Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Locrian slingers (Read 21727 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Locrian slingers
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:29am

Nice you´ve  posted the pictures, Chris, the vase fragment is also in the Osprey book you mentioned, Johnny, but the picture of Chris is much better. The slinging start position of the slingers is very interesting, in effect, it  is used by all and seems to correspond to the style of those primitive Greeks. It is really similar to the Greek classic position of later times, unless the sling is over the head to begin slinging immediately. The Greek clasic position, as represented in coins and ceramics, is lower, to the height of the ear and allows better to aim or to concentrate in the target, but at the time of slinging it is necessary to also elevate the sling  over the head.

The depicted  scene it is the defense of a surrounded city at the doors of the wall by slingers (and archers) almost completely naked. The silver vase was not found in Troy, but in Mycenae, it is to say in the country of the Troy attackers, and corresponds to the same myhtical Homeric epoch.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2004 at 11:57am by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 10:05am

Thanks for getting the pics up!
The line drawing helps alot. I also like the archers, it kind of reminds me of the way Assyrian archers and slingers worked together.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 12:25pm

Assuming the slingers on the silver fragment are holding the pouch forward, it appears that one or both of them are left-handed.   I recall a Bible reference to left-handed slingers, though I can't recall where it is.   Why any significance to being left-handed, I wonder?        mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 1:27pm

Mgreenfield
Check out the scripture under my name. That is the one on the lefties!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:54pm

I am a left handed slinger.  Apparently there is a higher proprtion of geniuses who are left handed then right. Smiley Higher proprtion of madmen too. Grin

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 5:31pm

I'm a lefty, 4 of 5 of my kids, too.  Both their grandmas, etc, etc.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 5:42pm

I'm a lefty also, so is my mother. My son is left handed. Although I sling with my right hand.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:53pm

The slingers look right handed to me.  Plus, the archers are holding their bows in a right handed way. 

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #23 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 12:48pm

Yes, I think these slingers are right-handed, but it´s interesting the affair of left-handed slingers.

When I read for the first time in the Bible the text of the war of Israel against the Benjaminites, it surprised me that it was valued so much the presence in the Benjamin army of  "700 selected men, all left-handed people, able to hit a hair without failing the shot". It was evident that the characteristic of being left-handed seemed to be a good quality for a slinger. A small investigation on Biology put me clued in the matter: As all we know, our brain is divided in two hemipheres or halves that generally make different functions. The left brain is mainly responsible for the rational functions, the verbal thought, the language, the mathematical calcule, etc. The right brain is responsible for the intuition, the spontaneity, the handling of things, the imagination, the visualization, the feelings and emotions, etc. It has been observed that the left-handed people have the right brain more developed, that they have more functionality in it. It is logical as the right brain controls the left part of the body and vice versa. Then here is the secret. In "the way of the sling" article  I said that accuraccy is better with the intuitive shot, without conscious control or voluntary thought. It was also very important to put into play feelings and emotions to mobilize the spontaneous mechanisms of precision. It´s then clear that the left-handed people have all these capacities more developed than the right-handed, so they will become the best slingers, and in general they will be better in any intuitive discipline.

Well, left-handed buddies, mgreenfield, english, Johnny... the slingers team of the site trust in you for the near future  Cheesy.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2004 at 12:29pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 1:56pm

Hondero
I think you are so correct on this matter!
I can sling with both my left hand and right. As you know, I'm a professional artist (you can so some of my work on the gallery page) and I tend to view things and solve problems from the right hemisphere of my brain. Growing up, I was a good shot with my rifles, pistols and bow. I tend to "feel" the target instead of "figure out" the target. I hope this makes sense! I'm also horrible at mathmatical problems!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #25 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 5:21pm

Johnny, nice to be good-different for once!   Makes up for all that stuff with buttons/levers on the wrong side, ...like bolt-action rifles.   Thanks, Hondero!  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #26 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 9:37pm

All of us "Lefties" need to form a group within this forum called "The Benjaminites"!! What do you think?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 12:09pm

I know what you mean about feeling the target.  I too suck at mathematical problems.  I am a very good shot with a bow, and air rifle.  I also kick peoples' asses when it comes to fighting, not because of strength, but because I know in a way where they would hit or something.  All I know is that I can block punches well (at school, for PE, often we go into the fitness area and use sparring gloves to duel.  It is fun, but sometimes it hurts.)  Anyways, I am good at languages, I am too emotional for my own good, and all the other stuff.  I guess that makes me a classic lefty.  I can paint too, (not to your level though, Johnny.  Nice pictures!).  I read somewhere that Civil War (American, of course) sharpshooters on both sides were chosen for having grey eyes and being left handed.
Anyway, as you know, I am staunchly non-religious, but I would like to be part of any group of left handers.  There is way too much discrimination against us.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 12:15pm

Southpaws unite!  Down with right-handed oppression!  Down with 3-ring binders that put the rings under your writing hand!  Down with pens chained to the wrong side of the bank teller's window!  Down with 'ergonomic' computer mouses (mice?  mices?) that only fit the wrong hand!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #29 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 1:27pm

English
You sound like a real scrapper! I saw something on TV the other day advertising a video on soccer hooligans. I bet you're right in the middle of all that tussle!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)