Send Topic Print
new slinging munition (Read 4522 times)
harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
new slinging munition
Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:09pm

ha... you guys may enjoy this. do you guys remember what vortex footballs are. The ones with the tales? any way, they are the right size for a large sling, and they can go incredible distances! i used a small one and easily cleared a soccer feild and lost it into the woods behind. they have satisfying whistles too. but the release end tends to wrap around the tail of the ball every now and then, causing it to catch it and nearly jerk your arm off. the whistles are much louder when you wind them up before the throw.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: new slinging munition
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:15pm

are these vortex balls like the old fashioned fox tailes?  basically a long tail of fabric sewn to a baseball or the like.  lots of fun.   

anyways, maybe you could try trimming the tail a little?  that could also increase distance by reducing drag.    it just makes me wonder if the whistlers would be as effective, because the tail would drag less, allowing for a greater chance of tumbling, disrupting the noise generated.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:18pm

nevermind, i just googled it.  now i see what it is.  you could trim off that tail with a penknife or an exacto craft knife.  that could help.  also, since it is a football, there is a good chance that it would still spin in that way.

it sort of seems like an oversized cast lead glande.  funny how those shapes seem to re-occur. i suppose form followes function, or something like that.  either way, sounds like fun. Grin (pun intended)

edit:
this is my 300th post!

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:47am

Guten Tag, harryman, Wie geht's?                                             
     I see that you have been busy. Vortex footballs, you say? It never ceases to amaze me that with ordinary rocks being available for free, people will nevertheless experiment with all sorts of bizarre projectiles.
I guess it is the urge to build a "better mousetrap."                        
     Say, I was just reading an article in Primitive Archer magazine ( Spring 2006 ) about archery in Germany. Apparently there is growing interest even though it is expensive and difficult to find a good place to shoot. The sling is the obvious low cost solution to this problem! Is there much interest in the sling or other primitive weapons where you are? If not, perhaps you should "spread the art." I demonstrated my sling to some people last night and they were amazed, so of course I told them to go to the computer and look up slinging.org!                
     auf Wiedersehen                                                .......Dan

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 2:14am

Here in the Netherlands (next to Germany) archery is organiced in clubs, with buildings and outdoor ranges.
And has been a long time, at least 50 years, maybe much longer.

Sling and bow & arrow both are forbidden weapons and where there are places where you are alowed to shoot bow and arrow, (above mentioned ranges) there is nowhere to use the sling within the law.

So is it a cheap alternative?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 4:35am

Maybe the Netherlands are to small for save slinging?  Cheesy

In Germany certain slingshots are illegal, but bow and sling are not controlled by law. The IMO important passages (This is my understanding of the law, but IANAL.) in the WaffG are:

Definition (Anl.1 Absch. 1 Unterabsch. 2 Nr. 1.3):

Schleudern, die zur Erreichung einer höchstmöglichen Bewegungsenergie eine Armstütze oder eine vergleichbare Vorrichtung besitzen oder für eine solche Vorrichtung eingerichtet sind (Präzisionsschleudern) sowie Armstützen und vergleichbare Vorrichtungen für die vorbezeichneten Gegenstände.

The German word for slingshot and sling are the same, but our sling has no arm support so is not covered by this. In Anl. 2 Absch. 1 Nr. 1.3.7 this type of slingshot is forbidden.

A weapon not controlled by the weapon law (Anl. 2 Absch. 2 Unterabsch. 2 Nr. 2):

Schusswaffen und tragbare Gegenstände im Sinne von Anlage 1 Abschnitt 1 Unterabschnitt 1 Nr. 1.2.2, bei denen feste Körper durch Muskelkraft angetrieben werden, es sei denn,

- deren durch Muskelkraft eingebrachte Antriebsenergie kann durch eine Sperrvorrichtung gespeichert werden (z. B. Druckluft- und Federdruckwaffen, Armbrüste) oder - sie sind getreue Nachahmungen von Schusswaffen im Sinne der Anlage 1 Abschnitt 1 Unterabschnitt 1 Nr. 1.1, deren Erwerb der Erlaubnis bedarf.

This fits to our sling because the projectile is powered by our muscles and this energy is not storable. (A weapon where the energy comes from muscles but is storable is e.g. a crossbow.) Because slings and bows are not controlled by the law you can even carry them without permittance on e.g. fairs.

