Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Research source... (Read 2388 times)
LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Research source...
Sep 14th, 2003 at 9:33am

Within the past few months, I think the members involved in this site have come to realize what a great resource it is for slinging enthusiasts.  As Chris has mentioned, the traffic has been very good.  Thus, it’s certainly proving to be a value, especially for the slingers themselves. 

I have an idea that would help this website reach an even larger audience.  I think we should be a source for potential researches!  I myself am always grateful, when doing research, when I can find an easily accessible online source of information on a topic. 

Here is what I propose we do:  Create a link on the main page entitled Research Resources.  In it we could provide a list of all known references to the sling through history.  An annotated bibliography of sorts.  We could provide a list of sling pictures in primary source material.  We could, as has been done in a previous post, list all of the articles and books written on the sling.

That way, when a researcher investigates the site, he/she immediately knows where to look.  I think this would increase the traffic from some very elitist outside parties.  If a paper needed to be written or researched, they would come to us first. 

Throwing this list together might not be all that difficult either.  If you come across a reference or related topic when surfing the web or sifting through your library, be sure to write it down.  We could compile it over time. 

Anyway, it’s just an idea.  What do y’all think???

Leon

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Research source...
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2003 at 1:20pm

We certainly could provide references to books and such for people looking to research.  However, I think the jewel in this site is the forum.  It's a great way for enthusiasts and visitors to interact.  I think the success of this site depends of the activity of this forum.  Lately, it's been a bit quieter around here.  What we need to do is find ways to do what I explain on the home page, "rekindle the interest in this truly simple, effective, and historically significant weapon."

People are defiantly looking for information.  We've received over a hundred visitors so far this month just from goggle alone.  Links from other sites and other search engines are drawing in hundreds too.  What we need to do is coax them into joining the discussion on the forum.  I don't know if we can improve much in that sense.  Also, many people that register, never post. 

This is the problem with such a niche topic.  It's hard to build the momentum. 

What we really need to do is to change our visitor demographic from people already searching for information on slings to visitors who have no clue about slings.  Perhaps we could land a mention in some archeological or science magazine.   A way to attract people completely new to slinging.  This is another reason I think t-shirts are a great idea.  it's just more publicity for our favorite sport.  Also, getting links from other sites is important.  I try to contact primitive weapon groups I find online, asking them to link to this site.  If you guys run across related sites, let em' know about slinging.org. 

I recently help the BBC / Discovery Channel on a documentary about David and Goliath.  It is possible that they will link to us from the feature's web site.  I'll keep you posted on that.  They are still wrapping up filming as far as I know.

Chris

IP Logged

LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2003 at 10:53pm

I think your absolutely right about the forum being the jewel of the site.  Its a great way to interact, pass around ideas, and so forth.  I'm sure this will be the main attraction for general outside interests.

As far as attracting academics, I still think a bibliography link would be very benefical.  This could just be a simple one page list of all known sling references.  This would be a great resource for researches interested in searching for material for publication. 

I don't think this would take the place of the forum.  Especially in the realm of real life experience in slinging (something anthropologists like to call experimental archaeology).  By nature, we slingers will have more know how than any theorists.  Thus, for such experience, they will have to check out the forum. 

Again, I think a resource link will really get are name out in the academic community.  It would travel via a "Oh, your looking at researching ancient ballistic devices, then go check out the slinging.org site...", kind of deal. 

This is just a humble idea, any hoo.  Maybe something we can work on in the future. 

Smiley

Leon

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2003 at 12:07am

Sounds good to me.  People need to submit references to Rob's thread on reference materialw:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10630759...

If we can get 10 good book references, I'll put up a special page on the left navigation bar!  So far we've got 4.  Come on people,  You can do it!!

Chris

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2003 at 9:43am

Oh, here I was holding back on submitting all my references in hopes that others would fill my gaps.  Well, I've got about a total of 7 book and magazine articles, and many web page articles (though those tend to move and dissappear quickly).  I'll post 'em Wink

Leon, good idea with the reference page.  Just recently, I was trying to find some information on a certain subject, and the first website I tried gave me a great list of references for the beginner.  In that respect, I think that the internet is the most powerful research tool we have. 

Not to mention the Forum which allows access to ideas like never before.  Don't worry about the Lurkers, Chris.  Sometimes it just takes the right conversation topic to get them to come out of the woodwork.  But when they do, they usually have a great wealth of experience and information that they share.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)