I've done some illustrations for Osprey and they seem to be a nice, good group to work with.
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 2:36pm

We could just refine that index a little and pad each section out with content, enough to give a good idea about each section. I'd love to approach Osprey via e-mail with the tentative proposal Smiley They'll most likely want to see a fully worked up MS before they give the go ahead, though. But what the heck - that would be a very nice autumn project!

What do you think?

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #29 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 2:49pm

I don't see why we can't get several book ideas in the works. I think something for Osprey and something different. Are you familiar with the "Bowyers Bible" series? A large group of archers/bowyers got together and wrote different chapters on how to build bows, arrows, strings, etc.... I would like to see a book like that about slinging. Something where folks on this website could contribute.
Any thoughts?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)