And regarding expensiveness ... slinging is certainly much cheaper than a bow, but bow shooting is the cheapest shooting sports organized in normal clubs. My father bought a used sports bow with case, arrows, ... for 160 EUR. Even for a used sports air pistol you have to spend at least twice as much.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 4:52am

[quote author=Willeke link=board=1;num=1145671748;start=0#4 date=04/22/06 at 02:14:50]Here in the Netherlands (next to Germany) archery is organiced in clubs, with buildings and outdoor ranges.
And has been a long time, at least 50 years, maybe much longer.

Sling and bow & arrow both are forbidden weapons and where there are places where you are alowed to shoot bow and arrow, (above mentioned ranges) there is nowhere to use the sling within the law.

So is it a cheap alternative?                                                          

Willeke,                                                                                     
     Dammit! Why is it that everything that is FUN is always forbidden????   Hmmmm.......after reading your post, I went back and reread the thread "Antwerp Slingers Meeting." It does in fact look as if you guys are trying to break windows in the old town. The baby carriage is a stroke of genius! And I hope that the buoy floating in the canal was not vandalized.  Embarrassed                                                                                                
     I have read that the Netherlands is one of the most densely populated and urbanized places in Europe, but based on the pictures you posted it seems that slingers are resourceful and inventive people
who will find a way! Cheesy                                      .......Dan          

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:32pm

Slinging in Antwerp was done in Antwerp, Belgium.
But there they have nearly the same laws on the sling and slingshot as we have.
But slinging towards the old town did add a little extra to the activity. (Not that we did get anywhere near those windows. Not even hit that buoy in the river.)

And as everywhere, if you are sensible and do not use stones where/when people walk you can get away with a lot.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 1:43am

Willeke,                                                                                       
     Antwerp is in Belgium? Why, so it is! I stand corrected. Embarrassed   
(Unless of course, you moved it just to confuse me. Wink )      

Actually, I like to think that my knowledge of geography is pretty good, but obviously not perfect. And you are right about being sensible. More common sense = fewer broken windows. I haven't broken one yet!                                              .......Dan      

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 2:00am

Guten Tag, Zwiebelteute,                                                             
     Thank you for the information and the interesting post. My German is actually rather rusty, but after a few minutes with a dictionary, I think I have got most of it.                              
     Danke sehr fur die Information. Bis demnachst.   .......Dan

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 7:05pm

wow I went to chucky cheese for my three year olds birth day party won lots of prizes for the kids at skeet ball one was a minature vortex foot ball. I hurled this very light thing several times it worked great. I am now in the works of making a metal and wood version. broadheads optional Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 7:40pm

thats sounds So wonderfull Shocked

when it's done  Grin Pictures Please!!!(willing to beg Tongue )

Taiki  
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 11:46pm

Guten Tag,

Ya, ive been using a similar sized vortex ball from america, comparable to the small one you have, but with whistles. but, it is the perfect shape to make a glande. i cut my "fletchings" of the back and then tilted them like the ones on an arrow, and then Gorilla glued them on. you can only wind up about twice or it will of set the ballance of the spin, and i havn't seen much of a noticable difference with performance. but i do believe a smaller gland and a thin fletching will achieve more performance. perhaps with a wooden one with weight  on the end would perform better. And i don't think believe slingshots are legal with permits, i've heard of them. and slings are not illegal at all. ive used them in parks in front of police and no one cares. the most expression of illegality was an angry mother worying about the well being of her childeren.

I don't live in Germany, but i'm German. i live in America. but soon i will be visiting family in frankfurt and munich this summer. i have family in Ulm mostly, it's where Einstien was born i believe. but i'm a yank.

Bis wir uns wieder treffen.
harryman

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #13 - May 1st, 2006 at 12:23am

Quote:
i have family in Ulm mostly, it's where Einstien was born i believe.

Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Panties...I'm sorry...Schumann, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Bach. Names that will live for ever. But there is one composer whose name is never included with the greats. Why is it that the world never remembered the name of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm? To do justice to this man, thought by many to be the greatest name in German Baroque music, we present a profile of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Grin Sorry, I couldn't resist Grin

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #14 - May 1st, 2006 at 1:26am

Grus Gott, harryman!  Smiley                                                            
      So, you are of German ancestry but you live here in the USA. And you have family in Germany and you will be visiting them this summer? Hhhmmmm, this suggests an interesting possibility! Do you
think any of your family members might be interested in learning a new skill? A NEOLITHIC skill?? You should make a couple of extra
slings to take with you to give as gifts. And be sure to direct everyone to Slinging.org! Well, just a thought.......                                       
      Tschau!                                                         .......Dan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)