Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Caltrops (Read 6794 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Caltrops
May 2nd, 2004 at 5:25pm

I've been reading a book by Vic Hurley titled,"Arrows Against Steel". He writes: "Another innovation in the use of the sling was the casting of caltrops, iron balls with projecting sharp points to disable horses and impede cavalry charges." This book is primarily on the history of the bow and arrow in warfare. He mentions the sling as another great missle weapon!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Caltrops
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2004 at 11:31pm

Huh, thats pretty neat. I think I should write up a little article describing the various historical ammunition. Caltrops, hot ceramic, lead, stone, darts (from that text I have yet to post Smiley ), and primitive (see below with staff sling) and modern grenades (WW1). 

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2004 at 11:35am

Chris, nice engraving with bows and staff slings throwing grenades!

Johnny,
you are finding many things in the historical texts!! Cheesy
The caltrops thrown by sling have been used initially by the Romans, and afterwards in Middle age by English, Italian, Spanish and others. This subjet is and old discussion in wich myself, Dan Bollinger and others were involved. The problem was to find the sort of sling that can throw the caltrops, as a conventional sling entangle the cords in the caltrop pikes. I posted then a drawing of Leonardo Davinci showing some sling designes that included, maybe, a sling to throw caltrops, but the drawing was deficiency and the discussion about it did not clarify the question, as the caltrop depicted may be in connection with the sling or with the device in the botton of the drawing, been the overlapping with the sling just a coincidence.
May be in this forum someone can find a full and better copy of the Davinci drawing.  

It´s interesting too in the Davinci drawing that splited shaft wit a stone between, a sort of staff sling that release the stone when you turn the wrist in the throwing.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2004 at 11:56am

Chris,Hondero
Those are some great illustrations!
I wondered what kind of sling could cast a spiked ball!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2004 at 12:02pm

Interesting.  I know that ninjas used caltrops; they were just four spikes, joined together, so that one always stood up, but they were not basically round, so I would not have considered them for sling ammunition.  Anyway, very interesting.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2006 at 7:49pm

they were basically the skeletons of a triangular based prism, and sometimes solid wood blocks were used instead of metal.  they were shaped like a little pyramid.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2006 at 12:10pm

I have heard of the sling caltrop also. it was supposedly used against war elephants in the Pelopennisian ( is that spelled right?) wars. however, it was taken from second and third hand information, so its veracity is doubtful.
  As to Leonardo's stone thrower, that is a Viking device called a skepifletta.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2006 at 12:21am

Looking at Leonardo's drawing closely,it appears to me that he shows a loaded sling with a mace-like spiked ball attached to the sling pocket that would allow the sling to function as a "morningstar" type flail in close combat. Look close and tell me what you think.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
i know it's egomaniac to qoute myself, but:
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 5:33am

Quote:
this made me remember one of the leonardo's drawings where he came up with an idea to sling morningstar heads.

if anyone don't know how norningstar/morgenstern looks like, i'll try to find a pic or two.

the trick was - how to make it that the spikes don't wear the sling off.

he removed pouch from his sling (and basically he just had a string now), and tied up the morningstar head to a short (one inch, or less) section of a metal pipe with some wire. so the spikes don't reach the pipe part.
now just get the retention cord trough the hollow of the pipe, the gravity centers it (when folded), and smooth pipe minimizes friction on the release.

i wouldn't like to learn a figure 8 stile with that one.

anyhow, try to draw it yourself, and you will see how simple it is.

/from the indoor ammo topic./

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 9:59am

I love it when i get to add my own acts into the possible reiactment of history.But i have cast many spike and very sharp forms of ammo from a normal sling with little or no trouble

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)