Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Roman Slingers vs. War Elephants (Read 14664 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Roman Slingers vs. War Elephants
Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:26am

Anyway, I found the reference. It was written by Dionysius of Halicarnassus, about the battle of Pyrrus.

" In battle they use wagons to counter his elephants, mounting bowmen, hurlers of stones, and slingers, who threw iron caltrops."

Personally, if the Bug Bunny cartoons have taught me anything, I would have just used mice. Shocked

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:51am

" In battle they use wagons to counter his elephants, mounting bowmen, hurlers of stones, and slingers, who threw iron caltrops."

Ah, NOW we see the violence inherent in the system. Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, Help, I'm being repressed!

Pat

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 6:27am

Bloody peasant! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #33 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 11:32am

Found  another reference!!
  This one is from the Battle of Thapsus. The African General Scipio was using elephants against the Romans.
  " Meanwhile, the slingers and archers on the right wing hurled rapid vollies of missles at the dense mass of elephants, with result that the beasts, terrified at the whistling of the sling shot and the showering of stones and lead bullets, turned round and began to trample down their fellows."
   Pretty impressive. I can just see the war stories '" No s--t, there I was, me against a hundred, a stone my only weapon."

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 3:51pm

When War elephants didn't work.... do you think the idea of War Tigers ever came to anyones mind?

*my fake reference*

"... and the War Tigers turned on their masters the moment they were released, killing all of the army. Then they went on to attack the other side, and both armies died. on that day, two civilizations fell to ruins... And a lot of tigers feasted like kings."

Hmm.... I should make a book!

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #35 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 12:23pm

I suppose it makes more sense, than, say war aardvarks

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #36 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 1:43pm

Or War Badgers! Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #37 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 3:37pm

"And the War Badgers charged first into battle! The enemies came out and killed all the badgers immediately and fled the battlefield! While they were all talking to a skinner to make badger hats, We conquered their land!"

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Eleatic Guest

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:00pm

Hello,

when did the Romans start using the fustibalus?

I know, late Roman writer Vegetius mentions them, but was the weapon already in use in Republican times?

Regards

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #39 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:17pm

This question can be put out in a general forum type of entry.  That way, more people will see it.
  As for your question, I haven't found any references to fustibals any earlier than Vegetius. that doesn't mean that they weren't there though. Slingers did not occupy a high rank in the Roman army at this time, so were frequently not mentioned.
  Anybody else, can you help??

IP Logged

kid_slinger
Tiro

OW! MY EYE!

connecticut
Reply #40 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 3:19pm

Fritz, mice only scare elephants in cartoons, haven't you learned that yet?

my brother is siguy!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #41 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:17am

its a lie its not true Shocked cartoons Lied to me ? Shocked...*childhood inocence lost forever*  Cry

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)