Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Practice ranges for slinging are in your town! (Read 8611 times)
Jim Craft

Practice ranges for slinging are in your town!
Jun 20th, 2004 at 7:55pm

I want to thank those who have contributed material on slinging on slinging.org and for the sling sent after my contribution to the website.

I wanted to pass on the results of a successful experiment.

Next month, I will be teaching at the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for IT (top high school students from around the state).  I will be surprising the students by teaching the class in a first century AD Legionnaire impression.  The students will learn a little about the information networks of the Roman Republic and Empire and the other technology that they used (along with discussion of the impact on technological change on society and the importance personal discipline and civic responsibility).

One item that I will use as an example in the class will be the Roman sling.  I hope to make a sling of proper materials ready for the class.   The Romans often had the Legionnaires learn the sling and carry it as an auxillary weapon (they also used professional slingers as auxillary troops).

I don't like to teach what I don't have direct experience with.  So, in preparation for this class, I took the sling that I received from slinging.org (parachute cord and leather) and contacted a local golf driving range.  They agreed to let me practice with the sling (it was a slow day).  I bought a large bucket ($6) of balls and took the farthest left hand lane.  There was no parking or people directly to the rear or to the side of me. 

I then tried the sling for about three fourths of the bucket (about 60 balls) until I ran out of time (and my arm began to tire).  This was great fun, though I am a wretched shot.  The balls went about 70 - 80 yards underhand and about fifty overhand (with great driving force into the ground).  I intend to try this again and believe that I will get better with practice.  Like instinctive bow shooting, the secret is likely to be many, many shots and going with the natural flow.

If you all are interested in learning the art of the sling, a golf driving might be the best, safest place to do so.  You don't even have to collect the ammunition. 

In the future, I may even try this in the Roman lorica segmentata and helment.  Though I am more interested in bagging squirrels in hunting season a few years from now.

E-mail me directly with any comments, I don't have the opportunity to monitor this list.

Regards,

Jim Craft

Wink

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Practice ranges for slinging are in your town!
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 6:22pm

This is a great idea.  Sometimes your local Putt Putt will have a driving range and you can take the kiddos for a quite game of Putt Putt after you tire out from slinging.

Just remember, golf balls are on the light side.  Consequently, you can throw your shoulder out and hurt your elbow more easily.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

A. M. Taylor

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 9:23pm

I'm surprised... with the slings I've used, and the technique I've learned... I can now reliably put golfball size/weight objects well in excess of 200 yards down range.   Golfballs, when supplied with the proper back-spin, create their own lift, and have slightly increased range, despite their lighter weight.  I've got three different slings.. all of them completely constructed of leather and artificial sinew.   All of them function well enough to send golf-balls out of sight down range.  I've won several bets as to whether or not I could throw a rock across the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, and the Green River near Moab Utah.  Each place where I won those bets looked to be about 150+ yards wide.      I'm curious, is 50-80 yards the considered maximum effective range of slung projectiles?

Regards,

A. M. Taylor

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 9:52pm

Good evening, A. M.,

The effective range of a sling is considered to be between 6 feet and 1,200 feet for general purposes.  For the average slinger with a fair amount of practice using an appropriate technique, a sling of adequate length and proper weight stones, a reasonable effective range would be something under 200 yards, I think.

Your prowess with the sling may be a bit above average, but not out of reach for anyone who can get in enough practice.

As for golf balls:  you are certainly getting good distance with them.  To achieve the necessary back spin also means that you are probably using an overhand style (or at least release).  Most folks have trouble getting the kinds of range you describe with the over hand.

I have thrown stones in excess of 150 yards, but only with the under hand style.  To try for distance over hand almost tears my shoulder apart.

Please tell us more about your technique. 

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

A. M. Taylor

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 11:02pm

My technique appears to be the very same one that Nwmanitou uses in his video.   I was ALSO taught in person by someone who had been taught by his father, etcetera. 

It seems to be most commonly called the 'figure-8' style... where the pocket starts in the front, held by your weak-hand, with the loop and release strings held in your strong hand... the pocket is released, allowed to fall slightly downwards while being drawn backwards, and then upwards after it passes your calves, traveling in an inverted arch until it reaches about waist level, from which the pocket is drawn out and away from your torso (bending the axis of the arc outwards) until the pocket is traveling nearly parallel to the ground in front of you at about the heighth of your head.  This is where the "whip" is applied.   Nwmanitou's video does justice to this technique when my words fall short.   

When practiced, this technique will indeed allow you to achieve thrown-ranges in excess of 150+ yards with not much effort.  Imagine keeping a sling mixed in among your collection of golf clubs for your next trip down to the club house.   Par 5 courses are humbled to par 2, and never again will your caddy smirk at your technique... especially when you ask him to retrieve your golfball which was 'accidentally' embedded (by your deft use of a sling) in a tree 50 yards away.   

