Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hebrew slinger 1000B.C. (Read 21499 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Hebrew slinger 1000B.C.
Jul 6th, 2004 at 10:56am

Here is a color sketch I did several years ago.
A left-handed Hebrew slinger of the tribe of Benjamin. You can read about them in the Bible under these verses: Judges 20:16, 1 Chronicles 12:2

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Hebrew slinger 1000B.C.
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 12:42pm

...you're one talented guy with these drawings, Johnny!   Hooray for (us) lefties   Grin   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 5:33pm

Johnny, thanks for the next very nice picture to the collection. Keep posting them. Have you own wesite?

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 3:26am

Nice picture!!! But, isn't the sling a little bit short?

Foner

IP Logged

zeluiz
Tiro

Once slinger, always slinger

Porto Alegre
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 6:05am

Very Nice illustration!!
But I also think that the sling is a little bit short.

Aquele abraço!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 9:18am

The sling is a little short.

Yurek
I don't have a website, maybe in the future.

Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 11:11am

The sling's not much shorter than what I'm learning to prefer.  Nwmanitou's figure-8 style is easier with the shorter sling, but just as powerful as shots from the longer sling.  Maybe your guy's just waiting for the bad guys to get close enough for the shorter, more accurate sling to be effective.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 12:44pm

I think too that the sling is right in length for an accuracy slinger as left handed Hebrews were. Nice drawing. Have you thought to put together in a book the drawings and the historical text about? Do you want a collaborator?  Grin

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 1:47pm

Hondero
If I could get some help, or a writer in general, I would love to put together a book on slinging. I think it would be a good seller, for there is nothing out on the market today on sling-making, sling history, etc....
I have many illustrations, and more to come, that would make a colorful and interesting book. What do we need to do to get started? Any takers?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 5:38pm

Good!, Cheesy  I could takecharge of the text. In fact it can easily be extracted from my book "Historia de la Honda", adapting the text to the new approach and perhaps limiting it to the part of old and medieval history, that I think is the most interesting. Other aspect would be the work of research on apparel and auxiliary weapons, etc, to make a trustworthy reconstruction of the slingers and the epoch. I think that this research of historical reconstruction could be done by both of us, investigating texts and analyzing illustrations of other authors. We would review the illustrations you have made before to adapt them, if necessary, to a particular text. Perhaps the book could include 30 or 40 illustrations and I would make a first version of the text in English and you would be in charge, directly or through another one, of its correction and adaptation to English style (my English, you know, is not good enough for direct publishing).
In order to publish the book( in English at first, and aftewards to others languages  Grin) it would be necessary  to find a publisher, but first of all we have to make a part of the book that serves like example to show to the publisher. We could begin working on particular historical passages and to go thus letting grow the book little by little.

When do we began? What about a title like "The sling, a historical weapon" or something like that?

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 6:33pm

Hondero
I think you are right on!
I've got several people that could help you on the English text. Like you said, we need to get a sample chapter together with illlustrations and make a presentation to a publishing firm. I'll be looking at several publishing firms here in the states. Do you have some ideas on a sample topic (Balearic slingers?Greek slingers?)? I have an outline that I would like for you to see. I'll post it tomorrow.
Let me know what you think!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 6:44pm

I been thinking of doing a short "Quick-Start To Slinging" write-up to get (almost) anybody started slinging as quickly, and with as few false starts as possible.    Safely, too, with tennis-ball practice and slinging gear, and vertical underhand spin.  Maybe an appendix for nwmanitou's overhand as an advanced form.   Any interest??

ALSO, I'm a technical editor with a deadly eye for misspellings unneeded words and cumbersome literary constructions.   Emphasis on technical editor.    Any interest??

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 7:22pm

Maybe I could add some chapter about physics of a sling. A bit of theory could make  the book more compherehensive. I have some own reflections and experiences on this matter. It would be great to create a group book about slinging.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 9:48pm

I have no problem with everyone contributing!! The more the merrier! I just think we need to put something down in print that will help folks now and in future generations. Lets face it, most of us are self taught in the art of sling making and slinging. We need to share all the information that we have learned to help the next generation of slingers. This website has been a tremendous help and a wonderful storehouse of information. Also, I appreciate all of Chris' efforts. I've always wanted to do a book that has alot of illustrations and photos. More than a website would allow.
Any thoughts?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 4:33am

It sounds to me like THE GREAT ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SLING. It would be like the summary of all the knowledge that humanity has till now about sling and slinging, just like the French did with the first encyclopedias during the Age of the Enlightenment.
As a journalist, I think I could help, at least in the writing and the structuring of the text.

By the way, I would like to propose the creation in this web page of committees or work groups on different topics related with slinging: history, technology (materials, etc.), literature, etc. They would work as research group investigating topics and elaborating papers that would be publish in the web. It would be a way of systematize the work that we already make here and to strengthen the cooperation.

Well, it is just an idea.

Foner.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)