Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Practice ranges for slinging are in your town! (Read 8612 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Lol!
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 12:54pm

Quote:
So I borrowed a raquet ball and volley ball from the office in our little apartment gym and proceed to "Kill da wabbit" .

Does your raquetball court have windows?  Grin

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Re: Practice ranges for slinging are in your town!
Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 1:02pm

hehe, luckily no. Solid concrete all around, except for the door.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 2:27pm

Well we did it,

The other day my 11 year old son and I stopped by the driving range. I went up to the counter and said: " I'll bet nobody ever asked you to let them sling a bucket of golf balls?"  I showed him my slings and told him about some of you slinging golf balls 200-250 yards and that I wanted to try it. He said he was doubtful about slinging one that far, but said if we went to the far end and collected balls that were in the tall grass, we could sling for free since it would help him out.

We collected about 100 balls in 10 minutes and were ready to sling. As we walked by some people I held out my sling and anounced that I was going to try out my "new driver."

I had a 25 inch sling--braided cord of nylon with a 2 1/2' x 6" leather pouch and a 33" hemp braided cord with same size leather pouch.

I actually had the best distance using the shorter sling--probably due to the light weifgt golf ball and the extra drag of the longer sling cords.

They didn't have any markers beyond 200 yards. I am guessing that my longest shot may have been 250 and most of them at least 200yrds. My son was reaching 100yards.

I was using the overhand, no rotations style.

I think my arm needs a rest after throwing that many light weight  projectiles. I think I will make a very small pouch and try it again. I could almost feel the air drag on the pouch as I swung it around.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 9:55pm

David_T
    Loved your story. Did the guy come out to watch all this? Now if you can only get him to let you set up George the Roman at about 200 yds, things could get real interesting.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 1:45am

Wow David, we've got to get you slinging some engineered ammo to validate some of the physics we've been tossing around. If you can get a golf ball out to 250 yds, a simple 7/8" lead sphere shoud net you at least 375, which is nothing to sneer at! Do you think that the driving range guys would let you sling some of your own glandes? (although I don't suppose that it is long enough...)

What sort of range to you get with your concrete tennis balls?

In fact, if anyone else wants to chip in with data (anecdotal or otherwise) for ranges with different projectiles given their personal slinging style, I'd be very interested to tablulate the results. Lookin more for differences rather than absolute distances.

Matthias

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 10:05pm

The golf pro did watch a while, and like most people, he thought I could get more range by swinging the sling around real fast. I tried to explain but I don't think he caught on.

I did find that coming straight over my head and down as vertically as possible gave me the best range due to the back-spin it put on th e ball. They climbed as they went and were straight as an arrow. Using my long --33"--sling it was hard to come straight down with the follow through due to slapping the pouch on the ground. Any side arm motion put a lot of slice on the ball. --they curved to the right and greatly reduced the distance.

I have not slung any concrete tennis balls since last year. At that time, I was slinging them about 450 feet. I only paced them out so it is not a very accurate measurement. Hopefully, my arm is stronger now.

The concrete balls weighed out at 5.8 ounces. I really want to try making some lead glands.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)