Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
kata (Read 6272 times)
SofaGeorge

I sling tennis balls for
my dog.

Re: kata
Reply #30 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 4:22pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark  link=1130706953/20#28 date=1132159692]sofa george - there's a form of judo that uses kata ?

How's that going to work - used to do judo as a kid and it's pretty much a hands on system no strikes, kicks (as such) etc. Not sure what you'd be practicing.
But it would certainly be interesting to see.

[/quote]

Yes, kata are integral to gaining high level judo ranking.  You can see a listing of the forms at

http://judoinfo.com/katamenu.htm

It is a Catch 22.  You can't advance beyond 1st dan black belt without studying the forms... and most serious fighters aren't interested in studying the forms.

If the fast life kills you - you'll have no regret
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #31 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:53am

DTB: choose door made from two thin boards and filled with woodchip substance. You can actually kick through these if you are determined enough Shocked. Otherwise, kick around the lock repeatedly and hope for best Wink.
SofaGeorge: It is not a catch 22, it is a question if a being more than 1st level black belt is the same as being a serious fighter for you. For me - no.

And yes, master of The Way of The Razor Gland is comin' on us with his anvil in pouch of his mighty sling Cheesy.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #32 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 12:53pm

Kata are an integral part of most traditional Japanese systems. This is fact and indisputable.
But that doesn't meant that they are integral to a persons development and growth as a fighter.

It is the classic "knowledge/power" mixture, and not knowing enough of one will eventually hit you in the back of the head Wink

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)