Send Topic Print
That Roman tool (Read 10744 times)
Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
That Roman tool
Apr 19th, 2004 at 4:18pm

Its a commonplace to say that the Romans had a surgical tool for removing slingshot from people, but what's the name of this? What is the ultimate source of this data?  ???

Thanks!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: That Roman tool
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 7:50pm

From the Korfmann article:
"Celsus, perhaps the most judicious medical author of Greek and Roman times, included in his treatise De Medicina instructions for extracting lead and stone sling missiles from the bodies of wounded soldiers."

Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 7:57pm

Off the topic Johnny--Are you Johnny Shunamite, the one who did the pictures of the slingers??

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 9:02pm

Shunamite! Lol!!!
I did the ones on the gallery page. I've done alot more, and would like to write and illustrate a book one day on slinging. Mainly about the ancient Greek, Balearic and Roman slingers.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 2:49pm

Quote:
From the Korfmann article:
"Celsus, perhaps the most judicious medical author of Greek and Roman times, included in his treatise De Medicina instructions for extracting lead and stone sling missiles from the bodies of wounded soldiers."

Johnny

So no surgical tool, just a technique... so far...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 7:32pm

Douglas
I've seen many different types of surgical tools the Romans used. I don't remember one specifically called "glande remover". I saw one that looked like a modern digital dialator (for looking up the anus and the vagina!). Maybe they would use it to spread open the wound(ouch!) and retrieve the glande. Can you say pain! I'll try and look for the book where I saw this.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 11:48am

The text of Celsus refers not only the technique but also a tool that he call there "forceps" but that of course is not the obstetrics tool  Grin  

Look at this painting on a wall of Pompeian ruins. A surgeon is extracting a glans may be with that tool. Iīd like to have a look at that picture you mention, Johnny, if you recover it.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 12:58pm

I was wondering if maybe it wasn't just a set of forceps.  Modern medicine, at least for English-speaking countries, takes a great deal of it's terminology from Latin.

Cool picture!

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 11:17pm

How do we know he's pulling out a gland and not an arrow?

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 2:04am

I think that if the artist wanted to depict an arrow would have drawn a bit of the shaft coming out of the leg  Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2004 at 10:27am by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 8:31am

Here are the "tools"
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2004 at 12:26am by Chris »  

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 10:22am

The latin word "forceps" means pliers and tweezers, so they could be some of those tools in the book, mainly the pliers though in the painting it looks a little different of those of the book that are specific for teeth. Itīs amazing the quality and development of Roman medical tools!

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 11:01am

Quote:
The text of Celsus refers not only the technique but also a tool that he call there "forceps" but that of course is not the obstetrics tool  Grin  

Look at this painting on a wall of Pompeian ruins. A surgeon is extracting a glans may be with that tool. Iīd like to have a look at that picture you mention, Johnny, if you recover it.

Due to the origin and dual nature of the Latine word "glande", the picture has a very strange aspect...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 11:04am

Thanks for the great info! The sling-stone removing tool is much more than a myth now! Smiley

IP Logged

ozymandias312
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:31pm

I dimly recall reading something in _The Red Branch_ (a sort of collection of the adventures of the ancient Irish -- who were expert slingers, BTW -- take Cuchulain for instance), about *suction by mouth* being used to extract penetrating sling projectiles. I can't cite you chapter and verse about this, however. It's been a while. But once more we have strong anecdotal evidence of *penetrating* wounds, not mere blunt trauma, however severe.

Oz

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)