Regards,

A. M. Taylor

IP Logged

Adam_Bomb
Novicius

Testing...Testi ng...1,
2, 3, Testing...

DFW, TX
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 5:02pm

Adam Bomb = A. M. Taylor

Previously I had written that I would go to the driving range sometime and verify the ranges that are possible to throw golfballs.   

When I arrived there this afternoon... I asked if it would be alright if I could sling a few balls down range... and he replied that if I only wanted to sling 20 or 30... I could have a free bucket of balls.   

That was about all I had time for... and with the three instructors standing behind me, staring in disbelief, I dispatched about 10 golf balls out to about 250 yards.  The furthest reach of the golf course was about 300 yards... and the instructors agreed that I was regularly placing them about 50 yards from the fence. 

When I placed a good back-spin on the ball... It was relatively easy to reach that distance.    With a more aero-dynamic and heavier object to throw, I don't doubt that 320 yards is well within the range of a practiced slinger. 

Regards,

A. M. Taylor

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 11:15am

I've got a golf course within walking distance of my house.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 5:17pm

Hi Jim,

I am also a Roman re-enactor ... ave!

I was using sling making and slinging as a method of teaching basic skills to a 10  year old child at my school (where I work). We slung bean-bags Smiley One day we found a golf ball, much to my regret I decided to show off and sling it. Jeez - it flew! At least 100m! Rather than the 30m the beanbags were achieving.

Not as cool as stones, though.

BTW - why do you want to kill squirrels? I've NEVER seen a squirrel recipe? Do you use the skin or hide or something? I can't think of any other reason. Please explain ...  ???

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:09pm

Squirrels are yummy!!   When I was a kid, we'd get a couple with a .22.   Recipe is this.  

Skin & clean 'em.  Toss the skin, but save the tail to tie on your car radio antenna.   Cut the tail off with little tab of back skin (maybe 1"x 1") to make a loop that slips over the antenna.    Impresses chicks. Grin

Take the critters apart much like you would a whole frying chicken.   Keep "drumsticks" & thighs together because they're pretty small, etc.

Get a paper sack & put in it about 1/2cup of white flour & 1/2cup cornmeal, plus a half-teaspoon salt.   I like a lot of black pepper, too.   These amounts aren't critical.

Toss the squirrel pieces in the bag & shake til covered with the flour/cornmeal/etc mix.

Skillet fry in oil until done, then serve to your very appreciative friends.   Same recipe works for rabbit, and lots of other small game, including fish.   You can add other seasonings to the mix in the paper bag.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 5:52pm

I don't live in a town, I live in the city. Great slinging spots have been paved over and people have become so PC that I can't even sling into the swamp anymore.

The golf range is a great idea!

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 11:43pm

Indeed, squirrels are yummy. Squirrels and Rabbits make up some of the most popular small game to hunt, at least in the more rural areas of the US.

On that note, I got tired of just running on the treadmill for my daily workout today(my wife and I decided it was time to get back in shape, particularily for hiking later this summer). So I borrowed a raquet ball and volley ball from the office in our little apartment gym and proceed to "Kill da wabbit" (Elmer Fudd). The Volleyball was the rabbit  Grin. I bounced it around the raquetball court and slung the raquet ball at it. I was surprised at how many times I hit it even when it was on the move.  This always seems to happen when I'm "hunting." Even with my archery practice. I just imagine I'm stalking the target and the arrows seem to find the bulls eye. I think what's happening is that you quit thinking about your shot and concentrate more on your prey. At that point muscle memory and the part of your brain that instinctively aims takes over making the shot while the worrysome "I think my forms off, and what if I miss?" part of the brain is distracted.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 7:46pm

There is truth in that I'm sure. I have noticed that while target practicing. Sometimes when I don't think about aiming I do better. ts kind of like my golf game. The less I play the better I do. Too much thinking can be a hinderance.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 11:59am

I have seen plenty of recipes for squirrel.  I don't mean to be rude to anyone who does in fact eat squirrel, but they were in something called the "White Trash Cookbook".  Honestly.  I got it for my uncle as a birthday present.  It had everything you might imagine Elvis eating in it; basically, fried sweet things and roadkill.  It was intended as a joke, and so the recipes, although authentic and possible, were a bit... odd.  I have always thought squirrel might be nice in a soup or pie, just like rabbit.
Anyway, back to the thread....
There are no golf driving ranges anywhere near me.  The only one I have seen on this island was in Scotland.  A bit far to go just to sling stones.  Nice idea though.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 10:35pm

If you guys are interested in outdoor cook books, Try Buckshot's Modern Trapping Guide. The book tells you how to make every trap set imaginable, and tell how to cook what you trap. Everything from deer and squirrels to snapping turtles and beavers. Good book.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 11:25am

If I can pipe up, check out Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger, THE classic outdoor guide. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)