Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
3 Slings I've made (Read 10970 times)
Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
3 Slings I've made
Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:27pm

Hey guys. I just thought I'd show you guys pictures of the three slings I've made. [sorry for the insanely huge pictures, but I don't know how to make them smaller Tongue]

larger image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/first_sling.jpg

This was the first sling I made. I made it out of cotton because it was the only string we had in the house... It's nice and soft, especially the fluffy tail, but it's VERY heavy.

larger image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/netted_sling.jpg

Probably not the best choice for my second sling ever, but hakuna matata (the past is in the past). The netted sling was INSANELY hard (probably because I didn't practice the knots much... Tongue). I got so frustrated while I was making the net that I started working on my chainmail to relax. Now that it's finished, it's not as nice as I was hoping for when I started, but much better than I expected halfway through.

larger image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/long_sling.jpg

This is my latest sling (I made it right after the netted one). I made it because I wanted a sling that would practically reach the ground when I held it (with my arm extended down, next to my leg). I love how much power I get with this sling.

I know one of you is going to suggest it, so I might as well mention it. What do you think about a sling with an [aluminum] chainmail pouch? Would that be a waste of chainmail? Would it hold the stone well, or would it just slip off? (metal = smooth) I'd like to hear your thoughts.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: 3 Slings I've made
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:37pm

Nice slings!
you can resize the pictures in photoshop or a similar photo editing software. If i have a bit of time, i can do it for you and send you the links.

the net's a lot better than i could do on my first try!

a rock might slide out of a metal pouch. if it was just sheet metal. but not if it was chainmail, especially if the chainmail had a pocket/ indentation for the ammo.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:57pm

Thanks. I edited them down to half size with a link to the full sized image (though I doubt anyone will want to see them that big). Below is an image of the chainmail I'm talking about. I think it might hold a rock better than a netting, but do you think it might not be flexible enough or it will fall apart from the wear & tear?

detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/chainmail.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 10:04pm

hmm, you have a better idea of the properties of chain mail than i do.

where can you get it (or the stuff to make it)?
does that chainmail have larger links than what was traditionaly used, or is that just my misconception?

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 10:25pm

Yay. Questions I can answer Grin.
I bought 16 Gauge "Shiny" Aluminum wire from http://www.theringlord.com. I then started making chainmail by winding the wire around a jumbo pencil with a hole drilled in it (to hold the wire). This was EXTREMELY painful and tedious and resulted in many blisters [and callouses Wink]. After a while I got "high tech" and made [with much much help] a machine to help me wind the wire into coils. This sped up the coiling process by about 30x. Anyway, you can see a coil (I just found under my bed [I thought I had them all cut]) on the contraption. I then used wire cutters to cut the coils into little rings. From there it's downhill, just bend the little rings open, slip them into other little rings, and bend them shut (hence the needle-nose pliars).
To answer your question, the size of the ring/chainmail depends solely on the diameter of the bar you wind the wire around. My rings are about 1 cm in diameter. I think it's roughly the size of the average chainmail. If you make the rings too small, they won't be able to move around, so it will lose its flexibility.

detailed image at: http://www.altay.vilko.net/DL/sling/chainmailstuff.jpg

&&
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 11:34pm

I think that chainmail is absolutely amazing!

Heres an idea for thought, take carbon fiber strands(before epoxy is applied) make little rings, glue together w/ epoxy and make a  Carbon fiber chainmail.

Extremely light, pretty strong(??), knife resistant material.

Or even better  kevlar strands!!! make a patch of chainmail(or mayb it would be kevlarmail) and use it for a pouch. The kevlar should almost never wear out!  The straps should fall apart before the pouch did!

Next project for me!  Chainmail anything! :-D  We'll see!

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 11:53pm

I'm not too familiar (aka haven't hear of:P) carbon-fiber and kevlar, and aluminum (I have over 10 lbs) is light, cheap, strong (for its weight), knife-resistant, easy to work with and most importantly
SHINY
Grin

Sorry, but I am absolutely obsessed with aluminum. Kevlar and carbon-fiber sound good (I assume you're familiar with them). If you're serious about trying to make chainmail, you can find a guide to making it at http://www.chainmailman.com/tutorial.html. I'm not too sure what non-metal chainmail would be like... Are kevlar and carbon-fiber rubbery or hard?

