Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Roman Slingers vs. War Elephants (Read 14661 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Roman Slingers vs. War Elephants
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 4:05pm

This is getting off topic, but Leeds mentioned funny weapons.
  During the first Gulf War, the Scottish regiments were sent over to help fight. Along with them went bagpipers. The Iraqi, never having heard such a thing in the desert, filled their pantaloons and ran away. True Story!!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 4:21pm

True story... there have been bagpipes in the middle east for 3000 years, and lots of reed hornpipes and bagpipe precursors. The Scots certainly don't have a monopoly on wailing Wink

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:42pm

I believe the Jordanian Arab Legion has a pipeband as do the Saudi Arabians.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006 at 6:34am by bigkahuna »  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #18 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 2:34pm

Sadly the elephants that Claudius Caesar brought with him when he invaded Brittania were not War elephants - they were virtually circus elephants! They were minus Towers, minus crew - they just led them onto the field of battle. He also took camels for the same reason. Julius had mentioned how the best troops in the Brit army were the Chariots, so they took nellies and Joes along to scare the horses.

The only use of war Elephant I know of by Romans were during the macedonian war and by the Pompeian forces under Ahenobarbus in Africa.

Pat

IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 6:27pm

Quote:
 This is getting off topic, but Leeds mentioned funny weapons.
 During the first Gulf War, the Scottish regiments were sent over to help fight. Along with them went bagpipers. The Iraqi, never having heard such a thing in the desert, filled their pantaloons and ran away. True Story!!

Might want to recheck sources on this.  Iraq was created by the British carveup of the Ottoman empire.  They heard a lot of bagpipes during that administration.  I don't know about the Iraqis current status regarding bagpipes, but their brothers in Jordan continue to play at official ceremonies and have a renowned bagpipe school.  Nice segement featuring them in the recent documentary "Bagpipe:  Instrument of War"

Still, anybody could be excused for accidents if a bunch of angry Scotts were piping at ya.

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 4:49am

Don't forget the Gurkhas. Even the Japanese have pipe bands these days with feather bonnets and the full kit Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Leeds_lobber

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 5:45am

"Might want to recheck sources on this.  Iraq was created by the British carveup of the Ottoman empire.  They heard a lot of bagpipes during that administration.  I don't know about the Iraqis current status regarding bagpipes, but their brothers in Jordan continue to play at official ceremonies and have a renowned bagpipe school.  Nice segement featuring them in the recent documentary "Bagpipe:  Instrument of War"

Still, anybody could be excused for accidents if a bunch of angry Scotts were piping at ya. "

Heh, I too have often wondered about the 'terrifying effect' often ascribed to the dreaded Pipe. I wonder if its not just an excuse..... "The Ferkin Devils in Skirts are coming - they are all loonies... hey! they have bagpipes! Run away from the bagpipes, run away from the bagpipes, look everyone we are fleeing from the unfair bagpipes, NOT the maniacal redhaired loonies in dresses with great big swords and a gut full of whiskey!"

Pat

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 12:09pm

There are also references ( gimme a few days to check my files) to slingers firing off caltrops for uses against elephants. A bunch of then in front of you would make any animal think twice, I think.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #23 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 4:11am

Quote:
  The other thing to do is incorperate it into your army. When Caesar invaded Britannia, he brought elephants along with in as part of the army. On top of them were towers, in which archers and slingers fired.
  Of course the Britons, having never seen anything like it , cried "Run away! Run away!"

But then the Britons started countering the Elephants with large wooden Badgers Grin Grin

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #24 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:34am

Run Away! Run Away !

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pat

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #25 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:09am

HA HA  and with very sharp teeth! Grin Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #26 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:06pm

Badgers? Badgers? We don' need no steenkin badgers!

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #27 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:29am

They could grip it by the husk.

Pat

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #28 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:17am

Is it a european swallow or an african swallow?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #29 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:05pm

Grin Grin Grin  It's not a question of where he grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratios. Grin Grin Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)