Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Illustrations for 'The BOOK' (Read 1919 times)
slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Illustrations for 'The BOOK'
Feb 5th, 2006 at 2:28am

I know this has been brought up before, but what exactly are we going to do for the illustrations in the book? It struck me that most of the photos on this site, while being perfectly suitable for their job, aren't exactly professional. Don't take me wrong, I am not a total perfectionist, and neither am I dissing the photographers, but, if we are trying to write ''the'' definite reference work on the sling, then we gotta act it.
I have my ideas in how to fix that, and I would love it if you could post yours.

Ok, my ideas -

I. For the historical stuff (like pictures of bronze-age-slingers) we will probably have to use paintings (or photos of old murals and art). I know there are quite a few artists in this comunity, and I think it would look best if all the paintings were done by one person.

II. For the photos of casting styles and sling types etc,  we should have one person (a good potographer) go over all the pictures and redo them so as to look uniform.

II. Another idea for those would be to do all the photos as black and white sketches. I personally would prefer this method.

III. Everything else - do what you like to it. soon enough, I'll have opinions, but not yet.

(not that my personal opinions matter, in the overall scheme of things. There are over six hundred members, all with opinions)

So, tell me what you like, tell me what you don't agree with, tell me if you think all the current photos are fine.
   Let chaos rule! Grin

EDIT - one way of making the sling construction giudes easier would be to have full written guides for a basic sling, then just have sketches for the others. If the drawing were done well, it wouldn't be hard to figure out how to make the sling. Any tricky or hard-to-show parts could be explained in writing.
   I think this would make the book a lot more tidy.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006 at 3:27pm by slingerkid »  

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Illustrations for 'The BOOK'
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 10:51am

I am a professional artist, among other things, so I would be happy to help illustrate "THE BOOK."

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:20pm

What is The book?

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:40pm

Well, right now it only exists in our dreams. But hopefully, one day, Chris (with a little help from the slinging community) is going to publish a book about the sling. Check out the wiki.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)