Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anything primitive (Read 1664 times)
Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Anything primitive
Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:06pm

Hello. I have lots of questions, just of a lot of primitive things, so I thought I'd make a thread just for these non-thread-worthy questions. I bet other people have the same kind of questions, so please post them here! I didn't write all of them, so I will add more later.
1) I'm thinking about making a wooden flanged mace. I'll put a pic up soon. Would this work (at being lighter and sharper)?
2) What do you prefer, cutting or thrusting swords?
3) How long does pitch stay on fire for?
4) Do people find it annoying if I or someone else were to bring back some old interesting threads, or would that be good?
5) Why couldn't people in the Middle Ages use the cestrosphendone? It would probably be effective against mail armor.

Ok I've thought of more:
6) How could a wooden paddle-club be made? It's like a canoe paddle, but it a weapon. I don't know how short of cutting down a foot wide tree.
7) How lethal would a slung rock be if it was shot by a newbie (and hit anywhere)?
8) Where would very thick leather be found? I'm thinking around 0.25" stuff.
9) How much harder does fire-hardening make wood? Would hardening a whole wooded weapon be more effective than just the striking point?
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2005 at 5:11pm by Chaotic Rage »  

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Anything primitive
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:45pm

Quote:
2) What do you prefer, cutting or thrusting swords?

I would think that you would need a sword that could do a little of both. Also prefer to what. I wouldn't take a two handed claymore to fight agaist a ninja sword. So i guess it would depend on your opponet. If you want it for looks, the bigger the better.

Quote:
5) Why couldn't people in the Middle Ages use the cestrosphendone? It would probably be effective against mail armor.

Why use it when your life depended on it when you could use a bow and arrow and be a lot more accurate. The bigger bows could go though just about anything.

Quote:
4) Do people find it annoying if I or someone else were to bring back some old interesting threads, or would that be good?

It, to me, is all in your approach to it. If you post a smiley to a post that is two years old, it is annoying. But if you bring it back and say something like, "Just brought this back up to the top to see if anyone knows anything more, or here is my experiance with it." Than to me it is alright.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:37am

The length of time pitch will stay on fire depends on the size of the lump. I've had pieces as small as your thumb tip burn for about 15 minutes. Hopefully by then the rest of the fire is going.
  I imagine it also depends on the type of pine you get it from. Some pines are more resinous than others.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 12:00pm

1) it's a wooden mace, yes it will work and yes it will break much easier than a metal one and do less damage. Where's the problem ?
2) axes and staffs
3)  till it goes out - come on it depends on how much pitch you have. Find some light some, and time it if you must :-)
4) old threads re-born are cool - but I'm with gun, try and add something new to it as well.
5) like me they probably didn't know what it was :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:14pm

a sling that shoots a heavy arrow. i like to call it the kestros.  Smiley

I could never ever ever get that kestros to work! I think that i made about 10 of the things, and still i cant get it to work. When i throw the cords get all wraped around each other, and the arrow twists.

I may try the staff sling kestros some day.  Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 5:50pm

1) here's the idea: http://tinypic.com/fjqjcj.jpg
2) Myself, I like cutting. No reason, I just think they are cooler.
5) DtB, I seem to be having the same problem! The couple of times it worked, it went about 250 feet with sidearm, but I can't get it to hit anything.
And to everyone, please put those questions you've been waiting to ask here!

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 9:51pm

Cutting swords for me definitely. I like to heft the weight and swing.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)