Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on Anatomy of The Sling page on wiki (Read 2166 times)
nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Question on Anatomy of The Sling page on wiki
Jun 20th, 2006 at 7:17pm

Hello All,

Was reading the Anatomy of sling page and came across this detail.

Toggle: A handle for the sling instead of a retention loop I feel they increase energy and accuracy but they also allow you to only use the wide grip method

It may just be me but if you then look at the picture and labels you'll notice that the word toggle is used to identify the knot on the end of the release cord but the detail in the Toggle area says we are talking about the retention loop. So visualising this becomes a little hard as they are not the same piece of string/rope/cord.

Could I get a better explanation as this has confused me a bit. Is the toggle a handle for the retention cord or the release cord?

I can understand the release cord having one for heavier loads so you have a better grip but to replace the retention cord I have a pouch on the end of a string and nothing on the other end.

The rest of it is pretty straight forward and well written, just that entry makes it a bit foggy.

Thanks

Matt

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Question on Anatomy of The Sling page on wiki
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:11pm

Good catch nghtweave. The way we (don't you love being part of the "authourity" on such matters) normally use toggle is a small piece of wood/bone etc tied crosswise to the retention cord end and used for a secure grip on the sling. A rentention loop is a different animal doing the same job, and a release cord knot/tab is something else again. The picture shows a typical knotted-release sling. We'll need to edit the photo.

Feel free to make edits to the wiki where appropriate (and remember to sign your changes ~~~~). Everyone is encouraged to participate in the wiki process, whether contributing, editing, or just reading up on what we've added so far!

CanDo - I think mabe you upld'd the picture, you want to modify it?

Matthias
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2006 at 1:16am by Matthias »  

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:57pm

haha, whoops....

So perhaps I was a bit confused at the time. Thanks for the heads up....

I'll fix it tomorow Smiley

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 4:45am

Hi Guys,

That's cool, I don't mind. I was reading up on it for a reason so it's no real biggy.

I am currently doing a editors course anyway, so it probably helped me see it in the first place.

I will not promise anything as yet on the editing front but if I notice any other strange and interesting problems I'll let you know.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 1:23am

Hello again, nightweave,                                                
         "Doing an editor's course..." you say? I find that proofreading stuff that I wrote myself is the most difficult. There is always some obvious mistake ( usually a typographical error ) that is just "invisible" to me, even though ( or maybe because ) I wrote it myself!
                                                                                      .......Dan

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 5:03am

Hi Dan,

Yes that's quite normal, I am unable to proof read my own stuff most of the time. (Especially when I am being lazy.) The trick is to know what you're lazy at and stop being lazy about it. That and I recommend reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss for some good old grammar work.

Also remember to put your work down for a little while before reading or editing it,  that usually helps. If you're like me sometimes reading it backwards helps...

Ah just realised that I am babeling sorry about that. (See being lazy should really look up if I spelt babbling correctly. Sorry bad joke on my part.) I can do some of your proof reading if you like... there I go again volunteering for stuff again, I was taught in the Millitary never to do that.

I must warn you though I am working as a helpdesk team leader and level 2 so I will not currently be the most reliable proof reader you could have. That will change- I'd also do the editing of the wiki as long as I could use the members/whom ever is writing the book of slinging.org as a reference. (As long as you are happy with my work of course, and I need the practice. hmmm might be digging myself a hole there too. I don't like to disappoint anyone especially myself.)

And again I've got wordage, so I'll leave it there for now. Enough volunteering for today if you ask me.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)