Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Read This and Post Your Opinion (Read 4914 times)
slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Read This and Post Your Opinion
Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:17pm

Ok. I have a preposal to make. So listen up everybody, and no throwing tomatoes.   Grin

I have noticed that this sub forum is devoted to writing a book on the history and use of the sling. But another thing I have noticed is that this Goal has been around for more than a year, and we still only have a few chapters written.
Now, I believe we should be able to do better. This forum has become all talk and no work. Hey, even I need to get serious.

So, my Idea is this - (drumroll please)

I believe we should create a wiki, and have the book based there. This would mean that we could have the outline on the front page, then if you wanted to contribute a chapter, a paragraph, or even just suggest improvements, anybody could do it.
 The outline itself could be a contents page, and if you want to contribute all you have to do is click on the chapter, open the page, and click edit.

For example, look at how wikipedia is going. If they all just sat around and said, 'hey we need an entry on solar panels' it would probably never get done. you actually have to do it, and IMHO writing a whole chapter is daunting.

Remember what somebody said when they started this forum - we have more than 400 members, and that means a storehouse of knowledge about the sling.
Well, something like that anyway.

I know this isn't a total fix-it solution, but I do believe that it would make things actually happen.

Please post your ideas!

What is a wiki? check out http://pbwiki.com/wiki.php

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Read This and Post Your Opinion
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:28pm

what if someones info is wrong? maybe we would have to submit the info first then write?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:45pm

Well, first of all, it is easy to delete information and even pages.
Secondly, if people are asked to state their sources of note that it isn't concrete evidence, then we shouldn't have any more trouble.
Before a chapter is finished, we could always invite the more knowledgeable here to go over the information and pick out any errors.
I mean, We don't doubt the truth of anything posted in the forum, and if we do, we ask people. Why not do that in the wiki?

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 11:19pm

I don't think its a bad idea. A Wiki-article on the sling is a great thing, except that one has already been done. And it seems with it being so easy to edit and delete something in the article, that whenever anyone writes something in the article another doesn't agree with, all they do is go in and change it and it goes back and forth. I posted some info on the sling in wikipedia not too long ago, and lo, I went back about a week later to look up something I had written, and someone had deleted it all and written in their personal thoughts on how you throw with a sling.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 1:42am

1 this has been brought up before, there isn't one so there proably won't be one.

2 this is chris's book. Some of us are just helping out with it. But he is the man that will make the money off of the sales(?)

3 if you are still feal you would like to have the book posted you would proably be better off email Chris directly.

info@slinging.org

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 6:13pm

Ok, a few things to clear up.

1) A wiki has been created for use here:
http://www.slinging.org/wiki

2) This isn't my book.  I don't want it to be either.  I want this to be a group project.  A wiki could facilitate this.

3) If the book is published, I don't foresee it making much money.  Anything that comes off the sale of the book could go to support the site.  If it is a New York Times Bestseller, then I don't see why we can't all share.  Mostly this is an opportunity for everyone who is enthusiastic to help out a good cause and an interesting project.

4) This isn't going to be a wiki page like the one on wikipedia.  This wiki will serve as an "editing grounds" for an entire book.  I envision having many chapters, even subsections, and people can go in an edit little bits at a time.  Perhaps one section will be dedicated to slings in Medieval Europe.  We developed an outline a while back that could serve as a starting point.

5) I don't have much experience using wikis, so if someone wants to take point for a while, email me.  info@slinging.org

Chris

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:15pm

Looks like a great start Chris (amazing how throwing up an outline is enough to get a wiki rolling). It would be fantastic if this gave us some of the collective impetus we need to get the project rolling again - I know I've been sitting on a bunch of stuff that should probably be added to the physics section. I'll have to see if we can haul Hondero and Jurek out of retirement to vet some of it.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 4:16pm

Quote:
I don't think its a bad idea. A Wiki-article on the sling is a great thing, except that one has already been done. And it seems with it being so easy to edit and delete something in the article, that whenever anyone writes something in the article another doesn't agree with, all they do is go in and change it and it goes back and forth. I posted some info on the sling in wikipedia not too long ago, and lo, I went back about a week later to look up something I had written, and someone had deleted it all and written in their personal thoughts on how you throw with a sling.

I see what you're saying, but it's easy enough to monitor, and this is not affiliated with Wikipedia servers, so the general public isn't going to come in and mess stuff aroung. For those of you who don't know, you can use the 'history' page on articles to check for bad edits or vandalism

IP Logged

slingerkid in tasmania

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:58pm

hey.  I would loike to ask if you guys think it would be a good idea to have an outliine of the book posted on the wiki; with each subsection (=chapter in book) being a link to a page. any information on a sub-section could be placed here.
what ya think?

p.s. I am really Slingerkid, except i am using a library computer while on holiday overseas - and just happened to forget my password. It is saved on my computer, but that is 2,000 + km away ):

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 2:06pm

P.S I think you should have a link to the wiki at the top of the page, to make navagation easier.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)