Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Viking slings/slingers (Read 25898 times)
Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Viking slings/slingers
Dec 12th, 2005 at 3:58pm

Uhm, this section looks like to be history. Roll Eyes
But, as the Norwegian slinger I am, I would like to know something about viking slings/slingers!
What style did they use? What did the slings look like? How much was the sling used?

Gard
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2006 at 12:45pm by Gard »  

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Re: Viking slings/slingers
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 6:09pm

I don't think they used slings

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 9:38am

I think they did, but primarily preferred axes, swords and such weapons. there was a weapon called a Viking Catapult, which was an open triangular frame, bound together with cross beams, at the centre of which was a stretchy cord connecting to either side of the frame, a pocket, into which a missile was placed. A man would sit inside the frame, pull back the pocket, and release the missile high and away. Primarily used for sieges, if I remember correctly. although, given the norse proclivity for lightning raids and fast movement, I don't think they much cared for the idea of siege warfare, although, there are times when they did engage in it and masterfully execute it.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 11:49am

I remembered having read something about viking-slings, it must have been on this site so I did a quick search and I found this: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11319385...

If you search for viking yourself, you will find many more threads in which they are discussed.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 4:20pm

The sling must have been used in England, Scotland, and Ireland, so the vikings should at least have picked it up there.
In the Historical Gallery there is a picture of a viking slinger, a Danish one, but if the Danish vikings used the sling, the Norwegian vikings sure copied! Roll Eyes

Gard

P.S. This is my post number 200! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:20pm

Yes they used both slings and a fustibal like device.

The historian Saxo Grammaticus mentioned them in the battle of Bravellir ( Bravalla) It was called a skepifletta. It was a stick with a slot in the top. It fired off pieces of sharp flint.
   Also, the anonymous author of the Speculum Regale, a 12th cent. book on ruling, says that it is best to learn all weapons, but it is especially good to learn the sling and fustibal.
  2 slings have been dug up in Norway. These in facr, are the only remains of slings found from the Middle Ages.
   You can also look into Scandinavian Archeology, by Haakon Shetlig, for more info on Scandinavian slings

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Yobolobobo
Descens

I Heart Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:24pm

Gard, how did you get so many posts?  I've been here much longer than you and I only have 66!

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:07pm

I don't know, it says you registered May 15 and he registered on Jan 18th.
I just checked my own date, and I suddenly realised I've been here more than a year. I registered on Dec 2, 2004 after being here as a guest for a long time! That, and I am only like 41 posts away from being a godly member. MUHAHAAH

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:57am

Gard, you might also want to doa search on Asatru/Heathen Weapons. Just an idea.

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 9:26am

Quote:
Gard, how did you get so many posts?  I've been here much longer than you and I only have 66!

It isn't too much to do here far up in the middle of Norway!
I have been here longer than you, if you had made an account three days later, you'd been 5 months after me!

I once saw a picture of a viking sling. I cannot find it now, but I'm pretty sure it was a viking sling.

Gard

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 10:40am

MammotHunter,
Check the amount of posts needed, I was 3 posts away from that status when it changed. (I do not know how many more I need now.)

Gard,
Would there be more about vikings and slings in Norwegian?
I remember having seen a picture of a viking sling too, must have been on this site or as a link from this site so keep searching.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 12:54pm

Gard, the slingsI mentioned that were found? They were found in Hedeby Norway. I assume you can find that. I found this reference in Barbarian Warriors- England by Sussana and Dan Shadrake.
  Also, check out if you can, Manfred Korfmann,s article.
  The Sling as a weapon in Scientific American Vol. 229 # 4 Oct.1973
  He also wrote other books on slings and bows, but they are written in German.
  Also, the Copenhagen Museum has Viking age sling stones on display.  ROAD TRIP!!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:39pm

I searched in Norwegian, but couldn't find anything.
I checked Manfred Korfmann's article, but couldn't find anything saying anything. The were lots of things in Russian, and lots of things talking about this article, but not the article.

Gard

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 10:07am

Sory that you can't get the article. If I were scanner capable ( or just computer capable) I would send you mine. I'm sure there are others on this site that couldhelp you. Maybe if you ask nicely??

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 10:38pm

The sling was used by viking. They used sling generally in the starts of the battles. I am pretty sure that there was no set viking slingers. Just a viking that brought his sling to the party

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)