You may want to take a look at my chaimail link at my website (http://www.altay.vilko.net/), though currently it just has links to other chainmail pages.

About the idea of a chainmail-pouched sling, the hardest parts would be making the chainmail just the right size and hooking it to the sling. The easiest way to do this would probably be to make the chainmail pouch first, then braid the regular (http://www.slinging.org/20.html) pouch around/through the loops until you braided the entire pouch onto the sling.

&&
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 11:56pm

I think I'll start working on a pattern to make the chainmail in...
It would have to be diamond shaped instead of the regular square shape (yes, there is a big difference). If you're interested I could post a sketch of a design for this sort of pouch or perhaps a picture if I actually finish it quickly.

&&
IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:03am

Kevlar and Carbon fiber are just fibers, sort of like anything that clothing would be made of, except that they're extremely strong and light. Kevlar is so strong that it's used on the belly of airplanes to reinforce them. If you make a landing with the gear up, the paint gets scratched off but the plane suffers no structural damage. In addition, enough layers of kevlar are bullet resistant. But to be honest, if I had to make something to stop a knife, I wouldn't waste my time making a chainmail shirt out of kevlar, I'd just make a regular shirt out of several layers of kevlar and wouldn't have to worry about the fact that a well placed stab could penetrate the links in the chain. Plus the fact that it'd be much easier.

However, those are really nice slings. Good work!

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:14am

Chainmail can't be made with something as flexible as string. The material would have to be strong enough to mantain its shape in wire form. I can't imagine making chainmail with anything other than metal though. I have a feeling that a chainmail pouch is going to be a waste of effort Tongue. I think I've worked out a pattern though...

&&
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 1:21am

I believe Kevler sheets can be cut with ordinary scissors can't it?

Anywho, I think a chainmail sling is an awsome idea. I have a friend who loves to work with chain mail. I'll ask him what he thinks.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:44pm

kevlar is actually very difficult to cut with ordinary scissors. this is the reason it is used. It is just a very strong fiber. 

so something that holds its shape? just carbon fibers or kevlar(w/o epoxies) wont do i guess then.
im just gonna try to make some kevlar out of some thicker copper wire i have lieing around the house somewhere.

i would definately be interested in seeing that pattern for the chainmail pouch, if you have the time to put up a description and pics Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:45pm

There have been several discussions on chainmail slings already, and as far as I remember no real conclusion. But I think all chainmail for those slings was made of steel/iron. So yours will be much lighter in weight. The heavy weight was wat made using those slings hard.

And I do like the
big
pictures. I always want to see the closeups of the knotwork and braids.
An other way to save space but still show your work well is cut away all unneeded parts of the photos. You have nice carpet, but need not show it of.  Wink

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 2:15pm

Nah, it *cuts* fine, but it is relatively (to it's weight) hard to break by stretching, and is decent in abrasion. A bullet proof vest "catches" the bullet.

We use high-tech twines in some of the nets I design, and while they might be a little harder on the tools, they certainly aren't cut-proof.

Matthias

(flexible-fibre chainmail = knitting, more or less...)

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 9:26pm

It would be like knitting, only much harder. I wouldn't even try it because weaving it or netting it would be better.

I haven't been working on my chainmail pouch much because I was stuck at school until 5:30 PM (my ride's car's battery broke down). I was stuck with my sister, a tennis ball, my homework and... MY SLING!!! Poor neglected homework. I spent the whole time slinging the tennis ball and teaching my sister and a friend how to use the standard figure-8 style throw. As soon as they caught on (about 30 minutes...), they were addicted to the throw. It's SOOO fun. I practice it without the sling (just the hand motion and steps) in the hallways. Everyone that sees my sling loves it. And everyone wants it, but no one wants to make one. Excuses vary from no string to too lazy... Well, I gave the short cotton one away, but I'm definately hanging onto my netted one. They'd have to wrestle me down to take it from me. Roll Eyes

Anyway, back to the topic. I can post a little picture of what I plan to do, but it probably won't be very clear and a tutorial to make the pouch would be hard for anyone who doesn't know how to make a basic 4-in-1 pattern. Grin

&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris)