Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making corners (Read 1968 times)
Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Making corners
Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:49am

I am making a new frame for my treb, but I'm not sure what the best way is too attach the cross sections of wood. Should I get nails longer than four inches or should I get those metal joint things. I would like something cheap, easy, and won't damage the wood much. I may reduce the 2x4's to 2x3's.

Any additional info needed, let me know.

Thanks

I can draw better, really. Just drew this real quick. Give me a ruler and I can make awesome perspectives! Grin

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Re: Making corners
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Metal brackets and wood screws would be your best bet. Things like treb shake and vibrate violently with each shot, so nails would be considerably loosened over time

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:43pm

If you have the knowledge and the time, it would most likely be better to make a proper wood connection, like one where you take a part of the wood away on both pieces and they fit into each other, and add glue to that.

If you have never done any woodwork before or want to be able to reuse the wood for a different project, try to get the metal connectors / corners that are the biggest size the wood will fill. Screw tight and add glue for long lasting connections.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:31pm

Willeke, I'm not sure what the exact name of what it is your talking about, but something like a dovetail joint? That will take a little more time than I would like. Nor do I have any experiance with it yet, so it will take me even longer to make.

I was thinking about using metal joints but I just wanted to see if there were alternitives to it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:49pm

try dowel conections all you need is a drill some dowels som bar clamps and a libral amout of wood glue I would say two for each corner if glued properly the joint will be stronger than the wood
just a thought

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:07pm

I considered that, but because I'm attaching a 2x4 to a 4x4 I couldn't get a dowel thick enough for a strong join. If I did get one thick enough I would be afraid the the walls of the 2x4 would not be strong enough to hold either.

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:11pm

I just thought though, perhaps I could re-inforce the 2x4 with other pieces of would. I'll price dowels and metal joints and go with whichever one seems like it will work best.

Thanks again

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:15pm

the dowels are not for support 1/4 in dowels would be big enough the dowels are just connectors the glue and the 2x4 are what will make the joint strong beleive it or not nails and screws actuly weaken  work causing micro cracks and fisuses that later lead to splitting and breaking

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:24am

Now me I pretty much always go for overkill in wood joints. Glue - pu (gorilla glue) for preference and screws and if you have the angled brackets then slap them on as well :-)

Glue it and screw it and then tape it, strap it, joint it and bracket it :-)
Then remove the wood as you probably won't need it.

I'm not an elegant woodworker, proper joints and dowels take too much time for me :-)

And that's pretty good draftsmanship by my standards :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)