Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Velocity and Penetration (Read 39234 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Velocity and Penetration
Reply #45 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:15pm

[quote]if i use a football shaped object with pointed ends(I sharpened a section of a railroad spike) I found that as it comes out of a sling with the spin it flies smoothly and one of the spikes is facing my target[/quote]
Bloody hell !
Be VERY careful where you sling stuff like that. Talk about your dangerous projectiles lol.
How long a piece of railroad spike did you use ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Monkeywjcr

Beware of flying rocks.

Front Royal VA
Reply #46 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:09pm

I attacked a tank with my sling and concrete ammo and I tought it was empty but then the top opened and a guy stuck his head out and shouted at my and I ran away. jk

If it fits in my sling and won't break DUCK!!!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 9:26am

[quote]I attacked a tank with my sling and concrete ammo [/quote]

Lmao - Umm, not sure there's an answer to that except to say, I have to admire your ambition if not your common sense ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:00pm

taken from The Sling in Literature - Michael Gillelan

The velocity required for a bullet to puncture the skin is sometimes given as 163 feet per second, to break a bone 213 feet per second. Modern sling projectiles have been clocked at about 130 miles per hour, or approximately 190 feet per second. We have no reason, therefore, to doubt the testimony of the ancient medical writer Celsus, who writes (7.5):

There is a third type of weapon that sometimes needs to be removed, a leaden bullet or rock or something similar, which breaking through the skin lodges inside in one piece. In all of these cases, the wound needs to be opened a bit wider, and what is inside must be extracted with pincers along the same pathway by which it entered.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #49 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 5:31am

Monkeywjcr wrote on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 12:09pm:
I attacked a tank with my sling and concrete ammo and I tought it was empty but then the top opened and a guy stuck his head out and shouted at my and I ran away. jk

LOL  Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #50 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 11:40pm

At the request of a forum member, I am reposting the following links.  I do so to prove that the biblical account of David's rock sinking 'deep into goliath's forehead' need not have been embellished.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5648598808576881556&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6333833449320039360

The rocks I sling for accuracy exercise are usually nearly the size of a closed fist and weigh in at 3 to 6 ounces.  Their velocity is usually around 150fps.  

Peace,

TS

P.S.  

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1254949/ninja_misdirective_double_shuriken_throw/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1255004/3_shuriken_in_fast_succession/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1254983/shuriken_distance_throwing/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1254968/fast_easy_shuriken_throwing/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1254917/shuriken_throwing_splitting_the_difference...
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:00pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #51 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Totally awesome shots.

Nice to hear from you again, Techstuf.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #52 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:36am

Hey Tint.  Thx.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Maximillion
Tiro

Having fun with my new
sling!

Kankakee Illinois
Reply #53 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:48pm

the chunk of railroad spike i used was about 3 or 4 inches an was sharpened with a taper from the point to the center and back to the point, took a long time to do, but me and cheebz had already done one side in a poor attempt to make spear heads

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #54 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 11:37pm

Techstuf, I like the videos! You really show the power behind the sling when the user is competent.

I'm not sure if I'd be confident leaning them on the side of a house though...  Undecided

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #55 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 10:56pm

Yes, it does take some time to achieve consistent accuracy with heavy ammo at appreciable speed.  I no longer practice often enough to feel comfortable slinging at targets leaning against my garage.  The video was hastily edited and gave some the wrong impression.  Getting a shot of the backside to show the penetration was an afterthought and goliath was already back in place leaning against the garage.

I've been known to throw a pretty mean shuriken on occasion....I might have to throw a clip or two up soon.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #56 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 8:00pm

[quote]I might have to throw a clip or two up soon.
[/quote]
Well go on then ;-)

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #57 - May 13th, 2008 at 1:23pm

There was another show on that tested the sling. it was another in the Mummy Forensics series.  However, this one did not bode well.

Thom Richardson, from the British Royal Armory was the slinger. His only reached 67MPH. They were trying to break a pig skull with it. As a result, the sling was regarded as ineffective. At that sped, i don't doubt it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #58 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:01am

buncha wimps - hell we'all could have done better than that :-)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #59 - May 14th, 2008 at 11:36pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1146852045/45#58 date=1210762875]buncha wimps - hell we'all could have done better than that :-) [/quote]

Without even using a sling too.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)